Big Muddy Tournament Date

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
SDMF Have you fished the Big Muddy? here’s a few positives about the Big Muddy.
1. The Big muddy uses a private ramp. No worries about plugging up the local ramps.
2. The bait and gas stations do very well for a couple weeks maybe more.
3. Less boats on the river that Saturday mainly due to 3 person teams. 300 anglers fishing out of 100 boats.
4. The relationships and even great friendships built over 15+ years of fishing this tourney is priceless.
5. Dakota Tackle and Scheel’s I’m sure do pretty good.

Hopefully this will answer some of your questions and negative thoughts on tournament fishing. Hopefully you can enjoy fishing the same as most anglers. Stay positive it makes fishing fun.

1. I don't fish tournaments (except for 1 campground tournament my buddies kid begged me to fish).

2.& 3. You can't have it both ways. Do you have a bunch of boats patronizing bait and gas stations, or are you taking 200 boats away from them?

4. I've never had to buy my friends nor pay to hang out with them.

5. Would DT and Scheels sell any less minus the tournament?

I don't need to fish any tournaments to know that all tournaments are chock-full of entitlement-minded, self-important, damn-the torpedos asswipes. Folks that are probably decent enough people on non-tournament/non-pre-fishing days, that lose their god-damned mind if there's so much as a rusty old Eagle Claw hook up for grabs.

- - - Updated - - -

SDMF I think you are way off base and arguing to argue!!! The muddy is NOT the chamber or the cup. The majority of the people that fish it are local or live near Bismarck and would be fishing here anyway, only on this day 3 guys in one boat instead of 3 seperate boats!!!

Roosterfish, I think you vastly underestimate how despised tournament fisher-people are to the rest of the folks on, in, or near the water.

When there were maybe 1-2 tournaments on Sak and DL for the summer, it was no big deal. Now there are tournaments, sometimes multiple tournaments every god-damned weekend of June, July, and half of August. Enough already!!!!!

Last edited:

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Your last paragraph is the winning ticket.

pitchnjigs

Founding Member
Founding Member
SDMF you asked for the positives and I gave my perspective. I feel sorry for any person that has to sit in your boat all day. A day with you would guarantee to be an epic disaster.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
SDMF you asked for the positives and I gave my perspective. I feel sorry for any person that has to sit in your boat all day. A day with you would guarantee to be an epic disaster.

PJ, it's very telling that you go straight to personal attacks when someone disagrees. It's what I've come to expect from folks so insecure they can't just have fun. Fun isn't enough, you have to have a way to "prove" something.

The only folks who don't enjoy fishing with me are the folks who show up dead set on running slip bobbers.

Last edited:

roosterfish

★★★ Legendary Member
SDMF Curious to hear your take on guides??? And don't Switzerland your answer.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
U get up early. Wind is light sun shining u decide today I am going to take of from campground and go to mauvee u set the throttle for a nice leisurly pace around 40mph. No bumbs lake has a few people on it but not bad. U start coming up on Graham's and low and behold about hunred fittty boats in the water.

Another sip of coffee and u make your way up to mauv. You pick a nice spot. Couple nibbles and a nice 22 incher she pulls in. You know it's just a matter of time. You look to the South and you see an army of boats and the spray of water.

The dudes fishing the bridge know the drill 75 boats at least go under that bridge. Then just as they come in wife unfortunately hooks a 25 incher sure as shit one pulls right next to us and starts throwing a jig in rap. Boat now is bobbing from all the waves from the tourney boys. #$%^&>

- - - Updated - - -

My kid looks at me and says dad where did they put the kennels

- - - Updated - - -

Proudest fishing tournament moment. The backhoe that tore into highway 281 at night

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
Jesus boys there’s bad groups on both sides. I haven’t fished a derby in quite awhile but for all you that keep saying all tourney guys are asses and all weekenders saints here’s one for you:

