U.A.W strike?

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
As this strike continues, these ppl on the line fail to realize they will keep losing wages and never recover what they are losing every day,ive read the union pays them $500/week,far cry from $2k,i suspect big 3 won't cave,out sourcing is the answer
How do you figure this? Short term wages will be lost but long term wages will be regained. So they lose 2k or 4k or 10k but if they get a larger raise that amount stays with them for long term not just 4 or 5 years..until they retire or leave the company. Look at 3% of 50k. That is what $1,500 a year. Ten years that is 15k, 30 years that is 45k. That's based off of 50k and 3%. The companies will want you to think these unions are dumb for striking cause the amount they lose is more than what they gain but you have to look at this in the long term. That is substantial amount of money.
Outsourcing has always been the answer regardless of unions...the companies go where it's cheapest. I know a company that sends its software to India for programming..not because of unions but because it's cheaper then the U.S.A. and yes it creates a mess when it gets back...its absolutely horrible...but hey it was cheap.

Last edited:

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
True,however top brass knew contract deadline was approaching months before,got word this new union prez planned on shooting for the moon,if top brass needed another plant they wouldve been in motion months ago is my guess,besides chevrolet took the saturn suv (vue) and labeled it Chevrolet "trax"no tooling needed.
Pretty sure the Saturn Vue was a clone of the Chevy Equinox. I had one of each as employer provided fleet vehicles.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would say this is correct for smaller employers. I really don't think the CEO of GM or the other big 3 gives a shit about joe on the assembly line
He is employee 12976...most managers are just trying to make it to retirement so as long as Joe shows up to work and doesn't burn the place down its another day down. Yes back in the day GM took the risk as you would say...now it's the American people that took the risk...not the CEO...they are just trying to collect the millions all at the cost of everybody including the American people.

I think people look at this as the union is trying to take advantage of some mom and pop shop. I would be 100% against that..this is a huge corporation that would take anything and everything from you if they had a chance. Good example is look at the Boeing Max airplanes. The families of the people that died are taking the company to court for pain and suffering of the loved ones. Boeing says the lawsuit should be dismissed since they were killed so quickly they couldn't have had pain and suffering...now I am not getting into the legal aspects of yes or no to this but my point is these large corporations do not care about you or your family. They would take anything and everything from you if it benefits the company..Basically benefit themselves. So I say to the unions I hope they get what they are looking for and actually appreciate what they are doing since like I posted earlier will help with future raises for myself and others.
We pay those raises, not the union, or GM, we the consumer pay that huge pay raise, and 19 days of holiday, and 4 day work weeks, it comes right the fuck out of the consumers pocket.

Don't for a second think that GM is going to lose a nickel on any of this. The huge pay increase for minimal skilled workers is you, me and every car buyer out there footing this bill.

I don't see how one can justify making 40% more, working 20% less, and getting double the paid days off.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
We pay those raises, not the union, or GM, we the consumer pay that huge pay raise, and 19 days of holiday, and 4 day work weeks, it comes right the fuck out of the consumers pocket.

Don't for a second think that GM is going to lose a nickel on any of this. The huge pay increase for minimal skilled workers is you, me and every car buyer out there footing this bill.

I don't see how one can justify making 40% more, working 20% less, and getting double the paid days off.
It's called GRIFT and it's all the rage. This is what the founding fathers warned us about.

If I was a union member I'd be crapping my pants that my union was screwing both myself and the country in the long haul - knowing it can't last.

CAH

Founding Member
Founding Member
We the consumer need to realize too that we dont NEED a new truck every two to three years either. Simple supply and demand. If we quit being the instant gratification and jones chasing individuals we have become as a nation, these prices will eventually fall too.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
1695141183101.png

Kinda the same premise. You pay more for the vehicle, the employees take their share, and the union raises their dues to be a member, and the consumer pays for all of it. Yaaa unions.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member

Yup..the same as you pay CEO the 400% above regular guys wage. I don't agree with the amounts they are asking but I would guess like anything being negotiated they will meet in the middle. Asking 40% will probably result in a 23-25% raise. I am sure you are well aware of negotiations if you have ever sold a vehicle..aim high meet in the middle.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
We the consumer need to realize too that we dont NEED a new truck every two to three years either. Simple supply and demand. If we quit being the instant gratification and jones chasing individuals we have become as a nation, these prices will eventually fall too.
This right here..back in the day barely anybody leased there vehicle now all my neighbors get new vehicles every 3 years because they lease them. That speeds up the wheels on production. I always had the view if I can't pay a note off in 4 years or under I am not getting it. No lease, buy what I can afford....not the same anymore. People have campers and boats financed out 20 years. Vehicles I think somebody told me you can finance out 84 months or something around there. To each their own but it's not for me.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
They(Big 3) will likely slap a short term bandaid on this thing and start to work on cheaper labor long term. Everybody(employees) is useful and nobody is necessary.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
They(Big 3) will likely slap a short term bandaid on this thing and start to work on cheaper labor long term. Everybody(employees) is useful and nobody is necessary.
They have been going for cheaper labor for years. Why do you think everything is made in China? This isn't the start of it nor will it be the last.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
They have been going for cheaper labor for years. Why do you think everything is made in China? This isn't the start of it nor will it be the last.
I am aware of this history lesson. I meant it will accelerate the process.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
they did it at crystal sugar a few years ago
Yep, I wonder , does a union strike or company lockout block all workers from going to work ? Even those who want to work ? It sounds like a recipe for a lot of mixed emotions and friction .

