Us old feller's~

snow2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
WE ARE A GENERATION THAT WILL NEVER COME BACK.
A generation that walked to school and then walked back.
A generation that did their homework alone to get out asap to play in the street.
A generation that spent all their free time in the streets with their Friends.
A generation that played hide and seek when dark.
A generation that made mud cakes.
A generation that collected sports cards.
A generation that found, collected and washed & Returned empty coke bottles to the local grocery store for 5 cents each , then bought a Mountain Dew and candy bar with the money.
A generation that made paper toys with their bare hands.
A generation who bought vinyl albums to play on record players.
A generation that collected photos and albums of clippings of their life experiences as a Kid.
A generation that played board games and cards on rainy days.
A generation whose TV went off at midnight after playing the National Anthem.
A generation that had parents who were there.
A generation that laughed under the covers in bed so parents didn't know we were still awake.
A generation that is passing and unfortunately it will never return no matter how hard we try.
I loved Growing up

Came across this read as I was tearing my house apart looking for my old "baseball cards" that came in a bubble gum wrapper/package,one big flat pirce of bubble gum and a couple baseball cards,we kids traded cards for different players, after news broke last night about "mickey mantel"
baseball card sold for 12+ million,I had his at one time and many others,good ole day's we all had out sport idles.

Any of you old timer's have a baseball card collection? or was this a city thing?

Last edited:

NodakBob

Honored Member
A generation that walked through town carrying our guns at age 15 while on our way to hunt or shootup targets in the countryside

snow2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
That's cool Bob,no firearm weapons were aloud in in my town,but sling shots,bow's game on,I had a trapline during fall months I checked walking to school everyday,always had a couple sets for skunks...in hopes of getting sprayed whilst dispatching the critter,best bet to "get out of school card" lol,worked everytime,soon I had a few buddies tagging along checking my trapline,some even helped keeping the skunk traps baited iffin I was slackin.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
In HS we were backing boats in, drinking in bars that let minors in. 18 was legal so it wasn't much of a stretch. Working on our own cars, changing oil in dads truck, and of course mowing the lawn. Mowing started in elementary BTW. I helped by brother haul freight when they needed it starting at 9 and 10. By 14 I was driving the trucks and delivering by myself.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Driving tractors by age 10, pickup before I could reach the pedals. Rode bike to school when weather permitted, 4 miles one-way. It was closer to town. Hunted with a 22 by age 10 and had a motorized scooter by 12 years of age but could not take it to school. Smart folks for that rule. Dad had a team of horses that we used in the winter for chores. The A John Deere was just for moving snow, big bucket on a crows-nest loader. The 50 chevy pickup was our truck and car. Miss those days. LB

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I remember driving the pickup from home to the field and vice versa with my brother on the floor pushing the gas and brake while I was on my knees doing the steering and shifting. Drinking an ice cold old mil pounder with the men at the end of a day of picking rocks and throwing them in the loader bucket at 7 years old. Ah the good ole days............

watson

Founding Member
Founding Member
The old bar in town would give us a shot glass of beer whenever dad ordered a tap, was probably 13 at the time

Wirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
My dad would let me & a friend take his pick-up (prize possession) around area pastures with 22's and hunt for gophers when we turned 10. Gandfather would supply the ammo if we would bring the tails back. We were given specific rules to follow, top speed to drive = 20 MPH, which direction to shoot in each pasture, and how far from the farm we could go. I can honestly say that we followed the rules as we clearly understood what the consequences would be. It was not uncommon to shoot 100+ on some days.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Gramps would put the ole Studebaker truck in super low and have me (6)do the steering up and down the rows of bales as he threw them on.
Dad use to deliver Hamms beer so that's what I was broke in on.
Sure do miss those days . . .

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
My dad would let me & a friend take his pick-up (prize possession) around area pastures with 22's and hunt for gophers when we turned 10. Gandfather would supply the ammo if we would bring the tails back. We were given specific rules to follow, top speed to drive = 20 MPH, which direction to shoot in each pasture, and how far from the farm we could go. I can honestly say that we followed the rules as we clearly understood what the consequences would be. It was not uncommon to shoot 100+ on some days.

We got 2 cents a gopher tail when I was a little guy.

They had bounties on everything back then in Montana.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I remember:

Every summer built 20-25 haystacks. Dad would bring in a bucket of hay with the M tractor and farmhand loader. i and my brother's job was, with pitchforks, to build the perfect haystack in the old man's mind. Temp was usually 90 degrees. He said he did us a favor with square bales. Right

Picking rock with a stone boat. Rocks were heavy to put on and then at pile they needed to be bunch up and not just throw off. Dad's favor time for us to pick rocks on the summer fallow was every time when he was upset with us. And it was always 90 degrees. And the rocks never ended.

