Arrowhead hunting

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wasnt he picking off the indian burial mound that popped out during low water?

That was a different guy but they worked together I have heard. That was right out of swan creek

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
heard a interesting statement recently. If you pick up a rock and throw it in the water, you are likely the last person to touch that rock for millions of years. I assume the person is referring to a lake with a somewhat stable elevation but still an interesting thought. Years ago had a conversation with a young co-worker, not sure if he was jerking our chain or someone was jerking his... He had spent a weekend in a small SW ND town with his girlfriends father and had brought back a small rock carved like a bear. As the story goes, the FIL & buddy would search the badlands, looking for a box canyon type land structure with a mound in the center and then dig into it, finding a burial mound. Made me go ick, but I have often wondered of the validity... I have an arrowhead, hope I don't get charged for having it... at what point is a lost item considered lost?

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
There were a couple dickheads in news stories as of late that were caught with thousands of artifacts illegally dug up from Native American gravesites. I have no issue with people picking up a rock that's in the shape of an arrowhead when out for a stroll, but if you are digging up graves and selling everything in it (including human bones), I hope you get the full wrath of Uncle Sam.

Grizzly Adams

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mayhaps I am a mush head. If I’m understanding correctly it ISlegal to look on private land. I wouldn’t dig nothing up just looking for surface finds. Just illegal on public land

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don’t get caught is the first thing. I know a guy here who did time for finding arrowhead and selling them. any where along the Missouri it is illegal especially on the reservations

On private land you're ok, just be careful which rocks you touch on CORPS land. I grew up in Mobridge when it was legal. People would come to town and set up water pumps and sifting stations along the best spots. I know one thing. If you're finding pottery and everyday tools, you've found a village and there will be a ton of stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

Everything I have was found BEFORE the law changed..After it changed, it became a cat and mouse game with the CORPS rangers and the avid collectors. The sifting came to half eventually. But the guys that know exactly where the old villages are, and at what elevation they pop out, they usually find a way to walk the shorelines for a nice stroll. The guys that get caught are the guys selling it, and going out constantly. They even go out at night and sneak out to popular spots.

lostinnd

Founding Member
Founding Member
Arrowhead hunting used to be one of me and my dad's favorite past times. Started finding a few along Sak before it was banned but nothing too nice. Moved on to walking plowed fields after a rain and had a ball in some spots. Had some luck along oil field roads and pads where the prairie was torn up. Best areas are high points with a view of the river or creek. Some of our oldest stuff came from lower elevations along rivers/creeks where they probably camped. Gave up for the most part about 15 years ago when no-till became popular. Spear points and arrowheads are cool but we found many scrapers or weird items that are more unique. Lots of heartbreakers out there, you see a tip sticking out of the dirt and pull it out to find it broke in half. Flint bleaches white if it is in the sun for a long time so don't look for just brown shiny specks.

Someday I would like to do some small excavations on family land and sift through and see what a guy can find. There are a few burial sites and other probably religious sites still out there. We never touched those areas, some things have more worth left as is and it is a shame people mess with them to make a few bucks.

Down here in SD/NE where we are now I haven't seen much but they seem to have a lot more topsoil. Although I have heard of people finding mastodon bones etc in some locations so that might be the next target.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
So they would just rather they lay in the dirt?!? That doesn’t make sense why you couldn’t pickup a friggen arrowhead for poop sakes. Commy bastards

Yeah, It seems ridiculous that you can't pick them up. But, there's always those that have to take it to the next level, and start digging, and looking in places that shouldn't be disturbed. I've had some interesting conversations about this topic in the 90's, with guys that like to look and some Natives. (Some Natives like to collect them also) After those discussions I think the states should sell permits or a license to artifact. NO DIGGING of any kind, just surface hunting. You must photograph and report each find, with its gps cooridinates. If any humane remains are found, you must call local LE immediately. Any or all your reported artifacts are subject to be turned in if deemed ceremonial. This is the one I didn't like but the Native guys said this one might be the one that could possibly get something passed. As if any of us drunks were going to draft a bill LOL.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 104
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 47
  • This month: 46