Dad and I are fishing the governor’s cup. Had a rough day one but stayed within striking distance if day 2 was one of those days that both tourney fisherman and weekenders dream about that keeps us all on the water. We fished it because we loved the competition and enjoyed what that brought about for him and I. Day two starts and the weather was less than desirable. Pull up on a south side point with the wind howling up on it and doing everything we can to stay on the area. All alone and the first 2 fish come quick and are the type of fish that bring excitement to any boat and can be the beginning of a turning of the tide. Minutes later here comes a pontoon with a group of people. Watches us for a few minutes and as a third fish comes over the side and the wind blows us off the spot the angel of a weekender sticks it to us dirty tourney guys by sliding in dumping two drift socks and an anchor pushing us completely out. Rally over. Rather than cause a scene or stoop to their level we pick up and move on. Ended up cashing a check near the bottom of the payline but not what we thought may have been possible. We stopped fishing tourneys sometime after that not because we became to good and just couldn’t bring ourselves to stoop to fishing a tourney but because we both tired of fishing on days where the weather was awful just because we “had” to. We stopped because things changed with how the parks ran the camping rules. There were a few other reasons that I can’t all recall now but I think back on all those days with Dad on the water fondly, both prefishing and derby days. They bring memories I will look fondly on for as long as I have them.I guess the moral of the story is you guys that are bitching and complaining sound like the group of guys you’re whining about. Judging others and thinking you’ve got the high road. We’re all in the same camp of outdoorsman and women. Get outside and enjoy the time you get when you get it.
Tight lines everyone.

Last edited:

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’ve had way way more bad experiences with “weekenders” than I ever had with the hated “tourney” fisherman.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Proudest fishing tournament moment. The backhoe that tore into highway 281 at night

That most assuredly encapsulates "Tournament-Mindset". There'd be a LOT more of those shenanigans if they could figure out how to pull the boat behind the mini-Excavator trailer without being so obvious and without alerting their fellow tournament anglers whom to follow.

- - - Updated - - -

I’ve had way way more bad experiences with “weekenders” than I ever had with the hated “tourney” fisherman.

What you likely experienced was tournament fisher-people pre-fishing, just didn't realize it without a number on their boat.

eliminator

Honored Member
I am not a big tournament fisherman but I do fish a couple of them and here are the reasons why: First I fish the Governor's cup because I get to spend two days in a boat with one of my daughters. There is nothing I would rather do. I feel blessed that they want to spend those days all alone with me. With everyones busy lifestyle it is a breath of fresh air. No we don't necessarily finish on top but as long as it is fun, we plan on keeping on doing it. When we are no longer having fun, then it will be time to quit.

I also fish the Trout and Salmon clubs one day salmon tourney on the lake. This is just a fun relaxing day of fishing with friends. It is geared to families and kids and is a great family outing day. If you fish this one for the money, you are in the wrong tournament.

Sometimes it is not all about the money but the enjoyment of spending times with family and friends. I do not like the bad weather days but we can't pick the weather in anything we do so we make the best of it.

I also agree there are very rude people on both sides of the equation altho I also believe there are more good people than the rude ones. There are always a small percentage of people that give the others a bad name no matter what you seem to do.

No matter which side of this issue you are on, enjoy yourselves and let others enjoy what they like also.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think we should start a new thread and have a poll. We , the Nodakangler boys, should then decide the fate of the Big Muddy.

Side note about tournaments I used to hate them too still do really. I've been fishing one tournament in my hometown for the past few years. It's allowed me to hook up with two old friends one weekend that normally we never do. If not for the tournament we would never have that weekend together. We've had some pretty good times during it and the weather has been crappy button June, its never that bad.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I will say one thing though -- it will be a tough tough year for the big tourney boys. Its going to be a tough year or years for all the workers that manufacturer the boats and motors. I remember the last time i purchased - right after the crumble and i think they said they sold 3 boats all summer. Deals will be had -- but the problem with that is the next set to come out will be XXX higher priced as they move to the model of lets sell 1 at XXXXX vs 10 at XX. It already had trended that way - its just going to get worse.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
Today's Minot Daily News:

https://www.minotdailynews.com/life...-and-fish-revokes-fishing-tournament-permits/

[h=1]Game and Fish revokes fishing tournament permits[/h]
The North Dakota Game and Fish Department has revoked all fishing tournaments for April and May due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.
Tournament sponsors were notified of possible rescheduling options if conditions, including public safety and open calendar days, present itself.
In addition, organizers of other permitted North Dakota fishing tournaments scheduled June through October are advised of the possibility of having their permit revoked if the COVID-19 conditions persist.

