bastardization of muzzy season

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Modern In-lines have turned the muzzy season into a single shot rifle season which has taken it away from the original intent of a primitive weapon season.

Muzzleloader Season - Muzzleloading long guns of .45 caliber or larger, and handguns .50 caliber or larger, having all components loaded through the muzzle, with flint or percussion ignition, firing black powder or black powder substitutes are legal. Smokeless powders are not legal. Telescopic sights are prohibited. (Exception: No magnification (1x) scopes are legal.)

while 209 primers might fit within the definition of percussion ignition I doubt they were in the original intent for the primitive season.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMHO: Starting in early fall: Bow, mussel loader, 4in bbl handgun--take your pick with the early tag(s): Same buck/doe lottery. Same lottery for rifle with choice of weapon. After rifle--bow only to fill leftover tags.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Modern In-lines have turned the muzzy season into a single shot rifle season which has taken it away from the original intent of a primitive weapon season.

Muzzleloader Season - Muzzleloading long guns of .45 caliber or larger, and handguns .50 caliber or larger, having all components loaded through the muzzle, with flint or percussion ignition, firing black powder or black powder substitutes are legal. Smokeless powders are not legal. Telescopic sights are prohibited. (Exception: No magnification (1x) scopes are legal.)

while 209 primers might fit within the definition of percussion ignition I doubt they were in the original intent for the primitive season.
If your going to complain about using a inline muzzle loader, I would like to know if you want primitive. If so Then put your buckskin and leather boots on. No goretex for you and leave your vehicle at home and walk or ride a horse.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
If your going to complain about using an inline muzzle loader, I would like to know if you want primitive. If so Then put your buckskin and leather boots on. No goretex for you and leave your vehicle at home and walk or ride a horse.
Now hunters would need to do the same. The muzzy season was added to allow for a primitive style of taking deer, which has been hijacked by technology. Get rid of the modern inlines and drawing a muzzy tag will go back to what it was in its inception

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
Now hunters would need to do the same. The muzzy season was added to allow for a primitive style of taking deer, which has been hijacked by technology. Get rid of the modern inlines and drawing a muzzy tag will go back to what it was in its inception
There’s 400 some buck muzzy tags take a pill good god

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
There’s 400 some buck muzzy tags take a pill good god
You have an opinion I have mine and it appears to me you are the one who needs to take a pill. it takes 10 to 15 yrs to draw a muzzy buck tag, before the explosion of inlines in the late 90s and early 2000s one could draw a tag every 4 to 5 yrs

Devildogg

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have been thinking the same thing. The whole season was primitive now it’s not. With the point creep this will soon be a once in a lifetime tag. If I could draw a primitive type muzzleloader tag I’d never apply for a rifle tag again. It’s a shame I may be in my 70’s before I draw another tag. The system that the game and fish is using needs to be updated.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have been thinking the same thing. The whole season was primitive now it’s not. With the point creep this will soon be a once in a lifetime tag. If I could draw a primitive type muzzleloader tag I’d never apply for a rifle tag again. It’s a shame I may be in my 70’s before I draw another tag. The system that the game and fish is using needs to be updated.
Its still MORE primitive, no doubt muzzys range isnt what a centerfire is, or the accuracy... No one is keeping you from going as primitive as you want. Bunch of nazis just trying to force their will and opinion upon others is all this is. Just like archers who cry about people who use crossbows, there is no doubt a crossbow is a bow, its all about who can be the most selfish really.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wouldn't care if we went back to the old sidelock. In 1983 at the state muzzleloader shoot I took first place with my Hawken. Inline isn't new. In the mid 1800s they tried many things and the underhammer was still being reproduced in the 1980s and perhaps you can still get them from Dixie Gun Works. I have a friend with an original 47 caliber inline. Nope not a typo 47 caliber. Sabots were used by the French for many years. Reloading is still slow pouring your powder down the barrel and seating your bullet. Many states have some restrictions from no recharged shell hulls loaded from the breach, to round ball only, to I think it may be Pennsylvania that is flintlock only. I would like a flintlock, but they have sure become expensive.

Attachments

20240628_075051.jpg
Last edited:

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Its still MORE primitive, no doubt muzzys range isnt what a centerfire is, or the accuracy... No one is keeping you from going as primitive as you want. Bunch of nazis just trying to force their will and opinion upon others is all this is. Just like archers who cry about people who use crossbows, there is no doubt a crossbow is a bow, its all about who can be the most selfish really.
but yet a crossbow is illegal to fill a bow tag with because of it's advantages, unless for medical reasons, again you made my case. If the intent was primitive than that is how the tag should be used. Inline's give an advantage to the hunter in accuracy, distance, and reliability over a traditional muzzy.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member

The question then becomes, do you think patched balls, flint/#11's, and open-sights will stop people from trying to take 200+ yd shots?

The ethics go the other way too. Does an in-line with it's more reliable ignition and in most cases enhanced accuracy over patched round balls, make a hunter much more likely to make an ethical clean kill?

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
The question then becomes, do you think patched balls, flint/#11's, and open-sights will stop people from trying to take 200+ yd shots?

The ethics go the other way too. Does an in-line with it's more reliable ignition and in most cases enhanced accuracy over patched round balls, make a hunter much more likely to make an ethical clean kill?
ethical hunters know the limits of their weapon and won't change their ways while unethical hunters will also continue what they are doing and nothing will change that.

what was the original reason the G&F started a separate muzzle loader season ?

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
ethical hunters know the limits of their weapon and won't change their ways while unethical hunters will also continue what they are doing and nothing will change that.

what was the original reason the G&F started a separate muzzle loader season ?
Unless you go back to purely patched round-balls, you can't get away from ML's being a 200yd + weapon with a good aperture sight, some load work-up with conicals, and a bit of practice.

It doesn't matter if it's got a hammer or inline ignition. I haven't looked, but, I bet I can find a pretty pointy hard-cast lead projectile. For a bit of $$ I bet Accuracy Innovations or Woox would make me a very stable stock/chassis. They'd probably even integrate a Vernier tang-sight mount to lengthen my sighting plane and give me way more vertical adjustment.

Move to external hammers only and you can bet it wouldn't take a good machinist long to make an off-set hammer and ignition chamber for a current in-line rifle.

I came up with that in about 3min worth of thinking. Imagine what a smart person with machining skills could do between now and ML season.......

Devildogg

Founding Member
Founding Member
Its still MORE primitive, no doubt muzzys range isnt what a centerfire is, or the accuracy... No one is keeping you from going as primitive as you want. Bunch of nazis just trying to force their will and opinion upon others is all this is. Just like archers who cry about people who use crossbows, there is no doubt a crossbow is a bow, it’s all about who can be the most selfish really.
If the success rates are low there will be more tags available and a person would have the opportunity to hunt. Watch what will happen with the archery season soon. The modern bows and rangefinders are capable of shooting 100yds easily and accurately. When the success rates get high enough the the tags will be cut back and we will lose those opportunities as well. I just want to be able to go hunting in the fall unfortunately I will most likely never have another muzzleloader tag again.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 241
  • This month: 161
  • This month: 147
  • This month: 115
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 70