Fencing with a manual post hole digger and using oak fence post that seem to last only 3-4 years.

Shoveling grain into the wooden grain bin with a steel shovel and then using that same shovel to shovel it back out.

Had a Welsh painted horse that every time i try to get on he would pull me off with his teeth on my ass.

Loading the grain drill with 80 lb fert sacks that i could not lift.

Using a wide pitchfork to clean the chicken coup. And did it smell. And holding the chicken as mom chop the head off.

That is enough thinking about those great times and there were many of those. db

- - - Updated - - -

Baseball cards were used on the bikes.

Last edited:

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
What will today's kids tell for stories about the old days? Hopefully I've done my job and my boys will have more to talk about than YouTubers they watched. Granted they aren't stacking bales.....prep and maintain the garden, mow, misc. carpentry and mechanical work, early morning hunting/fishing, dog poop after a long winter, anything else mom or dad asks for.

snow2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
db~

lol,bet you enjoyed every minute....agreed,chicken coup,poultry coup in general on a hot summer day stink ,burns your eyes,and nose,pig pen is another nasty on a hot day,make that everyday.

Farm I hunted for years in the Kearny nebraska area....farm boyz were 8 and 10 years old,every other morning they were on the skid steer cleaning the pig pen or barn before school or after,I made sure to take them pheasant hunting when I visited,which was a challenge as these farm boyz didn't have much gun range time other than plinking with a .22,hell I got shot,my truck got shot,loss a winshield but we all survived and these boyz learned a lesson,all was good after a few mishaps

Last edited:

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
TV who had TV? Didnt walk to school in the winter. Dad harnessed Lady the old horse. Mom heated a flat rock on the wood stove. Dad put the rock on the sled and a fork full of straw on top so I didn't burn my rear. Then I wrapped up in grandpa's old Buffalo robe. When the bells stopped jingling I was beside the school steps. wrapped the rock in the rob and slapped Lasy on the rear and she went home. 3:30pm she woukd be standing in the same spot and the rock and straw were wrapped in the robe.
Shot gophers with the 22 when I was seven. Couldn't reach the clutch on the Allis Chalmers, so I summer followed with a U Minneapolis Molline with a hand clutch. When I was 12 we git a Ford tractor with overdrive. Hitched up the old two wheel trailer and went fishing overnight with my dog and pet raccoon. Hide in the grain shocks and wait for crows. Hide in the straw piles and wait for the fox to come and look for mice. Hide under the hay upstairs in the barn and wait for pigeons. Go upstairs in the barn at night with a BB gun and flashlight and shoot dozens of sparrows. Dig fresh wild unions in the pasture in spring and have everyone complain about your breath. Cow milk tast onion for a couple weeks too.

snow2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
TV who had TV? Didnt walk to school in the winter. Dad harnessed Lady the old horse. Mom heated a flat rock on the wood stove. Dad put the rock on the sled and a fork full of straw on top so I didn't burn my rear. Then I wrapped up in grandpa's old Buffalo robe. When the bells stopped jingling I was beside the school steps. wrapped the rock in the rob and slapped Lasy on the rear and she went home. 3:30pm she woukd be standing in the same spot and the rock and straw were wrapped in the robe.
Shot gophers with the 22 when I was seven. Couldn't reach the clutch on the Allis Chalmers, so I summer followed with a U Minneapolis Molline with a hand clutch. When I was 12 we git a Ford tractor with overdrive. Hitched up the old two wheel trailer and went fishing overnight with my dog and pet raccoon. Hide in the grain shocks and wait for crows. Hide in the straw piles and wait for the fox to come and look for mice. Hide under the hay upstairs in the barn and wait for pigeons. Go upstairs in the barn at night with a BB gun and flashlight and shoot dozens of sparrows. Dig fresh wild unions in the pasture in spring and have everyone complain about your breath. Cow milk tast onion for a couple weeks too.

Great memories PG,you got me on the "hand clutch" that's a new one for me,never seen one or used one.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Hand Clutch Our A John Deere and WD Alias Chalmers both had hand clutch. LB

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Hand clutch was great for hooking up whatever. From the ground would push the hand clutch in in order to hook up but sometimes push too hard and with luck never hurt myself. db

fly2cast

Founding Member
Founding Member
Neighborhood street football, hide and seek after dark and smear the queer were my favorites in the 70s and early 80s. Also had a secret club behind the garage where I learned to play poker and smoke cigarettes in 5th grade. Good times.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 161
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88