Mice in four season permanents (YETIs, etc.)?

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've always wondered if such an RV would be well-suited to parking out in the woods in the summer, use it on ice in the winter.

But the mice are awful at our camping spot. So bad it's practically not worth using traditional campers.

What's been everyone's experience with mice and YETI's or some such?

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here at Ft KDM, the secret seems to be keeping the vegetation as short as possible to keep mice from taking up residence. If the grass grows up to say 8 inches or more, the mice and their mini raisins seem to magically appear. Mow and trim the grass and the neighborhood loses it's appeal. Would that work in the woods. IDK. Maybe if a camper was high enough on blocks or jacks to let predators get under it the mice may not like it as much. My spear shack is insulated and carpeted, but is stored on a lot where the guy mows between the shacks all summer. Haven't had mouse one take up residence. Had muskrats try to make it a hut once it's on the ice, but nothing off ice.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Built a ,somewhat attached, screened in porch onto our 40ft Destination camper at our lake property in northern mn. Lots of woods,mostly maple and basswood on that little piece of heaven..anywhooo, we made a serious dent in the mouse population each late summer, early fall using the pickle bucket with antifreeze in bottom and wire thru a can smeared with peanut butter trick and a little ramp for the rascals to walk up to meet their demise. We would find 5-6 dead critters in bucket each weekend when we went to lake. We put it in screened in porch. Inside the camper we did the sticky pad things but 99% of the critters that met their demise were from the pickle bucket method. Spose 40-50 each year fell victim to this method. Small dent in population i know.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
In my younger years i work for a rancher out west and lived in a trailer in his yard with all the hay bales. Large operation with tons of hay.
We did everything to get rid of the mice. At night playing cards would sit with my daisy and shoot them as they came out from under the furniture. Dropping all over every morning.
Finally got a half-ass house, farm cat and that ended the mice in our trailer. Besides killing and eating he will scare the mice away.
Damn owner for some reason did not like cats around and would gas any he could find with a sack and his pick-up. Got on me for having a cat and one time I took a few days off. When i came back never did find that cat again. No doubt where it when. Quit and moved on. db

But i imagine it is hard to put a cat out there.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
A couple of Wessels hanging around for the winter. db

NG3067

★★ Legendary Member
I have a Legend which is similar to a Yeti. The only hole a mouse could get in would be the furnace exhaust, other wise pretty much sealed. If you get one just have to be sure to check where the propane lines enter and be sure a pencil can’t fit in the hole. Copper wire mesh and spray foam if necessary.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
We got a permanent camping spot this year and we're told the several have major mouse problems but some don't. Comon denominator was people who owned cats at home had less issues then those who didn't. We'll compare results this spring when we get back down there, but I dumped a few bags of used kitty litter under mine hoping it did the trick.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a Legend which is similar to a Yeti. The only hole a mouse could get in would be the furnace exhaust, other wise pretty much sealed. If you get one just have to be sure to check where the propane lines enter and be sure a pencil can’t fit in the hole. Copper wire mesh and spray foam if necessary.
Are the bottoms lined with sheet metal and foamed inside that? Or is foam exposed to the exterior?

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
mice suck, if you own a toyota tundra you probably know what i mean. the first 2 falls i owned it had mice problems. last summer i had to put screen over the cab air intake to stop mice getting in.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
mice suck, if you own a toyota tundra you probably know what i mean. the first 2 falls i owned it had mice problems. last summer i had to put screen over the cab air intake to stop mice getting in.
Never had mice in mine but my brother in law had a suburban they would not stay out of

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
We put our food stuff in the upper cabinets in our camper and have little problem with them. Do put out dryer sheets for winter storage and some old style mouse traps. LB

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've had mice issues from missing one damn unopened package of trail mix or cheese/crackers when I cleaned out the boat. Which was covered. On a trailer. With the drain plug in. :mad:

The little effers can smell like a bloodhound and are trapeze artists. 🤬

1676651359851.png

Last edited:

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bottom and roof are foam panels that are skinned with metal.
Wow - great.

Will have to go crawl around under some of them sometime - and/or contact manufacturers.

The sticker prices I'm seeing are somewhat shocking. :LOL:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88