Mule Deer Hunt Planning

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the 64s garmin downloaded Birdseye and underlay that under trax just turn off trax when I want satellite imagery

Last edited:

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
for me
We bow hunt in the same unit that I apply for but.
If camp ground that is nice otherwise just find a spot to park on. Might be cold so get a tent with heat to keep warm at night.
Go earlier to scout if possible.
Just find a high spot and sit and watch from dark to dark. In time you will find the mule deer you feel good about.
Spent 6 days last year finding one for my grand daughter but that was on the edge of mule deer unit. She came and 3 hours later in was in the back of the pu with guts on the ground. Deer was at least 1800 yards always so took time to stalk.
Last one I shot my son and I stalk for about 2 hours. Got within 300 yards and I stated my 300 weatherby was just find at that distance but kid said we needed to get closer. Yea right no faith in his dad. At 69 it is a bitch going up and down for 2 hours. He waited a lot on me. deer kept moving but did finally lay down. Great for the memory bank.
Then stalk and hopefully harvest. Maybe a shot of 100 yards but maybe 300 yards so know your rifle.
Then prepare to maybe spent the rest of day getting out and maybe part of the next day or maybe with luck it will drop 30 yards from a road. Happens if you road hunt which works to. Do not get lost, really its a bitch if you do.
Get close to a beer joint so you can do whatever people do at a beer joint and have one for your friend once it is in the pu.
Did I mention bring a friend or two to argue with what you are doing.
Don't plan so much. Wing it, no telling where the deer may be. Bring bullets, knife and your license. Oh did I mention beer to.
Make sure you have a few more days to stay if needed over what you told your boss and wife. There are other things to do besides hunt when you leave home. With two friends.
Enjoy as in 10 years maybe you will do again and have more knowledge about what to do.
Map helps from getting kick off private land that is not private land. But no need to argue as there is plenty of places to hunt. Bring someone who can read a map but not someone who wants to drink coffee all day.

Change your eastern license plates to a ND Plate if someone has. Talk to the locals but do not tell them your from the east. 90% are great to help out and then some just plain do not like outsiders.
Maybe a second rifle just in case. Watch for the holes as they are deep. Bring one of those things to check to make sure your scope is still on when you fall down the cliff with your rifle. But above all bring a good attitude for all so the memories are great.
db

Last edited:

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
With the new up date it saves maps in 100 Square mile units . Now it will switch from topo, satellite and a hybrid topo.

I missed this new update... when did this come out? Definitely a step in the right direction if you can save larger maps and more data. Is the size compressed at all or will some 32 to 64gb phones be needed to store?

- - - Updated - - -

Never heard of this Birdseye thing until now. That does look like the cats ass. So you get satellite imagery as well as TRAX info on the same map? Does the TRAX shade over the satellite imagery with different colors of private vs public? Got a screenshot? thanks

Never been a fan of using the phone in place of GPS

Sweeney touched on it, but it does not directly overlay between the two. Its takes about 5 seconds to switch between the two. High level stuff and traveling I usually kept it on ND trax. Then when on foot or when looking for specific hiking route or wondering what's over the next ridge I would bring up the satellite images.

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
With the birds eye do you have to download specific portions of the aerial images that you want ? or how does that work?

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Skip the backpack for the deer unless you are really interested in quartering and deboning a deer in the Badlands. I have recovered probably 20 deer in the Badlands over the years and my favorite is the ugly green sled I bought in 2003. It alone has had a deer on it for more than 15 miles and is still quite functional.

sky3149lrg-1_f97a56e4-2ea7-4f46-92ca-b57b8e98b380_grande.jpg

Mine may be a little more robust than this one, it has holes in the side for stringing the rope all the way around it. Toss deer in sled, wrap the legs up in the rope on the sides, and away you go.

I also have a backpack game cart that has seen some use, but like the sled...I've gotta hike back out to fetch it up. When push comes to shove, I chose the sled even on hilly dry ground. It slides amazingly well even on dry grass and gravel. The cart is good for open flat ground without a lot of fences.

Lastly, the best way to keep the meat clean is to keep the hide on it. If you haven't played with deboning a deer in the field before, I will just say that even in November, there can be a lot of flies in the Badlands on a warm (50 degree, sun shining kind of day). For this reason, I prefer to spend my time getting the deer out on the half-shell (field dressed only). I've had no issues with the meat spoiling when using this technique, but have had issues when quartering it and packing it out.

