concussion

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I need to spend a day in the library at wachter to find your picture in there. My wife is a counselor there now.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
yeesh

then again - quite a few here have lost part of a day - and don't remember how they got home ;:;boozer

is the damage done under both scenarios equal do you suspect? hmmm....

I lost a chunk of a car once, for this same reason. Thought I'd just go home, nobody would know. Turns out the chunk of the car also had my license plate on it. No, I did not hit another car. But, who knew that my chevy cavalier shouldn't be off-road?

I couldn't even have hidden from Barney Fife...

- - - Updated - - -

Man am I glad I quit organized sports to skateboard and smoke pot. Probably saved me from long term disability.

Who'd a thunk it?:;:smokin

Nobody ever broke their leg sitting around on the couch smoking cigarettes. I know this for sure.

- - - Updated - - -

I need to spend a day in the library at wachter to find your picture in there. My wife is a counselor there now.

I can hook you up. twas easy enough to find him. Although guy, for a couple bootleg indomethacin tablets, you can remain in the shadows.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I never played football because it messed with a good portion of hunting season. My knees are thanking me...and maybe my head?

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I lost a chunk of a car once, for this same reason. Thought I'd just go home, nobody would know. Turns out the chunk of the car also had my license plate on it. No, I did not hit another car. But, who knew that my chevy cavalier shouldn't be off-road?

I couldn't even have hidden from Barney Fife...

- - - Updated - - -

Nobody ever broke their leg sitting around on the couch smoking cigarettes. I know this for sure.

- - - Updated - - -

I can hook you up. twas easy enough to find him. Although guy, for a couple bootleg indomethacin tablets, you can remain in the shadows.

PM sent

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I never played football because it messed with a good portion of hunting season. My knees are thanking me...and maybe my head?

In the good ole days, we just left from football practice and drove straight to the farms of a few friends. Saturday morning hunts were a bit more difficult as the legs didn't always want to cooperate.

Nothings worse than being at deer camp when you have 15 pounds to lose and the smell of sausage is emitted from every piece of clothing you own.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does your wifes let you drink beer in the garage...haha

I plan on having a couple while watching Trump and the gang tonight.

mrs johnr lets me drink beer in the house.

I am thinking it might have been about 14 when the first can was drank.. Might actually explain a lot.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
18? - man you fought one heck of a fight
;:;bowdown

My mother said I made up for lost time in my Senior year, though. That was a fun year.

- - - Updated - - -

Does your wifes let you drink beer in the garage...haha

I plan on having a couple while watching Trump and the gang tonight.

mrs johnr lets me drink beer in the house.

I am thinking it might have been about 14 when the first can was drank.. Might actually explain a lot.

I think my wife would let me drink beer in the shower if I chose to do so.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Played FB until I was a sophomore. I was a 135 lb slot back and got hit so hard by the 235 lb senior MLB jumping to catch a pass during practice that I ended up in the 3rd row of the bleachers with a broken arm and intermittent consciousness. He hit me while I was in the air at full speed and that was that. The injury wasn't the issue and I was not angry with the MLB either. He was just doing his job. It was the coach joking about "our defense is casting bodies all over the place" at the next pep fest and the student body laughing about it. It was then I realized that I, as well as my efforts and work, were not important to anybody and I never set foot on the field again. I got a job, bought a truck, and went hunting and fishing every weekend from then on. Now as I look back at 45, my knees, neck, back, hips, and every other part of my body is in fine working order and for that I am eternally grateful to that 235 lb MLB who with one hit, showed me the truth.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
My mother said I made up for lost time in my Senior year, though. That was a fun year.

- - - Updated - - -

I think my wife would let me drink beer in the shower if I chose to do so.

Nothing wrong with drinking a beer in the shower, just ask me as I do it once in a while. ;:;boozer

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I cant think of a better way to prevent concussions than to add a simple

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Snowmobiles were tough on me,One cussion for sure and the other time the helmet saved my life. My first time was when I was about 14 a couple of days after Christmas the year that I got my first snowmobile helmet ever, Man I was proud of that helmet. My parents never did find out, I spent my hard earned money for a new helmet and Even had to get my eyes checked because of the headaches were hard to cover up. For that reason we have been buying new helmets for the grandkids at Christmas every other year. They are a good gift IMO.

