Beautiful fall afternoon

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
In finding all these images I realized there's much hybridization. A green sunfish has a mouth similar to a crappie.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
In finding all these images I realized there's much hybridization. A green sunfish has a mouth similar to a crappie.
Crappies taste awesome!! One thing to remember with crappies tho is that they have weak lips. A person cannot or should not set the hook too hard as it will rip the hook out of their mouth/lip.

snow2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Crappies taste awesome!! One thing to remember with crappies tho is that they have weak lips. A person cannot or should not set the hook too hard as it will rip the hook out of their mouth/lip.
Agreed,crappie mouth referred to "paper mouth",two crappie species white and black crappie,mpo
, black crappie are best table fare,white crappie fillet tend to be mushy both are a blast to catch when they're on a feeding frenzy.

Last edited:

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
LM are good eating from a clean water source.

Had access to a cat pond in AL. It summer killed and filled with thumb sized shellcrackers or the like. Had access to another private lake which retained water or flooded a pasture: Caught a dozen bass from the lake and stocked them in the cat pond.

One bass didn't make the trip.

The cat pond old man loved his fish from his "bank"; he fed them like livestock: His wife fried the dead(ish) LM and his eyes lit up like a Christmas tree. He was my opposite: Didn't like to fish and loved eating them.

Sadly; I wasn't able to return for three years: The pond wasn't able to manage itself...and both had passed on: When I got back; it was filled with stunted bass and 4in bream. The boy & I thought we were in for a big deal.

The boy probably caught the "monster" of the pond--17in/3lbs: If I could go back in time; I'd only stock 4.

BTW: ^^^^This is the pond where I learned cats will hit topwater. Frogs would jump back in the pasture instead of in the water: NO shit:

1728701912998.png

That is all.

Last edited:

snow2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
They’re my favorite panfish.
An electric knife is a must IMO.
Dry coated, deep fried.
The way the little “belly flap” of the filet crisps up is magical.
Magical afternoon yesterday on "lake dillon" in summit county Colorado,no panfish here dangit but "kokanee " salmon are on fall spawning run

Attachments

1000000662.jpg
Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 201
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 61
  • This month: 43