A little History on Remington's 870

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
My dad bought me a brand new Wingmaster 870 in the mid to late 70's. Real sweet looker with the vent rib barrel. Thumbs Up Shot the crap out of that gun for many years. I parked it in the gun cabinet when the whole steel shot thing came about. I didn't want to mess with the barrel so as to leave it original. I hope to hand it to one of my kids to hand to one of theirs. Love that gun!

Fish On !

If you should want it back in svs, replacement bbls rated for steel, etc are a dime a dozen. IMHO, the 870 is the AR of shotguns.

- - - Updated - - -

I can't remember which gun I bought first a lever action Marlin 22 or my 870, but both were in 1971. I did cut the barrel down to 23 inches and threaded it for chokes. I got the chokes for $6 on sale, but I picked a type hard to find now. I guess I have six chokes so don't need new ones anyway. They are still readily available at Brownell's.
I sometimes shot a little behind on pheasants. Got as many tail feathers as meat to eat. Since cutting it to 23 inches I don't know if it swings better, or I shoot better, but no problem anymore with shooting behind.
I plan on an Alaskan trip with our camper and know I can't take a handgun through Canada. I also know they will wet their pants at the border if I try go through with a tactical shotgun, so I bought a new 870 Turkey special. It has only a 21 inch barrel, but unlike the tactical it has a vent rib, and no pistol grip. It should be good to go.

From my complete genius with shotgun shooting diagnostics; I surmise you were having an issue with follow-through compensated by a faster swing.

- - - Updated - - -

What chokes came with your Turkey? You plan on slugs or buck?

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
Corvette:
th

Camaro:
th
I wouldnt go as far to say the 870 is just a Camaro. If they are then there a souped up Camaro. The Wingmaster is the king of pumps made today. Now the 870 express is just another pump. My 870 when I push the slide release the action just falls open they are so smooth. The express just goes click. The difference between stamped and machined parts.

I do have a very nice Wingmaster 12 ga with a 28 vent rib Im going to sell. early 80's model in very nice shape. its a 2 3/4 inch model. Im keeping the 3 inch model for myself.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wasn't trying to insult a Camaro. As you well know, the M12's internals were hand polishied/fitted like a Les Baer 1911, it was designed to be adjusted should it wear...etc...

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
M12:870 = Lincoln Town Car Brougham:Chevy Caprice Classic

Ponyroper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bought my first gun in college in 1970. It was a used/like new 870 Wingmaster Trap grade with the Monte Carlo Stock. Bought it at the Fargo Scheel's store. Can't even guess how many rounds I put through it over the years. Used to shoot 2-300 rounds a week practicing trap back when I thought I was a good shot. Used it for bird hunting up until about 10 years ago when I decided I wanted something with interchangeable chokes and I bought an 870 Express. I was so used to that straight Monte Carlo stock that I couldn't shoot the Express so I swapped the stocks and put the old 30" barrel on the gun cabinet. I always wondered if it would be worth the money to restore that Trap model to it's original beautiful profile.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
My dad bought me a new wingmaster 12 with vent rib in in 73. I have killed more upland game with that that any shotgun I own. Never had a problem with t.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bought my first gun in college in 1970. It was a used/like new 870 Wingmaster Trap grade with the Monte Carlo Stock. Bought it at the Fargo Scheel's store. Can't even guess how many rounds I put through it over the years. Used to shoot 2-300 rounds a week practicing trap back when I thought I was a good shot. Used it for bird hunting up until about 10 years ago when I decided I wanted something with interchangeable chokes and I bought an 870 Express. I was so used to that straight Monte Carlo stock that I couldn't shoot the Express so I swapped the stocks and put the old 30" barrel on the gun cabinet. I always wondered if it would be worth the money to restore that Trap model to it's original beautiful profile.

Yes, the early Wingmaster Trap/Skeet models are appreciating.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84