What Type of Gravel to Use for a RV Pad???

defiant1

Honored Member
Looking for advice on what gravel type would make a solid parking pad for a camper to rest on. Concrete is not an option, so any practical experiences and applications that you all can provide utilizing gravel would be appreciated.

d1

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
2' of pea gravel - ha ha ha

- - - Updated - - -

can you imagine? you'd have huge calf muscles after a summer of that BS though

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you want less mess and something that will pack in look for recycled ground up asphalt and make sure it isn't really dirty and if possible get them to add a bit more oil to it so it packs better.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
.75 to 1.5 inch crushed rock. The crushed rock will stay in place and you won't be dragging sand into your camper when it rains.

dblkluk

★★★ Legendary Member
.75 to 1.5 inch crushed rock. The crushed rock will stay in place and you won't be dragging sand into your camper when it rains.

Or even better if you can get it, 1" crushed concrete. Concrete rubble really stays in place and you wont have the mud like you would with regular crushed (pit run) gravel. Asphalt is a good option if its wet (oily) but you'll still deal with more sand being tracked around

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
Class 13 or 5, depending on availability if you want gravel. Crushed rock, pit run, or recycled asphalt would all be good too. In recent years we have been specifying a mixture of recycled asphalt and class 5 for road base on paving projects. Typically they will let the recycled asphalt/cl 5 mix sit for the winter and get compacted then in the spring cut that down and pave over it. Normally this stuff is rock hard by spring time to the point its hard to shape with a grader. If you could get your hands of some of that mix you'd be set.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a 40' wide, and 80' deep pad next to my house that is like a river rock, or land scape rock type of stone.
My camper is a 38' 5th wheel, might be 36' cant really remember, my ProV, and a 16' utility trailer all fit on it, and it seems to work just fine with that amount of weight on it. The first owner of the place put it in, I would love to put a slab of concrete down, but momma has other plans for that $10,000

I think it is likely about 2-3 inches deep, I have a slight lower area that I am going to throw another 1/2 yard of rock on.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Pea-rock is hard to walk on but no mud. Recycled asphalt is better than rock in my opinion. Have never used crushed concrete so can't give an opinion about that but the other ideas about it make sense to me. Gravel is good if it has enough clay to pack really firm. As with all of them it's a good idea to have some slope so water will run off. You don't want any puddles. The suggestions were good regarding tracking stuff into your camper but that depends on how often you will be going in and out once parked. I would think most pit-run gravel would be fine if it's currently used for roads etc. You might have a few bigger rocks but those should be easy to dispose of in that small area.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
well i would use the recycled asphalt and class 5( north dakotas fancy way of saying base course) it will get hard and wont get soggy as fast as it shed water better than plain gravel. Im not a pit run guy for any thing but filling in a hole as all of ours had bigger rocks and is either to dirty or to clean to really pack well. We have made a blend that has the aspahlt, concrete and class 5 all mixed together that has been selling like hot cakes as every one that has used it loves it.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you can buy class 13 aggregate level it lots of water it will set up like concrete. 13 has less larger aggregate with more binders for good compaction. 13 is also called dirty cl 5

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
where are you located?

- - - Updated - - -

Of you can buy class 13 aggregate level it lots of water it will set up like concrete. 13 has less larger aggregate with more binders for good compaction. 13 is also called dirty cl 5

but once that higher PI material gets wet it will turn into the mud you see on the gravel roads the counties make with there "spec gravel" you can see when the gravel surfacing is getting on the high side of the PI as you damn near slide off the road.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
+1 on the recycled asphalt. cost is very comparable to gravel depending on where the gravel has to come from. it doesn't need to be very deep, packs nice and you get none of it stuck to your shoes, tires, etc. when its wet. the only con is that it can be a PITA to spread. we've done our long driveway and in front of the house. plan to spread a bunch more this summer.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
another question to ponder what kind of equipment will you use to place it

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Put 4 inches of recycled asphalt and concrete over packed dirt for my driveway and it set up nice. Only have a couple soft spots to deal with, but most of the 200 yrd driveway is good to go. Going to put another 3 inches over the whole thing this summer and have it graded smooth. Should be the end of it I hope. Good Luck!!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 134
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 106
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 75