Cold Morning Boat Ramps!

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sunday morning on the river brought 15 degree temps and some butt-puckering moments at the boat ramps. I was barely able to get my boat in by angling across the ramp so one front tire of my truck could hang on for dear life on dry pavement. Within one or two more boats after me it was pretty much a no go situation. What is the best thing to carry to throw on the ramps for traction? Salt, Sand, Cat Litter, etc?

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Them libs can suck an egg. I'm not wrecking my boat cause someone might get their feelings hurt.

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was watching that at Hazelton sunday morning. I saw both sand and salt thrown. The ramp was very icy. They ended up using a truck with a tow rope to get the rigs back up the ramp.

riverfisher

Founding Member
Founding Member
I always carry salt with me. also people need to learn to let there trailers drain.I will always throw salt down before i put my boat in even if I beat the rush and there inst any ice forming yet. Being the first boat in is best way to solve your problem.

Joe

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sleep in, an extra hour of sunlight should melt it.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just hang onto 'er until the splash. She ain't frozen under the water.

You can always get the boat in, its getting back up the ramp that tends to complicate things. Maybe i will just start parking on the ramp like people seem to think is OK during ice fishing season. I mean who cares about the guys after me, I'm fishing that's what counts!

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
People really need to sit at the bottom of the ramp and let their trailers drain. Sure, it's another 30-60 seconds but come on. Won't entirely stop the ramp from getting icy but will limit most of it to the last 5 feet or so. Was only the 4th boat to put in at the rifle range on Sunday and both sides were already quite icy - guys ahead of us dumped their boat off the trailer and pulled right up the ramp, dropping water all the way up. Get a clue.

CDK

Founding Member
Founding Member
If people would let there trailers train before tearing up the ramp it would help a lot. I carry a few sand bags and spread them out in the wheel tracks.

fnznfwl

Founding Member
Founding Member
so you're saying a person should let their trailer drain huh?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 34
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 15
  • This month: 14
  • This month: 12