Aluminum Trailers

ktm450

★★ Legendary Member
I would get the dual axal, it has many benefits, but the ride is way better, it holds more weight, pulls nicer (doesn't fishtail), and you can legally pull it behind another trailer, such as a camper.

You guys pulling those single axle trailers with your boat on behind the camper are doing it all wrong, and it is illegal, they also have to have breaks of some type on them.
i havent looked into it to much but once u get tandem axel does that change to a 7 pin connector for trailer brakes on them? my 5th wheel isnt wired for 7 pin connector so that would kinda be a damper for pulling the utility trailer behind the camper if needed.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
i havent looked into it to much but once u get tandem axel does that change to a 7 pin connector for trailer brakes on them? my 5th wheel isnt wired for 7 pin connector so that would kinda be a damper for pulling the utility trailer behind the camper if needed.
Yes, it is a seven, however you can get the adaptor, but that might eliminate the brakes

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Steel trailers look like crap from road salt and rocks after yr. Sanded and repainted, same thing in a yr. Wish I would have spent the extra money for aluminum right away.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nope, when pulling triples, the one hooked up to the pickup is the only one that needs breaks. Have been pulling the boat (single axel) behind the camper for over 15 years and never been stopped or told different.
A motor vehicle may pull two trailers. This would allow the towing of a boat trailer behind a gooseneck or bumper hitch camping trailer. If the first trailer is a gooseneck or 5th wheel connection, the first trailer must be equipped with brakes, and the second trailer must be equipped with safety chains.

As it turns out you are right, not sure why my entire life I was under the assumption it needed tandems

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Steel trailers look like crap from road salt and rocks after yr. Sanded and repainted, same thing in a yr. Wish I would have spent the extra money for aluminum right away.
you are right about that on the steel trailers. However you can have them bed linered and then they look and hold up alot better. I wish I'd have bed linered my whole trailer but just did the fenders.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I love that idea but I'm not seeing prices comparable to an open trailer. What make/model do you have?
I bought from Extreme sales, Mandan ND and bought best enclosed model Haulmark around $14K, there is cheaper models. I have had steel with wood deck about 12k GVW flat bed was around $8K with tilt hyd bed which I loved vs ramps and then Aluma trailer for awhile for weight difference was nice 10K GVW no tilt bed slung low like $13K was lite pulled nice. Had friends with enclosed trailers and it just fit bill better for what I do. Pulls not much more difference than steel trailer for me long or short trips. I use Shocker hitch combo which makes big difference too.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm leaning towards an Aluma 18' with slide out ramps. Little more expensive but seems very well built compared to some similar trailers like mission and H and H. Not crazy about the aluminum deck though.

ktm450

★★ Legendary Member
For me the best priced one and closest to what im after is an H & H trailer- 14' aluminum with wood bed, single spring axel (kinda wanted torsion but can live with it), bi fold ramp on the back and the front side load for atv's. and thats just under $5000

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
10 minutes of basic wiring and you can have a 7 pin plug on your camper.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
You don't need to be wired for 7 pin on back of your 5th wheel. If your utility trailer "does" have a 7 pin, they sell adapters to change back down to standard 4-5 pin. Brakes not required on 3rd rig

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 90
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 63
  • This month: 56