North dakota tunnel

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Haven't taken the time to visit when out that way but have heard it's worth it as described in the article. Thanks for the reminder.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Last edited:

jdfisherman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bring a flashlight - the tunnel is curved so when you enter one side you can't see the other end and it gets pretty dark near the middle.

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Speaking of tunnels isn't there a mound adjacent to Interstate 90 that was a hide out for native Americans. It's was supposed to be a secret room where they would go when they were chased by army. I just remember hearing stories of a place like this in north dakota history class.
I found it has anyone been to this spot to
https://killdeer.com/place-of-interest/medicine-hole-historical-site/
More caves
https://www.dmr.nd.gov/ndgs/NDNotes/Caves/Caves_h.asp
I love stuff like that. ND has some awesome history that if you dig, you can end up in some cool rabbit holes. The battlefields, gold wagon trails, trapper and pioneer life are all really interesting. The heritage center in Bismarck has a couple guns found out there made in the 1700s. A family friend in Barnes county found a rock and log with carvings from soldiers. I’m kind of rambling but it’s cool stuff.

77Talladega

Very cool, will have to check that out. South of Fargo close to Whapeton, there’s the fairly complete/reconstructed FT Abercrombie from the cavalry days. It’s neat to check out.

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I travel throughout western ND and try to stop at some of these smaller historical sites. It's amazing to think what it must have been like back then. I've visited Fort dilts by rhame. A wagon train crossing the cannonball river near Raleigh. The last great Buffalo hunt near hettinger. A couple of sod houses one west of manning and one east of mott. And you can't forget fort saurkraut in hebron.

Don't just visit the big site. There are slot of these small ones that are just as interesting

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
I recall a few of these and know of their locations. However, I've never heard of Washburn Cave and cannot find anything about it except for written lore. No GPS, no photography, no other written accounts of coming up to it and looking around, etc. I'm only assuming it is near the bluffs just west of Washburn before the river curves back northerly toward the Garrison Dam. Anyone else know more about this?

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
where is that gates of hell or some shit cave/tunnel by devils lake again? we partied by it one time in high school and i went in it. but, it was back in the day of no cell phones and didn't have a flashlight either. so, pretty much blind as a bat and worried about... well... bats. so, i didn't venture far. by the end of the night, i pretty much couldn't find my shoe laces. so, i've never been able to find my way back. but, if memory serves, it was somewhere south east of east devils. anyone... anyone.. buehler?

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
i just googled it. stairway to hell... tagus? not the same place i am thinking of. there is a similar place near devils lake.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 162
  • This month: 150
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 124
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88