Boat Winterizing

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sea foam in the tank, pull batteries, change lower unit grease. I have a cousin that has never done a thing to winterize his boat In fifteen years and it runs every year. So there’s that...

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
For the camper we take all food out and clean the inside very well. Bounce sheets, fresh cab. blow out the water lines and pump in RV antifreeze then take it to the fair grounds for winter storage. For the boat I back it in the garage (not heated) after the last use and plug in the on board charger and done. If I do use it when it starts to get colder I have 2 plugs I put in the inlet and outlet holes on the back of the boat for the live well. Then just put a cooler in the boat for fish, When I get out of the water I start the motor for a few seconds to pump some of the water out.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
We haven't had issues with mice in campers or boats, but our neighbor has. Here was the solution that has worked well for several years. We have done this to our camper as an insurance policy now too.

Since mice obviously come up the tires, he build a 2x6 frame and covered it with aluminum flashing/tin. The frame was large enough to go around each tire. The mice can't crawl up the aluminum 6 inches of flashing. I tried to find a picture of it. Found the one below that is similar in principle but does not have the wood frame.

b422abbd5780682e86f457fe250185de.jpg

shedwalker

Founding Member
Founding Member
When your done with all the other tips stated above. Put the plug in as that is one way the mice gets in.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I ran my boat yesterday with some seafoam. Later today, I'll change the lower unit oil and engine oil. All grease zerks will get a few pumps of marine grade grease. Each cubby will have some fresh cab. Engine will be fogged and the charger will be plugged in a few times over the winter. I'll pull the fish finders for ice fishing. I also loosen the tie down straps during the winter.

Next spring, I'll change the spark plugs, rewire the trailer, take care of trailer bearings, and tighten all screws down. Then the Flying Dutchman will be detailed and ready to go!

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
We haven't had issues with mice in campers or boats, but our neighbor has. Here was the solution that has worked well for several years. We have done this to our camper as an insurance policy now too.

Since mice obviously come up the tires, he build a 2x6 frame and covered it with aluminum flashing/tin. The frame was large enough to go around each tire. The mice can't crawl up the aluminum 6 inches of flashing. I tried to find a picture of it. Found the one below that is similar in principle but does not have the wood frame.

Good idea, they do something similar to coconut trees in Hawaii to keep rats from chewing coconuts off the trees.

My problem is I also have jumping mice. And those little shiites can actually get some elevation, at least a couple feet.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
i also assume those things aren't very effective once it snows and they get buried in snow. i know by that time they aren't as active. but, they still move around.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
anti critter climbing black plastic must a federal law now or some such?

While driving in the country for the last year or two I don't see a single utility pole - steel or wood - that's not wrapped with black HDPE to prevent critters from climbing

Last edited:

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm told by experienced campers that dryer sheets don't really STOP the mice. Neither does Irish Spring soap. Neither do those frequency pitch contraptions you plug into the outlet. One effective tool to kill the mice once inside the camper is a bucket of RV antifreeze, putting a thin rod thru an empty bottle of soda, and running the thin rod thru holes drilled on each end near the top of the bucket. Put a little peanut butter on the top of the soda bottle. They climb up, which they can always do well, but they cannot do the balancing act on a round bottle suspended by a thin rod. Down they go into the liquid and unable to climb back out. FINISHED!

Could do the same type of trap inside of the boat over the winter months.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm told by experienced campers that dryer sheets don't really STOP the mice. Neither does Irish Spring soap. Neither do those frequency pitch contraptions you plug into the outlet. One effective tool to kill the mice once inside the camper is a bucket of RV antifreeze, putting a thin rod thru an empty bottle of soda, and running the thin rod thru holes drilled on each end near the top of the bucket. Put a little peanut butter on the top of the soda bottle. They climb up, which they can always do well, but they cannot do the balancing act on a round bottle suspended by a thin rod. Down they go into the liquid and unable to climb back out. FINISHED!

I have been doing this exact thing since learning of it from an older fella at L & M Fleet. Set it up in our screened in porch attached to our camper. There are usually at least 2-3 dead in the bucket each weekend we return to our lake place. We still do the sticky traps and bounce sheets on the inside but very rarely have anything on the stickies. I am thinking the peanut butter brings the mouses to the set up instead. whohoooooo

bilbo

Honored Member

My dad used to do something similar in the shop. He just cut a hole in the lid and smeared PB on the underside, a little back from the hole. They try to get under the lid and can't reach the peanut butter. They keep reaching further until they can't hold on and fall into the bucket with water.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
Same concept, except in the winter the water will freeze and bust up the bucket from expanding. The RV antifreeze is always ready to drown another rodent!

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
i also assume those things aren't very effective once it snows and they get buried in snow. i know by that time they aren't as active. but, they still move around.

Someone said it already.

But one cat will keep all the rodents out.

Mine even killed a squirrel under the boat this summer.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 191
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 144
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88