U.A.W strike?

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well curious how this shit show plays out....

Demands 46% pay increase,32 hr work week,paid for 40hrs..major stumbling block,wtf,shoot for the moon.
Buckle up consumers,,,we'll all be riding bicycles soon,as new vehicles are becoming unaffordable now,just wait.

Last contract deal

Workers got $35hr wages plus 100% Healthcare plus,plus.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would like to know where the justification of $140/ hr for shop mechanics comes from. I know it is a tough trade to keep up to date with but the mechanic is only getting about a 1/3 of that. My brother is a self employed mechanic so I know a little about it.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
The original intent of organized labor has gone away and is now just a front. The companies need to honor past promises, but the demands of the unions aren’t reasonable. I’d hate to work in a place like this where the best and worst employees get the same treatment.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Average wage for a union car maker $25. Nobody is getting rich on the floor. I suppose they need to strike to keep up with enough to keep up with the US toyota plants.

How many vehicles are made in the US anymore. Its mainly suburu toyota mercedes oh and some ford chevy jeep chrysler products. Not that long ago my wifes last van (which is missed for storgage and bar hopping) -- -she bought a honda van and at that time the vehicle including parts was the most american made out of any vehicle made that year. Who would of guessed --- well l didnt have to guess as the workmanship was piss poor and the rack and pinion went out at 37k miles. Neverless it was covered under the original warranty; it took some harsh words and emails.

Did somebody say american made lifters for chevy trucks ----- OUCH!!

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
The CEO of ford said they also offered them 5 weeks paid vacation
Well curious how this shit show plays out....

Demands 46% pay increase,32 hr work week,paid for 40hrs..major stumbling block,wtf,shoot for the moon.
Buckle up consumers,,,we'll all be riding bicycles soon,as new vehicles are becoming unaffordable now,just wait.

Last contract deal

Workers got $35hr wages plus 100% Healthcare plus,plus.
Ford said they also offered 5 wks paid vacation to go along with all the other perks. if what you say they want to get paid for 2080 hrs while only working 1664 hrs and if you take the ( 5 wks vacation @ 32/wk 160 hrs ) away they want to get paid for 2080 hrs while only working 1504 hrs that is 576 non productive hours they want to get paid for

40 @ $ 35/hr = $1,400.00 / wk x 52 wks = $ 74,888.00 / yr
32 @ $ 35/hr = $ 1,120.00/ wk x 52 wks = $ 58,240.00 / yr

That is $ 16,648.00 per year they want paid that they didn't work for

jdfisherman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would like to know where the justification of $140/ hr for shop mechanics comes from. I know it is a tough trade to keep up to date with but the mechanic is only getting about a 1/3 of that. My brother is a self employed mechanic so I know a little about it.
Work in engineering: the multiplier in our labor rates is about 3.5 times what the employee makes, so numbers like that aren't unusual. In most businesses they're not selling stuff (cars) in addition to service, so the only money the company makes is when they can bill for services. The "extra" above the employees salary and benefits goes to cover the salary and benefits of the employees that aren't directly billable (admin, marketing, corporate, etc) and the "keeping the lights on" costs (building, utilities, property and business taxes, insurance, etc), and if lucky, there's some profit there as well, as any business exists to make money (corporate greed and obscene profit margins aside). Seems like a racket at first but that's how any service provider works.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
The CEO of ford said they also offered them 5 weeks paid vacation

Ford said they also offered 5 wks paid vacation to go along with all the other perks. if what you say they want to get paid for 2080 hrs while only working 1664 hrs and if you take the ( 5 wks vacation @ 32/wk 160 hrs ) away they want to get paid for 2080 hrs while only working 1504 hrs that is 576 non productive hours they want to get paid for

40 @ $ 35/hr = $1,400.00 / wk x 52 wks = $ 74,888.00 / yr
32 @ $ 35/hr = $ 1,120.00/ wk x 52 wks = $ 58,240.00 / yr

That is $ 16,648.00 per year they want paid that they didn't work for

Lets say your numbers are correct -- (which 10k are benefits plus UC and Work comp) but whatever
for disucssion your numbers are correct.

