Water from the Great Lakes or Pacific NW

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
been pondering this for a few years since the big drought infiltrated the SW. but, has anyone ever heard of or had any discussions regarding the possibility of piping water from the great lakes or the pacific NW to other parts of the country. i know it wouldn't be an easy or cheap endeavor. but, the amount of freshwater in those lakes and in the NW is almost incomprehensible. given the role water plays in our survival and even the economic security of this country, i think a good argument could be made that it would be money well spent. maybe get great lakes water to the great plains and Pacific NW water to california?

costs would likely be in the hundreds of billions initially and probably tens of millions each year to pump it uphill in various places. but, it doesn't seem completely out of the question in my mind. we pump oil all over the place.

just for discussions sake... thoughts?

Biglunch

Founding Member
Founding Member
Save the billions of dollars and let California be draught ridden and burn to the ground. Nothing good has ever came out of California

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Some speculate wars over fresh water are on the horizon. Not sure if its better to start evenly distributing the resource or wait to see how the conflicts play out.

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Save the billions of dollars and let California be draught ridden and burn to the ground. Nothing good has ever came out of California

After living there for 3 years, a truer statement has never been said!!

CAH

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've heard talks of a pipeline going across Kansas and into Colorado, pumping water from the Missouri into Colorado. It would be the dumbest thing they could do, there goes Oahe, Sak and fort peck! It would create jobs and possibly boost the economy but would be detrimental to the whole ecosystem we have here in the Dakotas and Montana

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
wine. i like wine. and silicon chips. i like my computer. will ferrell movies. i like most of his movies.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
One evening when I was enjoying a few Mr. Stone's, I came up with a brilliant idea. Well, brilliant in my frame of mind at the time. This was back when Devils Lake lake level was growing and growing and growing. My Mr. Stone infused mind at the time thought..hummmm.. why don't we make the Sconi's each take a pickle bucket full of water back with them when they return back to Sconi land along with all the fish they take? Problem and lake level issue solved! Gotta love how Keystone helps a person think clearly and have utterly fantastic ideas.:;:rockit

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think it would be cheaper to find a way to use sea water. Haven't we figured out a way to filter/purify ocean water yet? Can't you distill it? Seems like it would be cheaper than piping over the Rockies.

Pinecone

Founding Member
Founding Member
enough dynamite and California and mexico could become their own island. oh and lets keep our water

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think it would be cheaper to find a way to use sea water. Haven't we figured out a way to filter/purify ocean water yet? Can't you distill it? Seems like it would be cheaper than piping over the Rockies.

Yeah desalinization plants are common in the Middle East and I believe San Diego has a really big one they don't even use.

No need to pump it out of the great lakes when the Mississippi river would be and easier option but there are massive rules to get by when moving water from one water shed to another thus the death of the McCluskey canal.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is the proposal for a Water pipe from McClusky canal to East north dakota still in the works?
State water board allowed for more water to be used for irrigation and was considering building a Water treatment plant to pipe water to Eastern north dakota.

Last edited:

Pinecone

Founding Member
Founding Member
get the back hoe operator from devils lake! he'd get er done

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
The missis is to polluted and the great lakes is loaded with invasives,now what?I say piss on cali,let it fall off into the ocean,that alone will clean up about 50% or more of the illegals sucking off the legal system along with all the other riff raff~

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is the proposal for a Water pipe from McClusky canal to East north dakota still in the works?
State water board allowed for more water to be used for irrigation and was considering building a Water treatment plant to pipe water to Eastern north dakota.

Not sure that may be two separate things. I know they want to pipe water from the river at bismarck over to Fargo so they don't get screwed in a red river vally drought. They are currently spending millions fixing up the canal but not sure if that will lead to opening it up past hoffer lake. Do know Canada is dead set against it and bitch like little girls every time it comes up. With invasive species as big of as a deal as they are that will probably put the kibosh on mixing waters from here on out.

Last edited:

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Please know one tell the US gov. about this. There will be a canal running half way through the country. (unfinished)

gonefshn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Great Lakes often have issues of their own when it comes to water levels. And the size of the pipeline would have to be HUGE to be of any help for California.

I think the future there and in places like Arizona is going to be changing. All those people with plush lawns and those fancy homes they've built around those desert lakes that they call "irrigation holding ponds" to get around the rules that would never allow you to build your own desert lake using others water are going to end up disappearing unless Mother Nature decides to reload Lake Mead.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 105
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 63
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 56
  • This month: 56
  • This month: 55