2-Stroke Outboard - Oil??

lazyMlazyK

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have a 75 hp 1979 Evinrude outboard. First boat and motor. Noticed once this summer after parking it, a small bit of oily liquid coming from rear and front of prop. Fished a few more times, no problems. Checked lower unit lube and all good there, clear as honey. Fished a couple weeks back. Parked and noticed about a week later the same thing, but now is milky. Lower unit lube has been replaced. Was dirty but not milky. What’s going on here? Anything to be concerned about? All lower unit seals replaced last year.

- - - Updated - - -

P.s - yeah yeah, I know the skeg’s busted and the prop could be replaced

P.P.S. - not oil injected

Attachments

893FC4AC-F161-4CCE-A246-949F560D3C6B.jpg E570A23B-00DD-4F09-ADB4-F3CE0D1AA87E.jpg
Last edited:

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pull your prop and see if you have any line wound around the prop-shaft.

nytebyte

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nothing at all wrong. Its just unburnt oil and gas going out the exhaust. Common with 2 strokes.

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nothing at all wrong. Its just unburnt oil and gas going out the exhaust. Common with 2 strokes.

I respectfully disagree. It is common in 2 strokes; but not to that extent. That is more than just unburned fuel mixed @ a 50:1 ratio. I still say seal. 3 minute job to verify and 10 minute job to dump all lower unit oil and refill to play it safe.

lazyMlazyK

Founding Member
Founding Member
The oil I use is very dark blue. I’ll check into seals...don’t have the motor manual so will have to do some research as to exactly what I’ll need. I believe the inner bearings on the trailer could be replaced as well. Looks like they may be a bit blown out.

nytebyte

Founding Member
Founding Member
Best to check seals with a pressure test to be safe but on a 1979 2 stroke Evinrude I am going with unburnt gas and oil running down from the inside of the exhaust housing.

Last edited:

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had a '73 85 hp three cylinder 2 stroke Merc and NEVER saw anything like that. I'd remove the bottom screw on the lower unit oil reservoir and then loosen the top screw. If the oil that drains out is milky, you have a seal leaking.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
id say normal for a for a 40 year old 2 stroke, my guess rings have some wear and your blowing un burnt fuel mixture out the exhaust. you could do a compression test on t the cylinders and a cc leak down to find out the condition of your motor.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Start the entire thing on fire, walk away, and pick out a sparkling boat. Or you can continue to suck like me.
Only way to be a “true fisherman” is sparkles and a big douche bag attitude

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
if your using very dark blue oil you better look into the lower unit.

lazyMlazyK

Founding Member
Founding Member
if your using very dark blue oil you better look into the lower unit.
Sorry, I should have been a little more descriptive. The oil I mix with the gas is very dark blue. The 80/90W gear lube I put in the lower unit is clear and looks a lot like honey.

As far as performing a compression and leak test, I have no idea how to do that or if I have the proper tools to perform such a test. I’ll have to do some googling tonight.

NM 24

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lower unit lubricant usually has a distinctive smell. Check to see if the oil inside the prop smells like lower unit lubricant.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
The oil doesn’t always come out milky. If it’s sat long enough the water settles to the bottom and you will get straight water for a short time when you pull drain plug.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Start the entire thing on fire, walk away, and pick out a sparkling boat. Or you can continue to suck like me.
Only way to be a “true fisherman” is sparkles and a big douche bag attitude

I got a sparkly boat a couple years back but I’m having trouble with the big douche bag attitude, could you help me out? :;:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 191
  • This month: 158
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88