Action Camera setup for fishing

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I have just started dabbling in recording the families fishing adventures. I have not been the best at taking pictures and videos over the years. Looking to change that.

I rather enjoy the post processing portion, of taking the vids, and compiling them into a watchable video.

Does anyone do this on here? What is your setup? What cameras do you like the best? How did you set them up on your boat?

I was thinking about putting one on each windshield, pointed back, catching the action on each side of the boat. The wide angle lenses on the action cams catches everything in the boat quite easily.

I was also considering wearing a cam on my head ... maybe.

Here is my 1st, very rough, go at it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmXADCzwgyw&t=10s

ccarver80

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Nice video! It can sometimes be a headache to edit hours if film. I use sjcam for my cameras...side by side compared to a GoPro it's very similar! Only difference is you can buy like 5 of them for the price of one GoPro.

I also us Corel videostudio for editing, its fairly easy to learn and has some awesome features for multi cameras.

Last year I wore a chest harness and I find it way easier the a head camera... Better point of view and easier to look down and check the camera....

I've been using a 32gb micro SD card in my camera and hooking it to a battery bank. With the setting 720p @ 30fps I can get 10 solid hours of record time. I am currently looking for a camera that has a "loop feature" something that cuts and saves the last x amount of minutes when you hit the stop button.... It's a pain in the @$$ to scroll thru 10 hours of footage and cutting out small parts...

Hopefully this helps #$%^&>

- - - Updated - - -

Here is the site for the cameras... they have really nice 4k cameras now, I believe you can also find them on Amazon
www.sjcam.com

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
It's a pain in the @$$ to scroll thru 10 hours of footage and cutting out small parts...

I was thinking that a guy could stop recording after a catch, then just start recording right away. Then every catch would simply be at the end of each cut.

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's what I do. And if you fish for a while but nothing happens that you want to save stop the recording and use the "delete last" feature (on GoPro).

I dabbled in recording for a while but didn't do much last fishing season. I missed so many cool muskie bites a couple years ago and then when I had the damn thing on nothing would happen. It got to the point where it was distracting from my fishing, so I pretty much stopped recording most the time.

One thing I like to do with my camera now is to mount it to the windshield and use it for taking pictures when I am fishing by myself, or to get a good picture of everyone in the boat. Set it to time lapse and 2 pictures a second, and in a short amount of time you have a lot of pictures to choose from. Works great with fish pictures, you can usually get at least one perfect picture.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I've been using a 32gb micro SD card in my camera and hooking it to a battery bank. With the setting 720p @ 30fps I can get 10 solid hours of record time.

You get that much record time on a single 32gb card?

ccarver80

★★★★★ Legendary Member
You get that much record time on a single 32gb card?

Yea at those settings I do, if I bump it up to 1080 it's like 4hrs .... I haven't noticed a huge difference in my videos to justify using 1080 and loosing 6hrs of record time.

Also on the stop after every catch I tried that and it got to the point I'd forget one time and end up having to scroll thru footage anyways...

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
leave the camera running - a boat might drive over you, a meteor will hit the water, or some other spectacular incident - you want that rolling so you can cash in

also - I love to see the "I wasn't ready" bites - the delayed reaction on some people is priceless

I don't allow continuous cameras in my boat for just that reason, ha ha - that... and my "second hookset" is also embarrassing

ccarver80

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Bingo this is why I like to roll all the time... I need to start rolling as soon as I get to the marina.
. Had multiple incidents at the boat ramp alone ...;:;popcorn

Predel

I use a GoPro with different mount setups. I can suction it to the motor, windshield, and I have a clamp that'll hold on to the trolling motor for a different vantage point. I also have a GoPro pole for underwater footage. Pretty cool stuff, although tough to always be changing batteries and cards, let alone keeping track of footage

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 173
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 66
  • This month: 64
  • This month: 64
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 56