To even live in the USA both you and your wife need 150k; i dont even know anymore that it buys you a home; more like a twin home or townhome, modest vehicles and maybe a leaky old lund boat. Add daycare ---- ouch i am glad i am on the way out instead of the way into this world.

Its a free country ---- when i was employed i negotiated my wage. My son and daughter both negotiated their wages -- neither is union nor was i but they had a negotiaton. I have never been union but i never have seen the reason why non-union workers bitch about union ones. Your price of your vehicle went up. I guarantee you the price of boats went up xx more than vehicles (they dont even compare when you look at what goes into a vehicle vs a boat) and ask them the boat workers what they get paid (a lot less).

PTO -- how many companies have unlimited. Nobody works in this state on a friday. I think as a whole management doesnt even know what real production is anymore. They cannot guage it; especially public companies.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lets say your numbers are correct -- (which 10k are benefits plus UC and Work comp) but whatever

To even live in the USA both you and your wife need 150k; i dont even know anymore that it buys you a home; more like a twin home or townhome, modest vehicles and maybe a leaky old lund boat. Add daycare ---- ouch i am glad i am on the way out instead of the way into this world.

Its a free country ---- when i was employed i negotiated my wage. My son and daughter both negotiated their wages -- neither is union nor was i but they had a negotiaton. I have never been union but i never have seen the reason why non-union workers bitch about union ones. Your price of your vehicle went up. I guarantee you the price of boats went up xx more than vehicles (they dont even compare when you look at what goes into a vehicle vs a boat) and ask them the boat workers what they get paid (a lot less).

PTO -- how many companies have unlimited. Nobody works in this state on a friday. I think as a whole management doesnt even know what real production is anymore. They cannot guage it; especially public companies.
So you are saying 300k is what some one needs to make to live. If I made that I wouldn’t have a worry in the world. I have a 7 year old house and pretty new vehicles and a fair amount of toys and thought I was living pretty good. Off not even half of that.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Seems to be a good way to push the electric car bullshrite if you put auto workers off the job and halt production. I smell a closed door agenda rat here.
This ev agenda is like a fart in the wind,dealers are fed up with these shit boxes sitting on dealer lots,dealers pay interest on old inventory,city dwellers that can afford them jumped on the band wagon but these vehicles are for a select group,fords ceo on the news last night claimed his company over reacted building so many for the few that want them,dealers nationwide are turning down ev product.

Now if the UAWsettles and get what they want,we'll have $100k two seater grocery getter cars

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
So you are saying 300k is what some one needs to make to live. If I made that I wouldn’t have a worry in the world. I have a 7 year old house and pretty new vehicles and a fair amount of toys and thought I was living pretty good. Off not even half of that.
I didnt say 300

Speaking of 300 --- i thing the August 23 median home price in fargo is $350. Taxes and more taxes, daycare, price of everthing from food to a screw or nut seems like it doubled. Thank god for bud light and 15 rebate.

I dont have to say much more that that. What we could buy 7 years ago and now is a worlds apart here in little minne fargon nd IMO.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member

Not sure where you got your $150k numbers from but according to recent studies in December of 2022 the median American worker brings home an estimated $54,132 a year

https://www.firstrepublic.com/insights-education/how-much-does-the-average-american-make

Me and my wife make combined less than the 150 you claim we both need. We have a nice house on 10 acres, newer vehicles and are paying the last kids way through college. granted my toys are a bit on the older side but I have never been one who has wanted or needed to have the newest shiniest toys on the block. We live pretty good on our income. and have a considerable amount set aside for retirement.

woodduck30

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Cocaine and hookers have out paced inflation at the pump and at the grocery store. That can be there only argument to ask for a raise like that

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
This ev agenda is like a fart in the wind,dealers are fed up with these shit boxes sitting on dealer lots,dealers pay interest on old inventory,city dwellers that can afford them jumped on the band wagon but these vehicles are for a select group,fords ceo on the news last night claimed his company over reacted building so many for the few that want them,dealers nationwide are turning down ev product.

Now if the UAWsettles and get what they want,we'll have $100k two seater grocery getter cars
toyota wins this race. I guarantee it

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I dont have time today but ill draw up an average new home buyer with a on kid and a kid on the way budget that lives in Dearborn.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 154
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84