Bad News - Ash Borer

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
I tried a few different zone 4 hardy oaks in my pasture but ran out of time to really take care of them so all they had for help was tree tubes. None of them made it. The black walnuts also struggle with grass competition and lack of care it seems. My tall deciduous trees the soil conservation planted within my tree rows consist of Bur Oak, Hawthorne, and Hackberry and man do i struggle to get them to grow. Everything else seems to need quite a few replacements the first year or two and then kind of level off but those ones are trouble every year for me. I'm thinking i may need to try the nitrogen trick with them.
nitrogen makes a huge difference in my trees, my native pasture soil was very low. Gotta be careful as you can kill them easily also, especially if they are very small still. If they are less than a few feet tall I would probably dissolve urea in water if you have a tank and water them with it, less likely to kill them like that. Also put down N right before a rain, or most of it will evaporate, especially during warmer weather. My more established trees I drive around on my ATV with a 5 gallon bucket between my legs and just throw handfuls near the base of trees, putting less down around smaller trees, larger trees Ill throw a few handful down. Dont fertilize your trees after july first or they might not harden off properly and die the following winter.

I buy my N in bulk from agri fertilizer dealers, last time I bought 1000 lbs it was about $.25/lb.... If your soil is basic you might wanna get ammonium sulfate instead of Urea as it will also bring the PH down a bit, which many plants like. Ammonium sulfate doesnt evaporate like urea so you dont have to be as careful when putting it down.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have 3 Mancana Ash trees and there are many more in my area of town. I have to pour money on the ground (treat with chemical) by them every year for 24 years now to keep them suckers from dying due to an ash bore. Not sure if its the emerald variety or if there is another one. The city cut down the Mancanas in my area a month ago that people neglected and let die. Sometimes I wonder if I should have just let mine die but 20+ years of growth is hard to part with.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Manchurian Ash. Siberian elm. Russian olive.

What’s with our gov’t wanting to plant non-native trees?

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Manchurian Ash. Siberian elm. Russian olive.

What’s with our gov’t wanting to plant non-native trees?

Trying to establish exotic food sources for the next invasive bug?

Personally, I am not a fan of Russian olive trees. Thorny SOBs!

Now, my old Russian pear? Decent tree, but all the fruit end up on the ground 1.6 days after the first is ripe enough to eat.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Trying to establish exotic food sources for the next invasive bug?

Personally, I am not a fan of Russian olive trees. Thorny SOBs!

Now, my old Russian pear? Decent tree, but all the fruit end up on the ground 1.6 days after the first is ripe enough to eat.
Russian olives seem to be the only tree that wouid grow in my grandpa yard nw of grand forks where the soil was spoiled because of high salinity. Even conifer trees wouldn't grow which is strange considering they grow on the northern tar sands in Canada.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 138
  • This month: 100
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 42
  • This month: 42