A little Local History

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Davey did you read the article I posted it has to do with the par site and minuteman missles.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
@ PrarieGhost Save me an hour and tell me what I missed PG. I honestly want to learn more but don't have the patients to watch so many videos.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
@ PrarieGhost Save me an hour and tell me what I missed PG. I honestly want to learn more but don't have the patients to watch so many videos.
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/247747#1
https://www.science.org/content/art... that all Native,now-drowned land of Beringia
People are claiming that the new world was populated by 3 waves of people and that the first migrants had all been extinct before the next wave of people migrated from the east Asia. But if you read the first article I posted
SUBSCRIBE

Native American Ancestors Came From Asia In Three Migrations​

500x500_Catharine_Paddock.png

By Catharine Paddock, Ph.D. on July 12, 2012
The ancestors of Native American populations from the tip of Chile in the south to Canada in the north, migrated from Asia in at least three waves, according to a new international study published online in Nature this week that involved over 60 investigators in 11 countries in the Americas, plus four in Europe, and Russia.
In what they describe as the most comprehensive survey of genetic diversity in Native Americans so far, the researchers studied variation in Native American DNA sequences. They found that while most Native American populations descend primarily from one migration, there were two later ones that also made a significant genetic contribution.
The first migration, that led to the majority of Native American populations, was of a single group called the “First Americans” that crossed from Asia to America in a land bridge called Beringia, that existed during the ice ages more than 15,000 years ago, say the researchers, whose efforts were co-ordinated by Professor Andres Ruiz-Linares of the department of Genetics, Evolution and Environment at University College London (UCL) in the UK.

The later migrants probably arrived in boats, after the land-bridge disappeared at the end of the ice ages.
In a press statement, Ruiz-Linares explains that for years there has been a debate about whether the settlement of the Americas came from one or several migrations out of Siberia.
“But our research settles this debate: Native Americans do not stem from a single migration. Our study also begins to cast light on patterns of human dispersal within the Americas,” he adds.
The findings confirm what linguist Joseph Greenberg proposed in 1986. From studying language differences among Native Americans, he said the Americas must have been populated in three waves of migration.

For the study, the researchers searched more than 300,000 specific DNA markers or “snips” (SNPs, Single Nucleotide Polymorphisms) from 52 Native American and 17 Siberian groups, looking for similar and different patterns of genes.
Co-author David Reich, Professor of genetics at Harvard Medical School in the US, says they found evidence of at least three “deep lineages”:
“The Asian lineage leading to First Americans is the most anciently diverged, whereas the Asian lineages that contributed some of the DNA to Eskimo-Aleut speakers and the Na-Dene-speaking Chipewyan from Canada are more closely related to present-day East Asian populations,” says Reich.

It appears that 50% of the DNA of Eskimo-Aleut speakers comes from the First Americans, while in the Na-Dene-speaking Chipewyans, 90% of their DNA descends from the First Americans.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lunk the DNA from South America, Central America, and the southern U S is Polynesian. The northern U S they are unsure of what happened to the first or their origin. The Asian and first either assimilated or the Asians killed them off.
The only sure thing is. what we call Native Americans are not. That not much different than the rest of the world. People have invaded, and people have been displaced for thousands of years and most who think they are in their native land are not.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for the vid, Lunk. I don't know that I knew any of the players, although I've likely met at least a few of them. Some of their kids though were classmates of mine.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for the vid, Lunk. I don't know that I knew any of the players, although I've likely met at least a few of them. Some of their kids though were classmates of mine.
Wow that's awesome Allen glad you liked
Was also a good thing the nd athletics association did for these young men in 2002

Gr8tz

Established Member
That was a good video on the history of Grand Forks, the lady from the historical society was my childhood friend's mom

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
Interesting story. Glad they got their title and you have to feel for them a little. I would be pretty pissed off if the government came knocking on my door and told to me to pack my shit because they are flooding the town.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree what amazes me is dishonesty of the federal government even back then, dorgan made a good point that north dakota was promised some pretty important things that could have definitely benefited our state. I'm not going into details on what those are because the video already points these out.

Here is another story on stories from the past
https://www.inforum.com/news/the-vault/when-north-dakota-lost-its-marbles

Anyone remember this or knew anyone who played in this tournament?

When North Dakota 'lost its marbles'​

It was 1937, playing marbles was a big deal, and a state tournament pitted the best of the best against each other. Then came controversy.[/COLOR]​

two boys shoot marbles on the ground in this historical black-and-white photo

[COLOR=var(--color-secondary-text)]Boys shooting marbles in Woodbine, Iowa, in May 1940, in what appears to be a much lower-stakes game than the controversy of 1937 in North Dakota. Photographed by John Vachon, a photographer with the Farm Security Administration.
Courtesy / Library

All across North Dakota in 1937, boys and girls age 14 or younger were preparing to go head-to-head in a great marble tournament.
Depending on size of the community, schools held tournaments first; then cities held their own tournaments, waiting for the best player to shoot his or her way to the top. Next, county tournaments separated, and then, tri-county tournaments. Finally, the top shooters were sent to Grand Forks on May 15 to compete for district and state championship.
Several children who won a marbles tournament stand in line in a historical black and white photo in a newspaper clipping

Clipping from The Bismarck Tribune, May 11, 1937.
(Courtesy / Bismarck Tribune via Newspapers.com)[/COLOR]
Marble Champs were “out for blood” in Bismarck. There were reports of expected “kibitzing” from the grade-schoolers. “If the excitement of the school tournaments last Saturday is any indication, police squads will have to be called out … to quell the inter-school riots as fans root for their champs,” the Bismarck Capital reported.
It was a big deal in Ashley, too. After the paper printed a listing of rules, and a listing of awards to come, in the results of a long tourney, one boy and one girl were to travel on to the tourney for McIntosh County. It was on this day that Ashley hosted a vicious, county play-off against Wishek. Wishek won; then the problems began.
Some of those involved in the tournament found that it was unfair: “Members of the committee, consisting of four boys … protested on the grounds that the county marble tournament was not satisfactory, and because of the cold weather, should never have been played.”

a newspaper clipping from May 1937 about the terminology involved in playing marbles

Newspaper clipping from the Mandan Morning Pioneer, May 1, 1937.
Indeed, the weather was particularly bad that week, and papers across the state reported roaring gales that carried sleet, snow and dust with them to different parts of the state. Whether or not that affected the outcome of the tournament was debatable—but it was debatable enough that they decided to leave all decisions about the tournament’s outcome up to the county supervisor.
It didn’t matter in the end, though. The big game in Grand Forks—and, in fact, every game he played there—was won by 11-year-old William Stroh, from Mandan. He beat Howard Moen, a 13-year-old from Mayville, by 3-1 in the final match. Third place went to Cornet Haroldson of Aneta, fourth to Dale Butterfield of Stanley, and fifth to the “southpaw” Bob Odney of Grand Forks.
In this case, one tournament caused the whole state to lose its marbles.
“Dakota Datebook” is a radio series from Prairie Public in partnership with the State Historical Society of North Dakota and with funding from Humanities North Dakota

Last edited:

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yesterday's video game

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 160
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 121