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am a coach and former HS and college athlete. Things are different now. I'm betting many of us have had concussions but never knew it. I can remember a couple. I was never diagnosed but when you can't see and are staggering after collision-you don't need a doctor to tell you. The big factor with concussion is healing time. If an athlete receives one they need proper time to let that bruise heal. Usually about 2 wks. Most issues happen when athletes get repeated trauma before healing.
I know a way to reduce concussions in football. Go back to the old leather helmet days-no facemasks. Yep, back in those days they could actually tackle. They would use shoulders and wrap up. Now days guys are bigger, faster, stronger and all want the "big hit." NFL has the worst tacklers in football. All they do is throw their bodies and heads at ball carriers. If had leather helmets...i bet you see better form tackling!

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
NFL Executive Admits to CTE Link

This is the first admission by a league official that there is such a relationship.

WASHINGTON (AP) — An NFL official has acknowledged a link between football and the brain disease CTE for the first time.

Jeff Miller, the NFL's senior vice president for health and safety, spoke about the connection during an appearance Monday at a congressional committee's roundtable discussion about concussions.

Rep. Jan Schakowsky (D-Ill.) asked Miller: "Do you think there is a link between football and degenerative brain disorders like CTE?"

Miller began by referencing the work of Boston University neuropathologist Dr. Ann McKee, who has found CTE in the brains of 90 former pro football players.

"Well, certainly, Dr. McKee's research shows that a number of retired NFL players were diagnosed with CTE, so the answer to that question is certainly 'yes,' but there are also a number of questions that come with that," Miller said.

Schakowsky repeated the question: "Is there a link?"

"Yes. Sure," Miller responded.

The NFL has not previously linked playing football to chronic traumatic encephalopathy, a disease linked to repeated brain trauma and associated with symptoms such as memory loss, depression and progressive dementia. It can only be detected after death. Among the players found to have CTE in their brains were Hall of Famers Junior Seau and Ken Stabler.

During Super Bowl week, Dr. Mitch Berger, a member of the NFL's head, neck and spine committee, would not draw a direct line from football to CTE.

Miller appeared at a roundtable discussion of concussions before the House Committee on Energy & Commerce. ESPN first reported Miller's appearance before the committee.

Last month, Berger, chair of the department of neurological surgery at the University of California-San Francisco, repeatedly said that while the types of degenerative changes to the brain associated with CTE have been found in late football players, such signs have also been found "in all spectrums of life."

Tao, a protein that indicates the presence of CTE, "is found in brains that have traumatic injuries," Berger said, "whether it's from football, whether it's from car accidents, whether it's from gunshot wounds, domestic violence — it remains to be seen."

Miller said he was "not going to speak for Dr. Berger" when asked by Schakowsky about those comments.

Just before Miller spoke, McKee was asked the same question about the link between hits in football and CTE. She responded "unequivocally" there is, and went into details about her research findings.

Miller told the committee that the issue's entire scope needs to be addressed.

"You asked the question whether I thought there was a link," he said. "Certainly based on Dr. McKee's research, there's a link, because she's found CTE in a number of retired football players. I think that the broader point, and the one that your question gets to, is what that necessarily means and where do we go from here with that information."

In layman's terms, Football has no future without major safety overhauls

Last edited:

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Carson Wentz says concussions aren't a “huge concern”

This year’s class of players fresh out of college is headlined by, among others, former North Dakota State quarterback Carson Wentz. In an interview that was aired during Friday’s PFT Live, I asked Wentz whether he is concerned about concussions, specifically because of this excerpt from Nolan Nawrocki’s NFL Draft 2016 Preview regarding Wentz: “Sustained two concussions during his [high school] senior season. . . . Has suffered multiple concussions during his career and medical history requires closer scrutiny.”
Wentz disagreed with the characterization that he has sustained multiple concussions.
“It’s not a huge concern,” Wentz said. “I only had one [concussion], way back in high school. I know the technology with helmets and everything, and the game’s getting safer. It’s something that I think as competitors you don’t think about it a lot unless it’s really happened to you or you’ve experienced those things. I know for me I don’t think about it much. I know some guys do but I don’t get caught up in a lot of it and I just think that the technology and things with helmets and everything are just going to keep improving and I think the games going to get safer.”
Wentz’s feelings undoubtedly are shared by the other 250-plus players who will be drafted, and the 600 or so more who will clamor to sign as undrafted free agents. Which underscores the reality, to the chagrin of those who relish the thought that Rome is shrinking, that there will continue to be 1,696 total players to fill the active rosters of 32 NFL teams, because every year the nation’s 253 Division I college football programs are kicking out more than enough men who know or should know the risks but nevertheless choose to play.

Last edited:

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had numerous concussions over the years for which I still pay daily.

Marksman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Played in the early 70's. 2 knee injuries one ankle. 4 broken fingers. All are problems now. Gets more difficult to get up from the ground
i guess I would not recommend anyone play

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 143
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93