db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
DSC00041.JPG
It was the fall of 1960 when i reach the age of 13. I had already bought my first car, a 1952 Buick Super for $50. Spent hours on it as one would expect from a $50 vehicle. Spent my teen years in the sixties and they were the best of time
Rock and Roll was at its best.
1520 on dial KOMA out of Okahloma
630 on the dial CKRC out of Winnipeg
Both AM and now i listen to the same music with the help of SKM.
Dad bought a transistor radio. Paid $75 for it which i thought was way to expense. Still have in picture.

It was the time of muscle cars. My buddy had a 442 and i had a Sport Fury with a 426. We both were going to NDSU. On Thursday night we would hit Broadway and one trip down the street we would get someone to race. Off to north Fargo on the airport road. Won some and lost some. $3,500 would buy one a new muscle car.

Never had a date in high school and very few in college. Would again hit Bradway and would find ladies be driving around looking for same things us guys were looking for. Most had jobs and they would chip in for the beers and find a place to party. Sometimes wonder if some of them remember the relationship we had from those time. There was one lady that seem to most every time her and her friends would be with us. At age 20 i found Old Mill and have been drinking it ever since.

My senior year would again hit Broadway and that one lady was still around. I was 21 and found out she was 17 and a senior at West Fargo High. What the hell, her parents accepted me. But by the end of my senior year i had enough education to last a lifetime. I soon found out that the government wanted me to spend sometimes in Nam.
Spent 10 month there and we shot at them every day, they would now and then shoot rocket, mortars and small arm at us. One night after one of those times i left my bunker at 4 in the morning and sat next to a foxhole with my M-16. About 10 feet from me was a black plastic bag with a soldier in it. He was fresh out of high school and had been only there for about a month. Now he had a bullet in him. I decided to spend some time with him and had a conversation for about 30 minutes. I ask him why he was here. I also ask what was to come. I said someone at the funeral will say you were there for the red, white and blue. Bull crap you were there for no reason other than our government sent us there. I mature a lot at that time talking to him and maybe found some reason as to what i was doing. A lot of reflection of it all. I no longer remember his name and would not know him if we came and sat next to me. Life went on.

Now i am 78 and things for me look differently. Can no longer kill an animal but still keep getting the license to kill. For 2 years i have had a major pain in my body and the doc do not know why. I told them what i thought and will start that program next Wednesday.
Well i had a lot more to say but too long now. By the way, that 17-year-old lady is still hanging around after 60 years.

And boobs are still as important as when i found out about them as is the Old Mill. db

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
DSC00041.JPG
It was the fall of 1960 when i reach the age of 13. I had already bought my first car, a 1952 Buick Super for $50. Spent hours on it as one would expect from a $50 vehicle. Spent my teen years in the sixties and they were the best of time
Rock and Roll was at its best.
1520 on dial KOMA out of Okahloma
630 on the dial CKRC out of Winnipeg
Both AM and now i listen to the same music with the help of SKM.
Dad bought a transistor radio. Paid $75 for it which i thought was way to expense. Still have in picture.

It was the time of muscle cars. My buddy had a 442 and i had a Sport Fury with a 426. We both were going to NDSU. On Thursday night we would hit Broadway and one trip down the street we would get someone to race. Off to north Fargo on the airport road. Won some and lost some. $3,500 would buy one a new muscle car.

Never had a date in high school and very few in college. Would again hit Bradway and would find ladies be driving around looking for same things us guys were looking for. Most had jobs and they would chip in for the beers and find a place to party. Sometimes wonder if some of them remember the relationship we had from those time. There was one lady that seem to most every time her and her friends would be with us. At age 20 i found Old Mill and have been drinking it ever since.

My senior year would again hit Broadway and that one lady was still around. I was 21 and found out she was 17 and a senior at West Fargo High. What the hell, her parents accepted me. But by the end of my senior year i had enough education to last a lifetime. I soon found out that the government wanted me to spend sometimes in Nam.
Spent 10 month there and we shot at them every day, they would now and then shoot rocket, mortars and small arm at us. One night after one of those times i left my bunker at 4 in the morning and sat next to a foxhole with my M-16. About 10 feet from me was a black plastic bag with a soldier in it. He was fresh out of high school and had been only there for about a month. Now he had a bullet in him. I decided to spend some time with him and had a conversation for about 30 minutes. I ask him why he was here. I also ask what was to come. I said someone at the funeral will say you were there for the red, white and blue. Bull crap you were there for no reason other than our government sent us there. I mature a lot at that time talking to him and maybe found some reason as to what i was doing. A lot of reflection of it all. I no longer remember his name and would not know him if we came and sat next to me. Life went on.

Now i am 78 and things for me look differently. Can no longer kill an animal but still keep getting the license to kill. For 2 years i have had a major pain in my body and the doc do not know why. I told them what i thought and will start that program next Wednesday.
Well i had a lot more to say but too long now. By the way, that 17-year-old lady is still hanging around after 60 years.

And boobs are still as important as when i found out about them as is the Old Mill. db
DB, I appreciate you sharing your experiences and glad you can air them here. Thanks for your service, even if government ordered.

The '60's were certainly a different time that I wasn't alive for - I like hearing first-hand experiences from that time.

Last edited:

Prairie Doggin'

★★★★★ Legendary Member
DB, I appreciate you sharing your experiences and glad you can air them here. Thanks for your service, even if government ordered.

The '60's were certainly a different time that I wasn't alive for - I like hearing first-hand experiences from that time.
I'm like CatDaddy. I appreciate hearing first hand accounts of things I've never experienced, and hope not to, from people who have. My uncle was there, but from what I heard from him before he passed, he was generally pretty far from the action. A clerk of some sort, I believe. Anyway, appreciate both your service and tales of yesteryear, and also appreciate a nice boob.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 65
  • This month: 40
  • This month: 29
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 25
  • This month: 13
  • This month: 12
  • This month: 12
  • This month: 11