bastardization of muzzy season

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Unless you go back to purely patched round-balls, you can't get away from ML's being a 200yd + weapon with a good aperture sight, some load work-up with conicals, and a bit of practice.

It doesn't matter if it's got a hammer or inline ignition. I haven't looked, but, I bet I can find a pretty pointy hard-cast lead projectile. For a bit of $$ I bet Accuracy Innovations or Woox would make me a very stable stock/chassis. They'd probably even integrate a Vernier tang-sight mount to lengthen my sighting plane and give me way more vertical adjustment.

Move to external hammers only and you can bet it wouldn't take a good machinist long to make an off-set hammer and ignition chamber for a current in-line rifle.

I came up with that in about 3min worth of thinking. Imagine what a smart person with machining skills could do between now and ML season.......

A handful of states have the very regulation you are talking about and some even have the " not modified" regulation.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Its still MORE primitive, no doubt muzzys range isnt what a centerfire is, or the accuracy... No one is keeping you from going as primitive as you want. Bunch of nazis just trying to force their will and opinion upon others is all this is. Just like archers who cry about people who use crossbows, there is no doubt a crossbow is a bow, its all about who can be the most selfish really.

One can call it selfish if they wish, but the bottom line is the season was originally asked for and approved by the legislature by those who were primarily interested in an opportunity to shoot a deer with at most a cap and ball type of muzzleloader. One didn't see the explosion in ML tag applications until the modern inline rifles came about. So now those who originally put in the effort to even get the ML season approved are being pushed out, age is clearly a factor as well for many, but even I who originally purchased a cap and ball ML some 20+ years ago feel a little deprived of the opportunity to have a set aside primitive weapon season. It's to the point that if I have a doe tag nowadays, I mostly use my ML for the challenge.

Technological advances in ML were hard for people to foresee back in the 60s and 70s. If there was a crystal ball available back then, the language in the law would have most likely been more specific to the tech allowed. Most of the primitive weapons crowd just enjoy the opportunity to challenge their hunting skills, whereas the modern inline hunters are just excited to have a second buck tag. Which is why the ML doe tags are exponentially easier to get than let's say...a WT doe tag in 3B1.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
One can call it selfish if they wish, but the bottom line is the season was originally asked for and approved by the legislature by those who were primarily interested in an opportunity to shoot a deer with at most a cap and ball type of muzzleloader. One didn't see the explosion in ML tag applications until the modern inline rifles came about. So now those who originally put in the effort to even get the ML season approved are being pushed out, age is clearly a factor as well for many, but even I who originally purchased a cap and ball ML some 20+ years ago feel a little deprived of the opportunity to have a set aside primitive weapon season. It's to the point that if I have a doe tag nowadays, I mostly use my ML for the challenge.

Technological advances in ML were hard for people to foresee back in the 60s and 70s. If there was a crystal ball available back then, the language in the law would have most likely been more specific to the tech allowed. Most of the primitive weapons crowd just enjoy the opportunity to challenge their hunting skills, whereas the modern inline hunters are just excited to have a second buck tag. Which is why the ML doe tags are exponentially easier to get than let's say...a WT doe tag in 3B1.
I understand that, I guess those who want truly primitive need to lobby for it and see if the can get the regulations changed. It will be hard to do at this point because the MAJORITY of ML hunters have modern ML's Id assume.

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
Muzzleloaders have evolved and so have bows. I gave up on a muzzy tag years ago and I also don't bow hunt any more. I don't have a need for that much meat since my whole family hunts. I know people who are pretty accurate with a bow at 100 yards or more.

Longtine

Founding Member
Founding Member
No joke. I truly still use whale oil.....patch and ball.....black powder......and still have 13 preference points.

How many others are still traditional?

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
No joke. I truly still use whale oil.....patch and ball.....black powder......and still have 13 preference points.

How many others are still traditional?
Where the hell do you get whale oil?!! Saw a vid on YT about self prostate examination.

lindy1420

Here's the problem. People are worried about getting tags. Hunting is providing food for your family. You can be damned if someone is going to tell me i have to have a tag to provide food for my family. If we need food we go get it. I dont care if its july i will fill my freezer and the g&f has not and will not get a cent from me.

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
If the success rates are low there will be more tags available and a person would have the opportunity to hunt. Watch what will happen with the archery season soon. The modern bows and rangefinders are capable of shooting 100yds easily and accurately. When the success rates get high enough the the tags will be cut back and we will lose those opportunities as well. I just want to be able to go hunting in the fall unfortunately I will most likely never have another muzzleloader tag again.
This is correct. I’d say we are headed towards a 1 tag system or a draw for archery tags in the future

Bacon

Founding Member
Founding Member
They have definitely bastardized the original intent of the muzzle loader season. When the season first opened it was easy to get a tag. No one wanted to mess with those stinky unreliable smoke poles. If they went back to primitive only I believe it would open things up for more available tags. As far as ethics, that goes for every season. I’ve watched people not be able to make a 100 yd running away shot in a deer. And that’s with modern firearms. Not enough proficiency with any firearms. They plain just can’t shoot. The primitive guys would not be trying 200 yard shots cause the equipment wouldn’t do it. It’s a commitment to shoot primitive muzzleloader. Anyone can buy an inline.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 242
  • This month: 161
  • This month: 147
  • This month: 115
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 70