What's new
Forums
Members
Resources
Whopper Club
Politics
Pics
Videos
Fishing Reports
Classifieds
Log in
Register
What's new
Search
Members
Resources
Whopper Club
Politics
Menu
Log in
Register
Install the app
Install
Forums
Other
Sports
Bis to lose boat ramp
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="BrockW" data-source="post: 413625" data-attributes="member: 5910"><p>Oh I think it would be far more than “equal” to keelboat, at least in terms of access. More so in the summer than spring fishing. I absolutely agree that it would serve public benefit. 100% with you on that. But look at the pushback and criticism that a comparatively simple boat ramp expansion is getting from anglers who would actually benefit from it.</p><p></p><p>So, part of my opinion is just based on the sentiment you see on this forum, but no doubt that similar fiscal rhetoric manifests itself in other areas of the public as well. I share some of those concerns myself.</p><p></p><p>I could be wrong, maybe Bismarck residents and decision makers will jump at the opportunity to drop 15-20 million, maybe more, on a public marina. Not to mention all of the maintenance and costs associated with it, including an unknown, but perhaps annual cost of significant dredging to make the marina accessible and useable? Certainly, that is possible. But, I don’t think the city or county governments have the stomach to try and pay for that with the current conversations around spending. Again, maybe I’m wrong. So like I said, I think it’s likely this idea gets revisited (or basically forgotten) in 10ish years. </p><p></p><p>Another thing to consider, since there is no existing infrastructure there, the permitting process would likely be difficult. At least with keelboat, fox island, Kniefel, there is existing infrastructure. Which makes permitting a heck of a lot easier. Mandan had to pull some strings and jump through some hoops for the new Mandan ramp to make approval a reality. Likely a very different conversation if they were shooting for an all out Marina. I could see a multi year permitting process for that. Again, maybe I’m wrong.</p><p></p><p>Yes, they’re all expensive, but not apples to apples. My understanding is that the hotel project, if approved or supported, was going to look for a private investor. Not to say that they wouldn’t have had their handout looking for some type of public money too, investors are always wanting incentive to come build a project like that in some shape or form. But my understanding was the bulk of that was going to be paid for by private funds. I mean, I would assume we would be talking 50 million, maybe more? That’s just a wild guess. But a boat load of money for a “boutique” (aka fancy) hotel. I doubt Bismarck residents would’ve wanted to fork over money for that given other variables of much higher need throughout the rest of the city. Needs that one could probably argue would drive much better resident satisfaction and economic value than a boutique hotel on the river.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="BrockW, post: 413625, member: 5910"] Oh I think it would be far more than “equal” to keelboat, at least in terms of access. More so in the summer than spring fishing. I absolutely agree that it would serve public benefit. 100% with you on that. But look at the pushback and criticism that a comparatively simple boat ramp expansion is getting from anglers who would actually benefit from it. So, part of my opinion is just based on the sentiment you see on this forum, but no doubt that similar fiscal rhetoric manifests itself in other areas of the public as well. I share some of those concerns myself. I could be wrong, maybe Bismarck residents and decision makers will jump at the opportunity to drop 15-20 million, maybe more, on a public marina. Not to mention all of the maintenance and costs associated with it, including an unknown, but perhaps annual cost of significant dredging to make the marina accessible and useable? Certainly, that is possible. But, I don’t think the city or county governments have the stomach to try and pay for that with the current conversations around spending. Again, maybe I’m wrong. So like I said, I think it’s likely this idea gets revisited (or basically forgotten) in 10ish years. Another thing to consider, since there is no existing infrastructure there, the permitting process would likely be difficult. At least with keelboat, fox island, Kniefel, there is existing infrastructure. Which makes permitting a heck of a lot easier. Mandan had to pull some strings and jump through some hoops for the new Mandan ramp to make approval a reality. Likely a very different conversation if they were shooting for an all out Marina. I could see a multi year permitting process for that. Again, maybe I’m wrong. Yes, they’re all expensive, but not apples to apples. My understanding is that the hotel project, if approved or supported, was going to look for a private investor. Not to say that they wouldn’t have had their handout looking for some type of public money too, investors are always wanting incentive to come build a project like that in some shape or form. But my understanding was the bulk of that was going to be paid for by private funds. I mean, I would assume we would be talking 50 million, maybe more? That’s just a wild guess. But a boat load of money for a “boutique” (aka fancy) hotel. I doubt Bismarck residents would’ve wanted to fork over money for that given other variables of much higher need throughout the rest of the city. Needs that one could probably argue would drive much better resident satisfaction and economic value than a boutique hotel on the river. [/QUOTE]
Verification
What is the most common fish caught on this site?
Post reply
Recent Posts
What are you listening to these days?
Latest: svnmag
Today at 12:26 AM
Gasoline pump prices
Latest: Davy Crockett
Yesterday at 9:11 PM
Scheels Bismarck
Latest: Obi-Wan
Yesterday at 8:36 PM
DUI Attorney
Latest: Obi-Wan
Yesterday at 8:31 PM
J
Mandan Data center pushback
Latest: jer79
Yesterday at 8:29 PM
ESOX
Latest: SDMF
Yesterday at 8:24 PM
NFL News (Vikings)
Latest: eyexer
Yesterday at 6:31 PM
SOLD
2007 Ford Taurus
Latest: Zogman
Yesterday at 5:03 PM
K-Drill Blade Sharpening Gone
Latest: Slappy
Tuesday at 12:02 PM
RAIN!!!!
Latest: KDM
Tuesday at 9:29 AM
Tailrace
Latest: MSA
Tuesday at 8:22 AM
L
Jap Beatles
Latest: LBrandt
Monday at 1:40 PM
N
Soybeans
Latest: ndlongshot
Monday at 1:35 PM
Guys with a Yeti....
Latest: johnr
Monday at 10:30 AM
Left Hand Remington Stocks
Latest: SupressYourself
Monday at 8:41 AM
Banks Stump Feeder
Latest: Shockwave
Saturday at 11:24 PM
FLOCK Cameras...Thoughts
Latest: Jiffy
Saturday at 9:51 PM
L
EHD is back..AGAIN!
Latest: LBrandt
Friday at 6:03 PM
D
Any youth hunter stories?
Latest: dsharp83
Friday at 12:20 PM
Sale
6.5 Creed Barrel - Savage
Latest: SupressYourself
Friday at 8:39 AM
Sale
4 Youth Model rifles
Latest: Lycanthrope
Sep 24, 2026
Friends of NDA
Forums
Other
Sports
Bis to lose boat ramp
Top
Bottom