Bis to lose boat ramp

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
With more boats on the river than ever before the city wants to help minimize congestion at the ramps by removing one of the two public ramps in the city. ( Sibley is rarely usable )

There will be a series of community sessions concerning the Riverfront Festival Ground coming up next week.

They will take place next Wednesday, March 13th at Bismarck Gateway to Science, at the North Dakota State Heritage Center on Thursday, March 14th from 5:30-7:30 pm, and Monday, March 18th from 11 am to 1 pm at the Huckleberry House.

all fishermen need to attend and voice their opinion ( not that they will listen ) but it needs to be said

Read More: New Bismarck Riverfront Area Could Eliminate A Boat Ramp | https://us1033.com/new-bismarck-riv...-ramp/?utm_source=tsmclip&utm_medium=referral

all fishermen need to attend and voice their opinion ( not that they will listen ) but it needs to be said

https://us1033.com/new-bismarck-riverfront-area-could-eliminate-a-boat-ramp/

https://www.bismarckriverfront.com/festivalgrounds

https://www.kfyrtv.com/2023/03/02/potential-riverfront-development-projects-bismarck-presented/

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Why do you think they wanted to build a ramp just across the river in mandan. I posted this months ago in the thread about .andans new ramp. All were excited mandan was getting a ramp just a distraction from the big picture

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
This whole project smells fishy and for personal gain somewhere.

Especially them saying "oh well" to losing that ramp. At a minimum they should be required to replace it elsewhere.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
You're giving bismarck and mandan too much credit by saying they conspired together to move the ramp.
They can do what they want with this project; they're going to anyway. A simple poll would have helped them avoid the bs surrounding the whole pet project. Keeping the ramp or adding one in the area is the only compromise I'm willing to accept. Marina bay ramp pass is starting to make a lot of sense.

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
This needs to be shut down. There were 25 trailers there today when I left early afternoon.

Get the word out to the Fox Island homeowners because it will get much worse down there if Meriwether ramp is demolished.

The project website says the boat ramp needs to be "relocated". Well then build the new ramp with ample parking then we can limit the discussion to the ridiculous public spending already contributed to this project intended to enrich private developers.

Wally World

★★ Legendary Member
WOW, this is the best ramp in or near Bismarck as far as river current and location. The boaters and fisherman need to attend this and loudly voice their opinions. If these greedy developers want this land that bad they need to replace this ramp with 2 more near Bismarck on the BISMARCK side. Screw their ramp in Mandan. Why don't they eliminate about 20 fricken baseball fields or several fricken Ice arenas?

Pheasant 54

★★★ Legendary Member
Tons of novice boaters use it also , because of the lessened current , WTH is wrong with this even being discussed . No doubt someones palms are getting greased . You know if they say it will be replaced it will be a shitty location

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep, by far the best ramp in the area outside of the marinas for the average person to put in their watercraft.

Given the problems at both McLean Bottoms and the Desert ramps, it only makes sense to remove one that is fully functional and serves the recreational crowd in town.

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone else think the renderings don’t add up? Unless they dig out the hillside or “create” more land in the channel, how does this all fit?

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Anyone else think the renderings don’t add up? Unless they dig out the hillside or “create” more land in the channel, how does this all fit?

The math is simple.

-1 boat ramp
<100 year flood elevation
+1 landslide prone slope

They can't even keep river road open and free of landslides. That ice jam and water was damn close to unseating the stowed river boat. Let's spend more money in the flood plain at the toe of a failing slope with no room for roadway expansion!

walleyewanker

Let's look at the basics here...when has the city government made a good decision? The whole place needs a cleansing with new blood in there. Civic center, downtown bismarck, governor's mansion, property taxes, water prices....

Wirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
This needs to be shut down. There were 25 trailers there today when I left early afternoon.

Get the word out to the Fox Island homeowners because it will get much worse down there if Meriwether ramp is demolished.

The project website says the boat ramp needs to be "relocated". Well then build the new ramp with ample parking then we can limit the discussion to the ridiculous public spending already contributed to this project intended to enrich private developers.
A Fox Island homeowner that is not currently in ND. I have visited with one Bismarck City council member and emailed the rest. I believe there may be room for compromise IF enough folks contact commissioners and / or attend the meetings. I believe that the only way to have them consider keeping the ramp open is to get involved now! Spend a lot of time on the river as do many of you. Closing this ramp will most certainly put more pressure on Fox than it can accommodate. send emails TODAY & attend the meetings and make your voices heard. I believe that 2 commissioners can be persuaded to consider keeping the ramp and if enough concern is expressed I believe a third may agree.

Last edited:

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Outside opinion. The new one (s) need to be built before tearing out the existing one. As proof that you will get a replacement.
This sounds like the logical, common sense approach. So probably not an option.

I‘ll have to try to make it to a meeting.

gillraker

Has ND Game & Fish Department made their opinion on this matter heard? They for a fact know this area cannot afford to lose any ramps. Infact the way I see it, the Bis/Man area could use at a minimum at least two more ramps. The amount of boats/watercraft sold in the last 10 years is crazy! How about the local marine dealers selling all the new boats? You have to believe their sales would remain strong and even improve if there were more places to launch without all the congestion. I am hoping some of those business owners would attend these meetings and voice their opposition.

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
First public input meeting is 5:30 this evening at Gateway to Science which is convenient as it has an excellent view of the boat ramp with parking lot full of people and boat trailers.

If you do not want to lose this ramp then take action. Share info with friends. Attend one of the three meetings this week. Call Bismarck city commission. Call ND game & fish.

1000001030.jpg

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would be gathering and asking for data on how much that ramp is used.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Staring into the setting sun on the sun-drenched hillside would sell a lot beer and sunglasses! (y)

1710353048240.png

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88