What's new
Forums
Members
Resources
Whopper Club
Politics
Pics
Videos
Fishing Reports
Classifieds
Log in
Register
What's new
Search
Members
Resources
Whopper Club
Politics
Menu
Log in
Register
Install the app
Install
Forums
General
Off-Beat
Bone in Venison Chops??
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Honkerslayr" data-source="post: 499033" data-attributes="member: 3231"><p>Going to try it this year if I'm lucky to get out at least and lucky enough to harvest a deer. What I'm doing is just taking an entire hindquarter, trimming the outside of any fat or anything else you'd not prefer to eat and laying it flat. then just start in the middle preferably(depending how many you may want because they will be quite large) and slice your desired width perdendicular or crosswise to the femur. Use a saw of any kind to get through the bone and finish cutting through the meat with your knife. They often call this the caveman steak. I'm going to just try a few because of how large they will be and it will definitely feed a few. You'll get to try the top round, eye of round, bottom round and tri-tip. I notice flavor to be generally the same as chops but tenderness a bit less than the rounds, sometimes they can be almost unnoticeable as well. All depends but you can't go wrong as long as the meat has been properly taken care of after the harvest in my opinion. Something new I came across anyhow, seems easy and fun, especially if a person enjoys a great deer steak.</p><p></p><p><a href="https://realtree.com/timber-2-table/venison-caveman-cut-steak?srsltid=AU7gw4VnuColBPMHU2rEwk5ngxMNRrpwGoMyi-do55HqCAcELi0_9z14" target="_blank">https://realtree.com/timber-2-table/venison-caveman-cut-steak?srsltid=AU7gw4VnuColBPMHU2rEwk5ngxMNRrpwGoMyi-do55HqCAcELi0_9z14</a></p><p></p><p>I'm definitely going to cut it when partially frozen as well, probably easier to get a better cut and vac seal right afterwards.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Honkerslayr, post: 499033, member: 3231"] Going to try it this year if I'm lucky to get out at least and lucky enough to harvest a deer. What I'm doing is just taking an entire hindquarter, trimming the outside of any fat or anything else you'd not prefer to eat and laying it flat. then just start in the middle preferably(depending how many you may want because they will be quite large) and slice your desired width perdendicular or crosswise to the femur. Use a saw of any kind to get through the bone and finish cutting through the meat with your knife. They often call this the caveman steak. I'm going to just try a few because of how large they will be and it will definitely feed a few. You'll get to try the top round, eye of round, bottom round and tri-tip. I notice flavor to be generally the same as chops but tenderness a bit less than the rounds, sometimes they can be almost unnoticeable as well. All depends but you can't go wrong as long as the meat has been properly taken care of after the harvest in my opinion. Something new I came across anyhow, seems easy and fun, especially if a person enjoys a great deer steak. [URL]https://realtree.com/timber-2-table/venison-caveman-cut-steak?srsltid=AU7gw4VnuColBPMHU2rEwk5ngxMNRrpwGoMyi-do55HqCAcELi0_9z14[/URL] I'm definitely going to cut it when partially frozen as well, probably easier to get a better cut and vac seal right afterwards. [/QUOTE]
Verification
What is the most common fish caught on this site?
Post reply
Recent Posts
Bone in Venison Chops??
Latest: Honkerslayr
Today at 1:07 AM
L
NDSU to the FBS???
Latest: LBrandt
Yesterday at 11:24 PM
Pheasant opener # 57
Latest: Kurtr
Yesterday at 10:39 PM
IDK: Serene/Creek Trout YT
Latest: svnmag
Yesterday at 8:47 PM
Are the Brits are friends?
Latest: svnmag
Yesterday at 8:11 PM
Generation X
Latest: lunkerslayer
Yesterday at 8:06 PM
Teachers
Latest: wslayer
Yesterday at 6:25 PM
M9 Moose
Latest: wslayer
Yesterday at 5:16 PM
C
Gasoline pump prices
Latest: camper
Yesterday at 4:48 PM
What happened to DB-2
Latest: Jiffy
Yesterday at 1:23 PM
M
M11 cow moose
Latest: Mhall92
Yesterday at 12:49 PM
ND suppressor laws update?
Latest: Kurtr
Yesterday at 12:38 PM
I HATE coyotes!!!!
Latest: Rowdie
Yesterday at 11:24 AM
M
NFL News (Vikings)
Latest: measure-it
Yesterday at 10:49 AM
R
migration 26
Latest: riverview
Yesterday at 9:29 AM
This is very sad and wrong
Latest: Zogman
Yesterday at 7:00 AM
Braid To Braid
Latest: risingsun
Yesterday at 4:24 AM
Henry Garden Gun YT
Latest: svnmag
Friday at 7:46 PM
Interesting Look!!!!!
Latest: risingsun
Friday at 6:10 PM
Boys had a heck of a weekend
Latest: Yoby
Friday at 11:24 AM
Pronghorn
Latest: PAIN
Friday at 11:19 AM
Friends of NDA
Forums
General
Off-Beat
Bone in Venison Chops??
Top
Bottom