1969 Evinrude 25 sportster

rodcontrol

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hello!

Any outboard mechanics out there !?!? I started up this old engine this weekend. A litter tinkering and it popped off. Having trouble keeping the bulb firm but I think this can be fixed with some new connections. After it running for a bit I noticed some milky oil coming out of the exhaust port. I know I will need to replace the impeller because water was not coming out. My question.....Did I over heat the engine and cause some major problems!!!

Any other tips and trick appreciated because I am far from a mechanic!!

Last edited:

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Only you can determine how hot the engine got. I'm not sure how much I'd trust leaving the dock with it even if you think it runs perfect.

rodcontrol

Founding Member
Founding Member
Only you can determine how hot the engine got. I'm not sure how much I'd trust leaving the dock with it even if you think it runs perfect.
Would any amount of oil coming out of the exhaust be explainable as normal?

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
IDK maybe thats how that motor ran from day 1. Those old two strokes used to smoke pretty good.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
If it were mine, I'd swap the impeller, install a new fuel line/pump-bulb (assuming running off of a portable fuel tank), put in some freshly mixed fuel, change the gear-lube in the lower unit, maybe a new spark-plug and run it.

I'd probably put on a new water-line for the pump indicator (pee-hole) and make sure the hole isn't just plugged on either end as well.

"Milky" usually means water and oil/lube have mixed somehow. I'm assuming you're pre-mixing for a 2-stroke. Any chance there's water/condensation in your fuel tank/fuel line?

rodcontrol

Founding Member
Founding Member
If it were mine, I'd swap the impeller, install a new fuel line/pump-bulb (assuming running off of a portable fuel tank), put in some freshly mixed fuel, change the gear-lube in the lower unit, maybe a new spark-plug and run it.

I'd probably put on a new water-line for the pump indicator (pee-hole) and make sure the hole isn't just plugged on either end as well.

"Milky" usually means water and oil/lube have mixed somehow. I'm assuming you're pre-mixing for a 2-stroke. Any chance there's water/condensation in your fuel tank/fuel line?
I dumped the tank and started fresh, so fuel should be good. I seem to have tons of trouble with fuel lines and connectors! I ordered a new motor side connector aswell to try to fix the leak.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I dumped the tank and started fresh, so fuel should be good. I seem to have tons of trouble with fuel lines and connectors! I ordered a new motor side connector aswell to try to fix the leak.
Start Fresh w/lines too, especially if it's ever had E-10 or higher through older lines.

Amazon product

$30 give or take and fuel line/bulb issues are all gone.

Last edited:

nytebyte

Founding Member
Founding Member
The oil comeing out the exhaust is normal. Just unburned fuel and oil. Check the lower unit for anywater just in case one of the seals is leaking. I would for sure change out all the fuel lines on the motor. New impeller at the least and if the housing has deep groves the whole pump kit. Probably could use a good carb clean and pop the flywheel to clean and set the points. All that after a compression check to make sure its worth it.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
These projects always turn into a rabbit hole for me. Fix one item, then the next fails, fix that, then the next, until I am double what he project is worth, and still not working right.

Sometimes walking away is best solution.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
These projects always turn into a rabbit hole for me. Fix one item, then the next fails, fix that, then the next, until I am double what he project is worth, and still not working right.

Yeah - I maybe fix old motors to my satisfaction 50% of the time. Irritating as all get out!

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Me, already stressed enough as it is, but doing the intro to my new Stress Free Small Motor Repair YouTube series to “offset costs”.

1713290316015.jpeg

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member

You best walk away from the golf cart project. Give it to me. I will take it off your hands to relieve your stress level on it. ;)

rodcontrol

Founding Member
Founding Member
well.....new fuel line connecter fixed one issue. No longer leaking fuel when pumping the bulb. New spark plugs and disassembled the water pump and put back together. That now seems to be working fine. The impeller that came with the kit had too large of center hole so it was sloppy on the shaft. So i left the old impeller in, the fins didnt seem to have much wear. Not sure why it wasnt working maybe there was a blockage in the water exhaust line. I sprayed air up that so maybe it was clogged.. I ordered a carb kit, she starts but has a nasty cough every few seconds of idling. Sort of fun to work on this stuff!

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sort of fun to FRUSTRATING on this stuff!

You misspelled frustrating. Older boat motors are easy to get to run, not so easy when it comes to getting them to run as intended. They just always seemed to have their own little quirks.

As far as the milky appearance of oil coming from the exhaust, unburned oil is not unusual but the milky part makes me wonder about the head gasket. That being said, I'd just monitor it for the time being. It may be somewhat normal for that old of an engine, but try to keep a mental note of how much it produces. Also, keep an eye on the spark plugs. If she's getting water into one of the cylinders, you should be able to see a difference in between the coloration of the plug in the affected cylinder.

I ran an early 70s 25HP Johnson for a few years. Just so long as I always had a crescent wrench, Leatherman, and spare pull rope, I could at least get back to the dock. There were a few times I thought that song about pulling on a Johnson was written about me.

Last edited:

rodcontrol

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have some sore arms and a blister from last weekends activities with this old evinrude and a 9.9 johnson lol!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 208
  • This month: 182
  • This month: 164
  • This month: 140
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 98
  • This month: 96
  • This month: 90