Beef Short Ribs

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
I want to make some on my smoker, rub suggestions, cooking times, temps, do's and don'ts will be apprecitated.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
I tried a couple this year and I went about 4-5hrs at around 200-225 and the second time I put them in the crockpot to finish for about 3-4hrs I believe, liquid was a little beef stock and water.
Rub was something like salt, pepper, garlic powder onion powder, a little anchor chili powder

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here is what I do they seem to turn out pretty tasty to my taste buds.
- Rub down with rub I use salt pepper garlic powder or just google beef rub recipe and use one that looks good to you.
- Smoke 4-5 hours 225ish
- Put liquid(beef stock, beer, apple juice, whiskey and water, etc) in pan then put ribs in pan and cover tightly with foil cook for 3ish hours
- Take ribs out of pan and put back on racks and cook for another hour or so can turn heat up to here too and put bbq sauce on them now if you are going to sauce.

Watch how long you leave them in liquid as they can get fall apart tender if its to long, which is fine by me but sometimes I like to have the big bone of a beef rib.

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know the cooking shows always go gaga over short ribs but I’ve never been able to cook them and not have them taste just like a pot roast. Never found what the hype is all about. Always willing to learn.....what’s the mystique?

- - - Updated - - -

Get yourself a sous vide. Can't recommend enough. The things like a magic wand.

Like a Hitachi Magic Wand? Haha.

I see the sous vide machine on Amazon, I really want one. How much different is it really if you can make an awesome 125 steak?

Last edited:

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I

I see the sous vide machine on Amazon, I really want one. How much different is it really if you can make an awesome 125 steak?

You are talking the difference between a Coleman and a yeti at least, If not more.

- - - Updated - - -

:;::::#$%^&>Thumbs Up:):;:duel;:;popcorn

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
Get yourself a sous vide. Can't recommend enough. The things like a magic wand.

Sous vide interests me, but how does a guy get delicious smoke flavor on the meat, and can a guy get a bark that you get with smoked meats?

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sous vide is way off my radar at this point. Put them ribs on at 8am, rubbed with pepper, garlic, salt and chili powder. Put them in a pan after 5+ hours with soup beef soup broth, beer, garlic powder & chili powder. Added a rack of pork ribs about that time too, rubbed with Weber pork rub. Using apple wood, at 225°F.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
I let them smoke for 5 hours, then panned for 3 hours, then back on the rack for an hour with bbq sauce. Tasted great, were falling off bone trying to get them back on rack. Visually not so hot unless pitch black is your thing.

Glass

★★★ Legendary Member
I rub mine with olive oil and honey. Then I use a rub on them. I have found most of the mixed ones you buy at the store are good. Smoke with apple, cherry, and hickory at 150 for about 5 hours, then turn the heat up to 200 for about 1 or 2 more ours. I like them just like that, but some prefer to dip in sauce.

Never have liked ribs boiled or in a pot all day.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Didn't smoke mine over the weekend but braised them and slow cooked in beef broth,and lots of veggies,added barley and man what a great stew,better than pot roast and great flavor.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think I need to revamp my gas system, lot of soot on the water pan, that probably aint good for the vittles

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
75407_2000x2000.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Like the air adjustment where the hose goes into the burner on this cooker

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 112
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 61