Things get complicated there every few years when they negotiate a new contract. last year they were in negotiations for quite a few months before they settled with a 4 year contract so another 3 years and the same thing all over again. I found two estimates on what ACS employees make . one including bonuses and one not.

The average estimated annual salary, including base and bonus, at American Crystal Sugar is $113,350, or $54 per hour.

The average American Crystal Sugar salary in the United States is $43,220 per year. American Crystal Sugar salaries range between $31,000 a year in the bottom 10th percentile to $59,000 in the top 90th percentile. American Crystal Sugar pays $20.78 an hour on average.

I wish I would have had an industry like that within driving distance to put my 45 years in and retire.

https://www.agweek.com/news/sugarbe...e-accepted-contract-offer-union-official-says

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I am aware of this history lesson. I meant it will accelerate the process.
Probably won't accelerate it. These companies know exactly when the contracts are up and usually know in advance what the unions are requesting and vice versa....usually years from my understanding. What you see in the media is all propaganda from both sides....they will come to an agreement and it will all just be another day. Companies will continue to look for the cheapest of everything possible including labor and materials...nothing will change from what's taking place today.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yup..the same as you pay CEO the 400% above regular guys wage. I don't agree with the amounts they are asking but I would guess like anything being negotiated they will meet in the middle. Asking 40% will probably result in a 23-25% raise. I am sure you are well aware of negotiations if you have ever sold a vehicle. Aim high meet in the middle.
Try running a company without a CEO. Its like the quarterback, you cannot have a football team without one. You can however have a team without the water boy, and towel manager.

Who gets 23-25% raises on the towel boy work load.

If GM wants to pay incentives to their leaders for making the mark, they do, guess I don't remember the CEO strike of the 80's.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Try running a company without a CEO. Its like the quarterback, you cannot have a football team without one. You can however have a team without the water boy, and towel manager.

Who gets 23-25% raises on the towel boy work load.

If GM wants to pay incentives to their leaders for making the mark, they do, guess I don't remember the CEO strike of the 80's.
Ummm. Ok 👍
I think alot of companies would survive without a CEO in fact most large companies CEO's don't make the decisions..they are there more to represent the company. But yeah to each their own views.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ummm. Ok 👍
I think alot of companies would survive without a CEO in fact most large companies CEO's don't make the decisions..they are there more to represent the company. But yeah to each their own views.
Of course that is why the CEO is making 400% more than the towel boy, he is just a token employee.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ummm. Ok 👍
And I really don't have an issue with the top making top pay. They are getting it without forcing negotiations, they don't strike, they likely are not legally black mailing this wage.

I do have a problem with workers forcing their employers hand. If I don't like my job or pay I get a new one elsewhere. Plenty of people would do the work these auto workers do for less pay, don't bite the hand that feeds you.
They could start their own motor company, turns out its super easy, no leadership needed, just factory workers, and lots of vacation.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yup..the same as you pay CEO the 400% above regular guys wage. I don't agree with the amounts they are asking but I would guess like anything being negotiated they will meet in the middle. Asking 40% will probably result in a 23-25% raise. I am sure you are well aware of negotiations if you have ever sold a vehicle..aim high meet in the middle.
What % of the those " regular wage guys " do you think could do the CEO's job?

I thought the Union claimed the companies were not sharing their record profits.

Feb 2, 2023 https://www.freep.com/story/money/c...urly-workers-2022-profit-sharing/69865970007/

Ford announced Thursday in its earnings report that its UAW employees will receive profit-sharing checks averaging $9,176 this year. Checks will be distributed March 9. That's up from $7,377 for hourly workers in 2021, when supply chain disruption and pandemic-related issues continued to shut down plants. Yet the logistics drama has also led to higher prices and bigger profits, which leads to higher profit-sharing checks for hourly workers and big bonuses for salaried workers. Ford UAW employees received average payouts of just $3,625 in 2020.

General Motors announced Tuesday that its 42,300 UAW-represented workers will receive record profit-sharing checks averaging $12,750. It's the most GM has ever awarded, based on a 2019 UAW contract that lifted a $12,000 cap. The company said it is sending the checks Feb. 24.

Chrysler-parent Stellantis is scheduled to release its profit-sharing data Feb. 22. It awarded checks averaging $14,670 in 2022 and $8,010 in 2021.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 117
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 47