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
With the birds eye do you have to download specific portions of the aerial images that you want ? or how does that work?

Yes, first you need subscription (which was free with my recent Garmin handheld purchase). Then you download Garmin BaseCamp to your PC. This is free and has other features to help you organize all your GPS data and customize your maps. It is in this Garmin BaseCamp that you download your specific areas that you want the Satellite images. Then load the data on the handheld with USB cord.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Skip the backpack for the deer unless you are really interested in quartering and deboning a deer in the Badlands. I have recovered probably 20 deer in the Badlands over the years and my favorite is the ugly green sled I bought in 2003. It alone has had a deer on it for more than 15 miles and is still quite functional.

sky3149lrg-1_f97a56e4-2ea7-4f46-92ca-b57b8e98b380_grande.jpg

Mine may be a little more robust than this one, it has holes in the side for stringing the rope all the way around it. Toss deer in sled, wrap the legs up in the rope on the sides, and away you go.

I also have a backpack game cart that has seen some use, but like the sled...I've gotta hike back out to fetch it up. When push comes to shove, I chose the sled even on hilly dry ground. It slides amazingly well even on dry grass and gravel. The cart is good for open flat ground without a lot of fences.

Lastly, the best way to keep the meat clean is to keep the hide on it. If you haven't played with deboning a deer in the field before, I will just say that even in November, there can be a lot of flies in the Badlands on a warm (50 degree, sun shining kind of day). For this reason, I prefer to spend my time getting the deer out on the half-shell (field dressed only). I've had no issues with the meat spoiling when using this technique, but have had issues when quartering it and packing it out.

What issues when quartering it. Wouldn't it cool much faster with the hide off and meat broke down in smaller pieces. Now with good game bags such as the TAG or BOMB bags flies and keeping it clean should not be a problem. I could see those old cotton game bags being a problem not breathing but the new synthetic take care of that problem.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
I remember dragging deer. Never again. Quarter, high quality game bags, and pack out on back. Hoofed mammals were not designed for dragging.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hoofed mammals were not designed for dragging.

Neither are the mammals that walk on 2 legs. Gimme a good knife (or 2), some game bags, and ~20min and i'll be headed to the truck carrying only what I want to take home while the rest is left behind for the transplanted Wolverines.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Game carts are nice if there is not much snow.

When I hunt mule deer the country is pretty rough. Tried a game cart and decided right then I'll never do that again. Liked game carts for antelope where it's flatter and mostly grass, not for the breaks and very steep hills. Bone out and back pack, carry out only what is edible (as in no bones) as much of the head that will either be mounted or needed for identification. Taking the meat home all boned and in coolers has never been a problem and it actually saves some work when you arrive home. Boning in the field can and should be pretty clean if done carefully and you use game bags. You can buy game bags or use your wife's favorite pillow cases.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
make sure to have a Plan B on where to hunt if your planning on hunting on federal land. very good chance that fed land will be closed by sept. until we get substantial rain. just food for thought.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I hunt mule deer the country is pretty rough. Tried a game cart and decided right then I'll never do that again. Liked game carts for antelope where it's flatter and mostly grass, not for the breaks and very steep hills. Bone out and back pack, carry out only what is edible (as in no bones) as much of the head that will either be mounted or needed for identification. Taking the meat home all boned and in coolers has never been a problem and it actually saves some work when you arrive home. Boning in the field can and should be pretty clean if done carefully and you use game bags. You can buy game bags or use your wife's favorite pillow cases.
No bones? But how can you make delicious osso bucco without the shank bones? For deer sized game I leave the quarters on the bone. Can make it in one trip usually. Call me stubborn but there's nowhere in this state more than 3 miles from a road and I like rigid quarters rather than big ol sloppy bags of boned out meat

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
full.php
Err, it has been raining in the southwest. I think it will take cooler temps. The cool season grasses won't take advantage of the recent rains when it's been 90 degrees.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
High in the 70's and low in high 40 and rain tomorrow will be nice. No talk of closing free grass lands down here

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
No bones? But how can you make delicious osso bucco without the shank bones? For deer sized game I leave the quarters on the bone. Can make it in one trip usually. Call me stubborn but there's nowhere in this state more than 3 miles from a road and I like rigid quarters rather than big ol sloppy bags of boned out meat

Can't argue with you on your points. Main point being pack out as opposed to dragging. Once boned out a deer that was no more than 1/4 mile from a trail that I could have driven my pickup to that point. Drag would have been up a very steep hill and decided carrying was easier than dragging.

