Anyone got a Traeger pellet grill and smoke a brisket with it?

silentbob

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got a 14 lb brisket im going to smoke up tomorrow morning, probably start it around 5 a.m. so it can be done at a decent time. I have already rubbed it with a montreal seasoning, a little extra ground black peppercorn, some sea salt, cayenne and red pepper flake seasoning and its been sitting in the fridge in tin foil since yesterday. Wondering if anyone on here has done it with their traeger? how did it turn out? What method did you use? I am planning on doing it fat side up the whole time then once it hits 180 i will wrap it in tinfoil until it gets to about 200. then let it rest for a half hour.
Is this the right way to go? thanks for the help guys.

GSP

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm far from an expert, and I use a vertical propane smoker but my experience is that 175 is a good internal temp for brisket, at least if you plan on slicing it. And as always, slice thin and against the grain. Let us know how it turns out.

silentbob

Founding Member
Founding Member
you know i was thinking 200 might be a bit too done. especially since i like my steak hardly done, just seared a bit lol! but thats what i seen allover the interwebs about it. i will probably just take it off once it hits around 180 and call it good.
How does your propane smoker work? im guessing you use your own chunks of wood for the smoke?
thanks for the reply and i will be sure to post some pictures of the final product

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
we did one following the recipe on the traeger website and it was awesome... all my base recipes came off their site...

i remember having it in a foil pan and covering it at the end i think...

.deleted.

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have a traeger, You are pretty much spot on with how you are going to do it. I have made a half a dozen briskets on my grill and running the meat temp up to 210 it gets a bit more tender. Still wrap it in foil at 180 or in a foil pan and after slicing it leave it in the juicy goodness. Smoke it for 4 hours before turning the temp up to 250. Happy smoking! P.s. Dont rush it! Started my last 8lb at 2:30 am, off the grill at 11:30 and rested for 30 min. Remember you cant smoke meat without drinking a beer! Or ten!

silentbob

Founding Member
Founding Member
thanks guys! honestly i plan on keeping it set to smoke, is this not the right thing to do? i havnt had my traeger locked on smoke to see what temp it actually "smokes" at. i would assume its around there, no?
As far as beer goes, i bought 2 cases today to get ready for this endeavor haha!

Crankn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't have a traeger when you are done smoking is the grill burner electric can you just grill without pellets? Never been around one. Thanks:;:howdy

silentbob

Founding Member
Founding Member
It burns pellets for both heat and smoke, so you do need pellets to keep grilling. the electric portion of the grill powers temp control and blower, the auger that feeds the pellets in the fire cup and also the small "burner" that actually lights the pellets in the cup.
One of the best purchases I made was this grill! havnt been disappointed yet.

Berdman

I saw another real nice new grill last week at Home Depot. It mimics the Green Egg except its made of metal and porcelain (dome). I'm going to be getting one as they are priced at $299 and appear to be of pretty good quality for the price. Add a few cups of flavor pellets once in a while and it should be a great grill system. Has anyone tried one yet?

silentbob

Founding Member
Founding Member
my folks have a green egg and i really enjoy using it when i visit. If you do get one like it, make sure to get the electric heat coil to light the wood chunks. makes it 10x easier to get going. The main thing that turned me to a wood pellet grill rather then getting a green egg was the ease of use. all i have to do is fill the hopper and set it to whichever temp i need it at. no worrying about opening vents and making sure i have it adjusted just right to keep temp

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
YouTube is a great resource on this topic.

Look at Rec Tec for recipes that work in any pellet grills. Also check out pellet heads.com for tons of upgrades and tricks for your Treager.

i just bought a Treager and am very excited to get it seasoned in and get serious.

silentbob

Founding Member
Founding Member
8 hours in and this thing is looking goooood! internal temp is already @ 150F. Thought it would have taken alot longer than this. Was having a problem this morning where the smoke setting wouldnt hold, probably because it was 20 degrees out! Have had it at 185 since. Also i have been coating the top with a little mix of apple cider vinegar, worcestershire, cayenne pepper and red pepper flakes every so often. cant wait to cut into it!!

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would like to buy a pellet grill with a sear feature so that only need one grill.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just seasoned the shit out of one and put it in the fridge. :;:rockitI'm going to cook mine on the grill though, have some big hickory chunks I will soak in water and put over a burner at the start of cooking then a couple just before taking it off. Planning on a low heat for at least 6 hours!:;:smokin ;:;boozer

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would like to buy a pellet grill with a sear feature so that only need one grill.

I wonder why no one makes a pellet grill/smoker with a gas powered infrared sear station?

silentbob

Founding Member
Founding Member
the front part of the grill is their "hot spot" so i will sear a steak there then move it back to cook.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
would be great if the traeger could sear... the higher end brands can get up over 600 degrees, but since i started smoking i cook way more chicken and pork anyway it seems...

silentbob

Founding Member
Founding Member
Attach0 (2).jpgAttach0.jpgAttach0 (1).jpgAttach0 (3).jpg

finally got her done. smoked for 12 hours, internal temp was around 180. i am very glad you guys had said not to go up to 200 like most sites recommend, it wouldnt have turned out this amazing! has a good smoke ring. fat must have been a little thick on the top because the smoke ring is just barely there up in that area. I also made some homemade coleslaw, some italian chicken pasta, and some nice thick texas toast. everything turned out really well!

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
very nice!!!

one thing i will say i've learned is to trim most of the fat off to let the smoke penetrate, and to get more bark on butts...

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 76
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 52
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 32
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 31