Bicep tear

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I'll be 69 this spring and don't know how i'm supposed to feel. Said I'll be 69, not want to do 69. Well i do, but that requires 2 who want to do that so I'll stick with age of 69. Don't need any repairs at this time but do think if I needed anything it would be on the side of fix me so I can continue with what I like to do. I want to swing a golf club, handle a fishing rod, shoot a gun. All the stuff I've been doing for many years. Hunted in the badlands this fall and con still haul a pack out, maybe not as heave as I once could but still could do my share. Have no idea when some of those things will end but not ready toque yet. Right now I'm a believer in modern medicine and fix what can be fixed.

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am 70 and just had my hip replaced about 6 weeks ago. Feel great, now I wish I would of had it done 5 years ago instead of putting up with the pain.

I'm 7 years younger than you with two bad knees, a bad hip and two rotator cuffs that are shot. So what you are saying is get on with it; replacements?? now??

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Risto darn right do it now. I put it off to long. I went in for rotator cuff and had to stop taking my anti inflammatory. By the time I had my surgery they had to get a wheel chair to get me around the hospital. After I could take my celebrex again, but then they discovered a blood clot behind the left knee so they put me on Xeralto for at least six months. You can't take anti inflammatories with Xeralto. I ended up in the hospital for five days over Christmas on intravenous dilaudid and prednisone. I may have to be on prednisone for six months before I can get my knees fixed. If I forget to take it I can't make it up the stairs out of the family room even with Oxycodone. I'm laying around this winter with my feet and legs up watching utube gunsmithing videos. Don't put it off.

Last edited:

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Risto, They are going to tell you to make sure your dental work is done first. Seems if you have any infection in your mouth it will migrate to you surgery area. My hip surgery was real easy. Was done at a surgery clinic, had me up and walking an hour after. Stayed at a motel over night and back to clinic the next day with meetings with a phy-thearpist along the way. Went home the day after surgery. Un fricking real. Did the phy-therapy the way I was told and now have no pain, get up and down stairs no problem. Walk with a little limp but that is just from habit because if I stop and think about it, it goes away. Cant wait for fishing and hunting this year cause I will be able to. Get shit done in the garden with out crawling around on my hands and knee's is going to be wonderful, cant wait. My advice with todays medicine get it done and enjoy life while you can!!!!!!!!!!!! LB

LOV2HNT

Founding Member
Founding Member
What does one do to tear a bicep? Just curious. Sounds horrible.

In my case I was trying to get a strap under a 100# nitrogen tank that was laying in the box of my truck and as I lifted the base of the tank is when it tore. The tendon gets frayed over time from years of lifting or other strenuous activities. I haven't lifted heavy for years now, but I'm guessing the years that I did didn't help things here.

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
In my case I was trying to get a strap under a 100# nitrogen tank that was laying in the box of my truck and as I lifted the base of the tank is when it tore. The tendon gets frayed over time from years of lifting or other strenuous activities. I haven't lifted heavy for years now, but I'm guessing the years that I did didn't help things here.

Im done looking at this thread now. Bye!

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've had a couple bicep days where I spend the rest of the week walking like a T-rex and crying every time i have to wipe my ass. That shit ends now!

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had a patient that was a body builder. When he tore his, he said it sounded like someone was pulling apart heavy duty velcro.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
What does one do to tear a bicep? Just curious. Sounds horrible.

fap.jpg

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I'm 70 and just had rotator cuff done six weeks ago. It's going good. Now I have to heel fast enough to get both knees replaced before summer. One doctor told me at my age it would take to big of a bite out of the remainder of my life. I found another doctor.

PG...what were your symptoms with the rotator cuff? Think I partially tore mine over the summer but not sure. Haven't gone to the doc yet...playing the stubborn old guy routine right now. Certain movements hurt while others do not. I can still lift my flip over into the back of the truck but can barely lift a 12 pack over my head! Thanks...

Last edited:

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I knew something was wrong with my shoulder as it continue to hurt. When it happen not sure but I think it was when I was rotary some mud at my food plot and would lift to turn and with the mud on it was heavy. So symptoms, it just hurt all the time. Not a bad hurt. Went on for about 4-5 months.

So went to the chiropractor who said he would fix it, even took x-rays.
After a few weeks of that I told him there has to be something else wrong. Told me no give it time, I said no. I went to the clinic and they said it was torn.
First old doctor at Grand Forks said no to fixing as I would not last the surgery at my age. I told him your nuts. He said okay but would open a bunch of skin up to get in. That did not sound good. When to bone and joint clinic and he said hell yes to fix and did with cameras and only a couple of small cuts in shoulder. Give me pictures of string and tendons, muscle all tie together.

Some pain but only took one pain pill. Important to do the workouts after the surgery. Friend did not and can not lift his arm up very high. Mine is just like brand new but I was scare to use my bow so got a cross bow permit and shot my first deer this year with it.
yea I know it is not the same but maybe if I did more exercise I would feel comfortable with the Mathews again. db

Last edited:

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm 50 some....so far all parts are functioning reasonably well. To you guys with worn out parts, did that happen because of general use, abuse, bad genetics or what?

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
fix it. my bro in law torn his this summer. surgery and a few months of wiping his ass with the other hand and he is back to normal except its still a bit week.

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm 50 some....so far all parts are functioning reasonably well. To you guys with worn out parts, did that happen because of general use, abuse, bad genetics or what?

All part of the job; repetitive motion. letter carrier USPS. Rotators are shot from sorting mail, first one rotator then started using the weak hand/arm. that one went too. First mail route was 11 miles walking daily. The guy on that route prior to me stayed on that route because he liked his customers. After he retired he went through two hip replacements and died not too long after. I got off that route as soon as i could in favor of walking only 8 miles a day. So for me it's all repetitive motion and wear and tear.

My rotators really scream at me when i lift something with full arm extension and palm up.. Doesn't have to be something that heavy. Just have to learn not to lift that way i guess. Lifted a half full of water, bucket of minnows the other day out of the back of my 3/4 ton box. yowzer!!! No daily pain with the rotators but when there is pain, nothing i have in the med cabinet knocks it out. Knees do ok as long as I don't twist them. Not so good ice fishing this winter. So yea! should get those done. Hopped off the buddies boat this fall onto the dock and damn near didn't make it. getting old!!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 3
  • This month: 2
  • This month: 1