Anyone drift sock anymore?

MicLee

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does anyone still use a drift sock? It wasn't very long ago that I remember seeing them all over and everywhere. Now I hardly ever see one hooked to a boat. I still use mine when drifting on a breezier day and when the conditions dictate it.

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does anyone still use a drift sock? It wasn't very long ago that I remember seeing them all over and everywhere. Now I hardly ever see one hooked to a boat. I still use mine when drifting on a breezier day and when the conditions dictate it.
Yes when the wind is too much to go against with the electric I’ll drive up to the start of my drift and throw out a big drift sock to make sure I’m going the right speed. Sometimes two drift socks if windy enough. I enjoy drifting because it is peaceful

I also would use a small drift sock when back trolling but not many people back troll except for tiller fisherman

1850reata

Founding Member
Founding Member
Used one on Oahe this last Saturday morning. Was drifting a little too fast without it otherwise.

BJL

Founding Member
Founding Member
We used one at the NW Angle on LOWs last weekend. The electric trolling motor quit and the sock worked well for us. Glad it was still in the boat.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Never used one, never had a problem catching fish in wind even on Sak. I think people fish to slow though in general. Speed up and get the reaction bite and cover more water rather than dangling a worm at .5mph!

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
bfishn... i agree. as long as you can keep the bait in front of their face, i prefer to be in that 2.8-3.0 mph range. even with bbs and spinners. i don't run lead core though. so, i am not able to get it done when the fish move deeper in the summer.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Agree with ^^^,use all your tool's iffin ya got em

Pedro

Established Member
If you use one, please don’t pull into a community spot and loose focus that you’re still in charge of maneuvering your boat. Been anchored up in a spot too many times to see a boat full of people fishing off one side and not paying any attention to what or who they’re drifting into.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you use one, please don’t pull into a community spot and loose focus that you’re still in charge of maneuvering your boat. Been anchored up in a spot too many times to see a boat full of people fishing off one side and not paying any attention to what or who they’re drifting into.

Foolishly: I took the boy to the 'race once on the 4th weekend to the "Pre-'11" West Beach and stayed a bit too long/late for "one more" walleye/cat. I have still have two blueback Rapalas obtained from idiots snagging our lines about 8yds out. I believe I gave the same angler quite the "thrill" as I severed the line a 2nd time with a USA Buck. I had a lantern going with aluminum foil blocking "back-light" to deter retardation.

I consider these two Raps as my greatest trophies. Dim your fucking high beams and don't ride the left lane.

That is all.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82