Aqueducts and the red river

Eatsleeptrap

★★ Legendary Member
fozzy-ffs.gif

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm sure this resulted from the environmental impact study done pre-construction. This is all EPA/DEQ driven.

I love how the renditions make it look so nice and clean and peaceful.....they should have included the homeless people shitting in the water and graffiti all over the walls!

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I'm sure this resulted from the environmental impact study done pre-construction. This is all EPA/DEQ driven.

I love how the renditions make it look so nice and clean and peaceful.....they should have included the homeless people shitting in the water and graffiti all over the walls!
Up stream or down. It matters. LB

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member

This is not necessarily correct. The Environmental Impact Statement (I'm not even sure they had to go that far) falls under NEPA, which is a federal law signed by Nixon. The EPA/DEQ are just pawns on the board when it comes to this stuff.

In reality, neither of these will be the first stream crossing a govt project in ND. This is barely news, or am I wrong?

I've made my thoughts, and discussed my perspective on this before. Nothing has really changed.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Allen, I am confused as to why this is necessary wouldn’t it be easier to build a lock damn system that can be used during times when the diversion isn't in use. The pictures in the article are not really good at explaining the concept of the aqueducts logistics.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
we have rivers/streams crossing a diversion channel. both of which are expected to see peak flows at the same time. ya can't use a lock dam or any other dam in such a situation. in the case of the sheyenne in the spring, even shutting down that river for a day or two would back water up to valley city. anyway, in this case, the aqueduct allows the river to flow over the top of the diversion. it will be interesting to see how and how well it works.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
The basic reason one must hydraulically ensure the Maple and Sheyenne goes over the Diversion is because during normal times the Diversion will be dry even as the Maple and Sheyenne will have flow. If you don't build something to carry their flow over the Diversion, the Diversion would intersect the Maple and Sheyenne, thus stealing the water that would go to the parts of them south of the Diversion.

I'll be curious to see how this works during a flood. It's hard to imagine they are going to build the aqueducts as large as they would need to be to handle record flows on the Maple and Sheyenne.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 191
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 146
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88