A Dog's Purpose

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
On a lighter note, if you enjoy the occasional movie I suggest this one. I suspect most everyone on this site has some love of dogs as they go hand in hand with outdoor activities. I thought this movie was very truthful in how dogs react with humans and how dogs frequently act like us.

It was a movie, agreed. At the same time I found it humorously accurate in how I imagine dogs sometimes think about us. Also found it difficult to not shed a tear in some spots where all of us who have ever gotten close to a dog and had to say goodbye. At the same time I laughed several times at the mischief that dogs can get into just by being a dog.

For me I was glad I decided to go see an overall feel good movie.

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
when I lived in Denver and drove back and forth between there and Fargo I would frequently listen to books on tape. On one such occasion I listened to a dog book called The Art of Racing in the Rain.

The book ended when I was between Gillette & Cheyenne WY and for the remainder of the trip (2.5 hours) I wept with nothing else on the radio. Full on snot bubbles...

I am an emotional monster

Last edited:

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had a pretty stony attitude towards most things, until I became a dad. Now, look out.

Every now and again I see a video of a surprise homecoming of a military member (surprising his or her kids) and I'm a wreck. I pretty much gotta go lay down.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
when I lived in Denver and drove back and forth between there and Fargo I would frequently listen to books on tape. On one such occasion I listened to a dog book called The Art of Racing in the Rain.

The book ended when I was between Gillette & Cheyenne WY and for the remainder of the trip (2.5 hours) I wept with nothing else on the radio. Full on snot bubbles...

I am an emotional monster

haha.

they get me every time too. Makes me feel weak, and chickish.

Last edited:

JCNodak

Honored Member
I had a pretty stony attitude towards most things, until I became a dad. Now, look out.

Every now and again I see a video of a surprise homecoming of a military member (surprising his or her kids) and I'm a wreck. I pretty much gotta go lay down.
Same

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
not sure about this movie but my dogs purpose seems to be always laying right where I want to walk and leave unusually large piles of dog shit all over the yard.

norm70

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have yet to make it through Marley and Me. I doubt I would make it through this one.

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
Marley and Me is a total heave cry

Made the mistake of buying this for the wife for her to read while she was home after the kid was born…thought a good book about labs would be great…didn’t know the out come…it was like two solid weeks of tears…never again

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
is this the movie with all the controversy on how the dog was treated during filming?

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
is this the movie with all the controversy on how the dog was treated during filming?

Supposedly, but I watched for that and I could not find anything that remotely made me think that this dog was ever mistreated.

- - - Updated - - -

not sure about this movie but my dogs purpose seems to be always laying right where I want to walk and leave unusually large piles of dog shit all over the yard.

Yeah, there were things pretty close to these purposes.

- - - Updated - - -

Not going to lie, in the movie as in life, when dogs reach a certain age it's there time to go just as it is for us. Thankfully, that is a small portion of the story, you will laugh a lot more than shed a tear.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member

Better in the yard then in your shoe.

There is not to much that makes me cry but dogs dying and taps have a soft spot.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Better in the yard then in your shoe.

There is not to much that makes me cry but dogs dying and taps have a soft spot.

Yes, was visiting Washington DC years ago, and was taking a tour at Arlington. There was a burial taking place, I have no idea who. Was a rainy cool day, and when they did the salute, and played taps... uff. There were a lot of people there, who were NOT there for the funeral, who were standing quietly in the rain, paying respect.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I avoid things that make me feel feelings.

o424xsx.jpg

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have to chuckle at what a bunch of tough guys we are. Don't want to go to a movie because we might shed a tear at the thought of a dog, "who we don't know anything about," might end up in doggie heaven.

The truth is that is how easy we become attach to these animals. When one that we know nothing about is gone, it reminds us of one that we were so attached to.

And when our favorite dog is gone what do we do? We go find another one to replace him or her so we can go through the process again. I think the purpose of a dog is to create good memories so we can survive the loss when they are gone. If you are like me I've shed tears for dogs of friends as well as my own dogs.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 62
  • This month: 46
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 28
  • This month: 23
  • This month: 19