Bismarck guy looking to learn

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd stand in the yard and practice with my fly rod for hours when I was a kid, I learned to tie a paper clip on instead of a fly after a trip to the Dr to get a bald spot shaved on my head and the hook removed. The Dr. laughed his ass off when I told him how it happened.

fly2cast

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used to do quite a bit of fly fishing in North Dakota around Bismarck. Like many have said, go for panfish and work your way up. Panfish are easy to catch with a popper. Its more difficult catching things like pike. Try from a boat or float tube. Starting on shore is difficult when you first start because you'll hook everything behind you and spend hours retying everything. "A River Runs Through It" is a good movie but won't help you a bit when it comes to actual fishing, especially in North Dakota.

DakotaGreg

Established Member
There was a fly club out of Dakota Tackle but attendence tapered. I considered looking into starting one but I dont make it to Bismarck often. Fly fishing to me is just another tool. It excells in shallow water and sight fishing. Most any fish can be targeted on fly. I fly cast on Lake Skakawea. When the carp are up, I enjoy casting to moving targets and keep one for catfish bait for evening. In the spring, Ill throw flies in the backwaters of bays and get all kinds of fish. I also like throwing flies into rockpiles for pike and bass. Might have a go spey casting this year. If you ever want more information, let me know. There isnt much information online for ND. Montana gets all the fly fishing attention but I prefer it here.

mikejennens

There was a fly club out of Dakota Tackle but attendence tapered. I considered looking into starting one but I dont make it to Bismarck often. Fly fishing to me is just another tool. It excells in shallow water and sight fishing. Most any fish can be targeted on fly. I fly cast on Lake Skakawea. When the carp are up, I enjoy casting to moving targets and keep one for catfish bait for evening. In the spring, Ill throw flies in the backwaters of bays and get all kinds of fish. I also like throwing flies into rockpiles for pike and bass. Might have a go spey casting this year. If you ever want more information, let me know. There isnt much information online for ND. Montana gets all the fly fishing attention but I prefer it here.
Thanks. I’m all ears since I don’t know what questions to ask yet.

DakotaGreg

Established Member
I can't speak out of experience for Burnt Creek or the Misty Waters marina specifically but it might surprise people the kinds of fish that get into tiny creeks like that especially during high water. Would have to walk banks, watch the water, and blind cast it. Might require permission to walk if its private land. I always start with wooly buggers and clousers. Weightless if its shallow or if theres carp on top. Watch for wakes, tailing, or lips sucking on the surface, especially in foamy weed choked pockets. Wear sunglasses and watch for spooked fish as you approach water that you can see into. Carp are lazy and generally wont chase down a fly like a bass (though it happens). Land a weightless fly in front of them and slowly twitch it across their face. Either guess when they suck it in and strip set or see it.
Maybe theres pike or bass in it, I dont know. Just blind cast those streamers, bigger sizes depending on what you find in there. If theres bluegill, tiny poppers work.
Or just cast familiar lures until find you fish, and then swap to an appropriate fly. I dont know what to do in places I havent been but I do know how to guess at getting started to figure it out. Creeks are good for new casters cus distance isnt as important. But if the creek is clear or you cant reach a spot, distance casting helps.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 118
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 98
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 69