130-year-old shipwreck in North Dakota visible due to drought

Wirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
We were on river kayaking on Wednesday and stopped to take a look at the Abner O'Neal. It is impressive to see after all the years submerged. Kids and G Kids have been doing research on the history of the vessel. Interesting story. IMG_4603.jpg

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
Very cool but things submerged in water have always given me the creeps for some reason.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
Very cool but things submerged in water have always given me the creeps for some reason.

trapped to slowly die has always given me the shivers.... cave stories, submarines, underwater.......

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I totally agree with seeing objects submerged in the water even though the water magnifies the object. When you are fishing the edge of the dead trees on devils especially in the early years when there was more of them in the water. One time I panicked because I thought I was going to put a hole through my hull, forgot to open the bail on my reel before I set the rod down ended up getting pulled into the water. Major dumb move and realized I the dead head would have never touched my boat because it was deep enough.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
steam boats were used on the red river and there are hulls that came out with the low water also.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
In the river\water.............................sorry couldn't resist. ;:;rofl

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
neat.

Reminds me of the Edmond Fitzgerald song of Gordon Lightfoot.

Erie at the least.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
when the corp filled up the big lake sakakawea, there were towns that were abandoned in the valley correct?
If so were the towns destroyed or left standing to be taken over by the rising water?
During the earlier years of the big lake dropping in elevation would a person have been able to see the buildings in the water if you knew where to look?

danl

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's a great question, it would be interesting to find out. When the water gets this low you can see foundations from some of the buildings that were in old Sanish. I know that they moved a lot of buildings up to higher ground. I have never seen wood or other material at that site. Others like Elbowoods were maybe in deeper water.

Before the Flood: Leaving Sanish, North Dakota | Ghosts of North Dakota

Last edited:

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's a great question, it would be interesting to find out. When the water gets this low you can see foundations from some of the buildings that were in old Sanish. I know that they moved a lot of buildings up to higher ground. I have never seen wood or other material at that site. Others like Elbowoods were maybe in deeper water.

Before the Flood: Leaving Sanish, North Dakota | Ghosts of North Dakota

thanks bud for link I do like history especially north dakota history

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
when the corp filled up the big lake sakakawea, there were towns that were abandoned in the valley correct?
If so were the towns destroyed or left standing to be taken over by the rising water?
During the earlier years of the big lake dropping in elevation would a person have been able to see the buildings in the water if you knew where to look?

A little bit of both. On the east side of 4 Bears Bridge by New Town, there's an overlook called Crows Fly High. If you go up there and look to the north, you can see some of the foundations for old buildings. In particular, the grain elevator is now poking out of the water. BTW, while up there...don't pet the snakes. The unfriendly ones aren't that uncommon on that hillside.

Or you can just motor on up north and east of the bridge in a boat to see it as well.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 62
  • This month: 46
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 28
  • This month: 21
  • This month: 19