Bauer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Today's Minot Daily News:

https://www.minotdailynews.com/life...-and-fish-revokes-fishing-tournament-permits/

Game and Fish revokes fishing tournament permits

The North Dakota Game and Fish Department has revoked all fishing tournaments for April and May due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.
Tournament sponsors were notified of possible rescheduling options if conditions, including public safety and open calendar days, present itself.
In addition, organizers of other permitted North Dakota fishing tournaments scheduled June through October are advised of the possibility of having their permit revoked if the COVID-19 conditions persist.

SO, now SDMF will get to find out on his weekend "non-tournament" fishing days that it really wasn't the "not numbered" tournament boats that created his hatred after all.....

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
That most assuredly encapsulates "Tournament-Mindset". There'd be a LOT more of those shenanigans if they could figure out how to pull the boat behind the mini-Excavator trailer without being so obvious and without alerting their fellow tournament anglers whom to follow.

- - - Updated - - -

What you likely experienced was tournament fisher-people pre-fishing, just didn't realize it without a number on their boat.

It's not worth it. Even if he may partially agree with anything said his extreme arrogance and mastery of all subjects will not allow him to acknowledge it. All tourney guys are arrogant suckholes that are nothing but a drain for all recreational fisherman. We must just accept this as fact.

Last edited:

roosterfish

★★★ Legendary Member
SDMF maybe you should change species and be carp or catfish fisherman? You would not have to deal with traffic of boats in said fish spots. Not knocking those particular fish just saying!! The Fact of the matter is there just is a lot more people that fish now versus the 80's and 90's and with electronics the way they are almost anyone can enjoy fishing.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
SO, now SDMF will get to find out on his weekend "non-tournament" fishing days that it really wasn't the "not numbered" tournament boats that created his hatred after all.....

Not having to deal with the tournament bullshit I'm sure I'll use Grahams Island ramps/fish the W end of Devils more often this upcoming summer.

- - - Updated - - -

It's not worth it. Even if he may partially agree with anything said his extreme arrogance and mastery of all subjects will not allow him to acknowledge it. All tourney guys are arrogant suckholes that are nothing but a drain for all recreational fisherman. We must just accept this as fact.

Back up, earlier in this thread I said most of them are probably great people, until it's pre-fish or tourney days, then they lose their fuggin' mind.

- - - Updated - - -

SDMF maybe you should change species and be carp or catfish fisherman? You would not have to deal with traffic of boats in said fish spots. Not knocking those particular fish just saying!! The Fact of the matter is there just is a lot more people that fish now versus the 80's and 90's and with electronics the way they are almost anyone can enjoy fishing.

Maybe ND G&F should only allow tournaments for non-gamefish. I mean if you're such stewards of the resource and love the competition it shouldn't matter what your target species is. It'd be a win/win for fishing in general.

You could have "SkipJack Days" in Garrison and New Town, or your very own whole SkipJack circuit for the Mo river system.

You could start the Missouri River Carp Club with your own regional sub-groups like the "Back Bay Bandits" on Sak or Oahe and the "Current Crushers" from the dam to Bismarck.

You could keep those Carp tourneys interesting by telling folks they're gonna win a Ball of Dough. Sometimes it could be cash, and other times it could be dough-type carp bait.

Then of course the Summer Pinnacle Roughfish Trail Championships on Ashtabeulah. "The Brindle Bash".

That's off the top of my head. Gimme a bit to think and I'll come up with some more stuff so fucking dumb a tourney-fisher would dig it.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 100
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 46
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 33