2014 f200xb questions

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
So the new chariot has a yamaha f200xb on it. I'm figuring i'm about 4 hours into the break in, which means I can run it normally as long as i don't max it out for more than 5 minutes at a time. The main question I have is this, Does the motor de-rate itself during the break-in period?

The reason I ask this is because when I get up on plane the last inch or so of my throttle does absolutely nothing for me... I have to pull the throttle back at least an inch before the motor starts to lower it's rpm's. I would think it should be climbing or dropping it's rpms throughout the entire range of the throttle right?

The other thing thats got me thinking about this is that when I run it full throttle and get all the way trimmed up to the point of blowing out, i'm only running about 5100 rpm's at about 50-51mph and I should be getting closer to 6000. I know prop has a lot to do with rpm's as does motor mounting height.
My motor is on a 2" setback manual jackplate and the AV plate sits about 1/2- 3/4" above the bottom of the boat. When fully trimmed up on plane i feel like the boat rides great and is where it should be, with the spray shooting out about 3 feet forward of the transom or so.

I could lower the motor a little more, but if I do that i won't be able to trim the motor up high enough to get my transom saver in due to the fact that the hydraulic steering hits the transom.

The current prop is a 3 blade 21 pitch composite prop. I understand that swapping this out for a stainless will help with speed and am contemplating swapping it out to a 4 blade either 21 or 19 pitch prop.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
What hull?

Composite prop might be prematurely blowing out due to flex @ speed.

Last edited:

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
The boat is a 2014 Stratos 385xf. I was thinking that the composite prop left a lot to be desired, but I figured i would just use it until the break in process is complete because i can't really run it hard for long periods.

I'm after speed yes, but more importantly I want the best performance possible and I feel that leaving that 900 rpm's on the table isn't doing that.

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
You are correct, leaving rpm on the table will leave performance on the table. If memory serves, that motor needs to be at 5500 to 6000 rpm. I don't know if it will harm anything but I would want to be in the WOT rpm range, when wide open, during breakin. I would go back to the dealership and request around 2 pitches lower. Don't worry about getting the most out of the boat until your breakin is done.

Thats when the fun will begin. A stainless prop will be the fastest. With the best hole shot. Use that jackplate a ease of adjustability to the max. It does indeed sound like your motor is too low. Just for reference, on a 60 mph boat, the AV plate should be 2.5 to 3" above the bottom of the boat when the hull is level and the AV plate is level.

300sktr

Established Member
Had same trouble with 300 yamaha. It had a 21 pitch prop and only got 5100 rpms. Went to a 19 pitch and that pushed rpms up to the 5900-6000 range.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
A composite prop on a 200 will net you nothing but piss poor performance. Blade flex would be insane. Get a good Stainless prop and you'll be amazed at the difference.

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would guess when you are ready a 19pitch Enertia or a 19 pitch Rev4 would work pretty nice on that rig.

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
awesome, thanks guys, I was thinking about going to a 4 blade 19p SS prop, just wanted to get some input first. I will most likely wait till the break in is done tho. Hoping to get it all done in the next 2 weeks.

gone_fishing

Founding Member
Founding Member
As of others have mentioned I would recommend swapping the composite prop for a SS.

I went on Yamaha's website and looked at performance reports for boats with the F200XB. Pretty much all of them had Yamaha's Reliance Series SDS props (which are 3 blade stainless steel props). Prop diameters were 14 1/4" or 14 1/2" with pitch either 17" or 18". WOT RPM were 5900-6100 with top speed between 48-52 MPH. Here is the website link to search for performance reports: http://yamahaoutboards.com/owner-resources/performance-bulletins

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why are you thinking you need a 4 blade vs. the standard 3? A fourth blade adds drag and will be tougher to turn than a 3 blade of the same design. I think the 4 blade options are intended for holeshot and when efficiency is an actual issue, like much greater than 10% slip.

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm thinking 4 blade because if I am loaded down much at all it seems like it takes a while to get up on plane. I had me and 3 other pretty good sized guys in the boat on my second trip out and the boat struggled to get on plane period. It does fine with just me and some gear in the boat. Buy not so great with others in it. I haven't tested it aga in since I got the motor height adjusted.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84