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Ok so after 7 years without a tag I finally drew a mule deer buck tag in 4B. This is my first ever mule deer hunt and first ever hunt in the badlands of ND. I am super excited to say the least. Now I am starting to make plans and get my poop in a group. I have so many questions!

1. First of all, camping out there. I had planned to use a fish house/RV model as a base camp in one of the campgrounds but do they fill up? Can a guy reserve a spot? Should I bring an ATV along or not?

I would bring the camper/fishhouse. We have done both a fish house and a tent down there, and after hiking around all day it is definitely nice to come back to a comfortable bed and a solid base camp with easier cooking options. Do some research on campgrounds or just pick out a spot on aerial photos close to where you are planning on hunting. Shouldn't be a problem finding a spot.

2. Which week should I take vacation the opener or the last week? I assume there are lots of hunters on the opener but will I miss out on the big one if I wait? How about the rut and deer movement? Weather conditions?

Can't help much there, but you know how November can be. -10 or 75 degrees rainy, snowy, or icy. Bring extra clothes.

3. Need a pack for my gear and to get my meat and head out if I'm successful. I have a day pack but it won't handle meat hauling. Should I just get a frame and use my day pack with it? Would like to keep it under $200 since I'm not sure how much it'll get used after this hunt. Any recommendations?

Just get a simple frame pack. Something like the Cabelas Alaskan Frame I think is only 100$. You can get cheap straps to attach your day pack to it if you wanted.

4. Thinking about getting a handheld GPS and the NDTRAX chip. Or should I just stick with the phone and an app? Not sure what everyone else uses.

I have never used a GPS or phone down there. Get a grasslands map and learn how to read it. They have TOPO lines, if you know how to read the map, you know right where you are, no batteries or signal required. There are fences everywhere, most all the public/private lands are seperated by fences which are a great reference on your map.

5. Was going to use my .270 but I'm thinking this is a great excuse to buy a new rifle! I'm leaning towards a 7mm mag since we don't have one in the family. Thoughts on caliber, platform, ammo?

.270 will kill anything in North America.

6. I plan on getting out there a few times in September and October to scout a little and at least have an idea of where to start come the season. Wondering what I should look for as far as big buck areas come mid November? Water? Food sources? Breeding areas?

Scouting ahead of time is great, especially for finding your camping spot and getting to know the roads and access points to areas you want to hunt. The actual deer may or may not be there again in November.

7. Meat processing places? We usually cut up our own but might be easier to find a place to package it out there before heading home? Or just keep it in a cooler on ice?

Cooler on ice. Or if you are in a camper or fish house, you probably have a generator. If you can fit it in, bring a small freezer and plug it in.
Any help or suggestions are much appreciated!

That's all I have right now. Basically what we are going to be doing when we go down to bowhunt in September. Good luck!

3tt3v

Founding Member
Founding Member
full.php
Err, it has been raining in the southwest. I think it will take cooler temps. The cool season grasses won't take advantage of the recent rains when it's been 90 degrees.

I think NOAA needs to make a trip down to the sw area. No rain here. Some spots here and there but overall none

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
make sure to have a Plan B on where to hunt if your planning on hunting on federal land. very good chance that fed land will be closed by sept. until we get substantial rain. just food for thought.
When was the last time that happened? I can see a fire or vehicle ban but closed down completely?

Kngkong

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had a 4c buck last year and did well. It was also my first time hunting out west so I'll just say a few things I picked up. Spend some time scouting, and I mean several trips. You don't want to spend your hunting time looking for places to start. If you don't see any big bucks scouting don't be discouraged, they move around and I found bigger bucks hunting than I did scouting. I hunted the first week last year and the rut was just starting. I shot my buck with 6 does but lots of does and bucks were running alone. Hunting pressure wasn't that bad. there aren't that many tags handed out but the weather was nice last year and I did talk to several people bow hunting. Good binoculars and a spotting scope are a must. You don't want to spend hours trying to get in range to find out the buck isn't the one you want. Don't depend on your phone. In 4c Verizon reception was not the best, see how it is while you scout. I camped behind the Trappers Inn in Belfield but from what I noticed there was room at most other campgrounds in the area. Enjoy the scenery, there is some amazing country off the beaten path. Good luck

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
When was the last time that happened? I can see a fire or vehicle ban but closed down completely?
I have no idea if or when it's ever been done. My wife works for the national park service. I'm simply relaying what she is saying is being discussed.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 161
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88