Bought a New Mask Today - even Dr. Lunk would approve….

Bobkat

Established Member
2BF0484A-C09C-4A26-B6F9-1FB81496745F.jpeg
First scuba dive back in 1962 and wore out several boatloads of Scuba equipment since then here and there around the globe! My corrective lens mask finally gave up after countless dives in fresh and salt water, baked by tropical Sun, beat up in dive bags, etc. and I thought at my old age of 80 trips around the Sun, it would be ridiculous to buy another one. Day dreaming of a trip to Bonaire or Caymans or Belieze next winter, then found out the BLM sunk a decommissioned and environmentally cleaned A6 in the lake here so couldn’t hold off any longer. Got to get pics of strippers manning the cockpit!
Can’t spear sport fish here but carp, Buffalo and Talapia fair game. At my old age I had to special order corrective lenses groundinto the mask glass to be able to see near and far and correct for the light diffusion between water and air. Havent tested with Scuba yet but with a borrowed wet suit it’s really interesting to snorkel the shallower water and watch the smallmouths on their nests, and occasional crayfish being gulped by a smallie! This would be a Great Lake for SNUBA if anyone interested!
Hope everyone OK with this mask! Got. To be careful what you post these days! LOL

Bobkat

Established Member
Errant comments? Not many of these around here. Maybe with my new mask correction Imcan see em now.
Spearing goldfish is not out of the question, though. Believe it or not, here in AZ it is perfectly legal to go to Wal Mart and buy goldfish for live bass bait! Haven’t tried it myself, now ever will but goldfish, for heavens sake?
If I’m underwater with a spear gun and a big goldfish swims by it’ll get an immediate behind the gills ache! Along with its cousins, carp, Buffalo and other non game rough fish!
I’m sure wouldn’t advise anyone around Seven to snorkel with his ass in the air above water level or you just might get a sudden magnum hemmorhoidal massage though! LOL. Kidding you seven!

Any other scuba divers on here? Another outdoor topic to pass the melting season.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Aren't you that same bobcat with a c who deleted his account after @johnr joked about taking a deuce in front of your ice house. Lmao Maybe it wasn't the deuce part but there was a handle with a name bobcat with a c that deleted his account a ways back on the first nda site?

Bobkat

Established Member
Nope! Never have used bobcat. Have no idea what you are attacking me about now……. Anyone ever tell you that when you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you should do is stop digging! Not digging faster - that only destroys your credibility! A good buddy texted me and said the best way to destroy your credibility is to let you ramble on and on about stuff everyone knows not to be true, and let them decide who “ speaks the truth.” Another said “ the man is clearly insane, just ignore him!” I think I’ll follow that advice!

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nope! Never have used bobcat. Have no idea what you are attacking me about now……. Anyone ever tell you that when you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you should do is stop digging! Not digging faster - that only destroys your credibility! A good buddy texted me and said the best way to destroy your credibility is to let you ramble on and on about stuff everyone knows not to be true, and let them decide who “ speaks the truth.” Another said “ the man is clearly insane, just ignore him!” I think I’ll follow that advice!
Wasn't attacking just asking if you were the same member, I was hoping you were then we could of ask why they deleted their account. Again just asking a question, tell you the truth my credibility here is just fine bobkat with a k no need to worry about that. It's funny you talk about members emailing you personally about me how come they didn't come to your defense when you had messed up by posting on two different handles? Oh we can definitely clear away any credibility issues if you would answer my post about the coof. It would clear the problem right up quick

Bobkat

Established Member
Wasn't attacking just asking if you were the same member, I was hoping you were then we could of ask why they deleted their account. Again just asking a question, tell you the truth my credibility here is just fine bobkat with a k no need to worry about that. It's funny you talk about members emailing you personally about me how come they didn't come to your defense when you had messed up by posting on two different handles? Oh we can definitely clear away any credibility issues if you would answer my post about the coof. It would clear the problem right up quick
Most indicated they are getting a kick out of this! One suggested this be moved to ha ha volume.
Anyway I’m out of any posts except for any having to do with you. I’m stupid - what’s a coof?

Bobkat

Established Member
Sorry for the thread! Just trying to get a discussion about scuba diving, one more activity to enjoy our outdoors. There used to be several scuba divers on here. I’d think Vollmer would welcome more hits and outdoor non political crap! Guess not……

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well its a nickname for the covid virus, so be it though we have had others like you that didn't want to take up challenges in the past on nda. The others being called out to a challenge to me makes them look weak not saying your weak just pointing out an observation about other members that have been on this site a long long time longer then you. We all give each other a little ribbing and some good old fashion goofing around. I completely understand if you don't want to answer my questions on the subject of the coof, you don't need to because others tell you that it's in your best interest to just ignore me. So be it being able to mock one member while threatening punitive damages against the same member seems like a tactic of a person who likes bake his own cake and eat it to. Carry on then

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sorry for the thread! Just trying to get a discussion about scuba diving, one more activity to enjoy our outdoors. There used to be several scuba divers on here. I’d think Vollmer would welcome more hits and outdoor non political crap! Guess not……
Vollmer doesn't need anyones advice on how to run his own website, do you run nodak outdoor website that you keep posting about? How's that site doing these days don't know much about that site since I am on this site, which to me kicks ass. Tell you the truth this is the best outdoor website in the country as far as I'm concerned, I have had accounts on other outdoor related forums and none compare to the foot traffic this one does. So again Vollmer doesn't need any help running this one.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyways back to the subject of this thread scuba diving, I have always wanted to try scuba diving for real in the ocean. Maybe someday I will try it but probably won't happen since I have issues with my ears popping when i dived deep into the pool.
I did get to see a person scuba dive in the flesh when I worked on the grade raises of the roads on the devils lake basin. The diver was a certified rescue diver who was also a foreman for the company that I worked for a couple summers. He was inserting these large rubber air bladders called pigs into culverts that needed extensions added to the ends since the road was going to be widened as well as raised. The pigs would be inserted and filled up with air to stop the water from leaking into the coffer dam that was built so the area was dry to add on the extensions to the pipe that was underwater. That was the only time I have ever seen anyone scuba dive.
Other then that I don't see scuba diving in north dakota as a popular adventure since most lakes are not clear enough as say Minnesota lakes. One thing is for sure of if you could make a wet suit affordable for winter diving then you could have something because devils lake would be crappy in open water but winter time would be awesome.
Here is a video for north dakota spear fishing
I do remember hearing stories of divers inspecting the garrison dam and feeling huge fish bumping into you which would scare the crap out of me, even though you have a light it would be frightening to me.

https://www.justgottadive.com/dive_...s/prairie-diving-north-dakotas-lake-sakakawea

Last edited:

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
i might try making a new account just to mess with lunker and see just how much fun I'm missing out on.

Bobkat

Established Member
You’d probably like it Lunker. Commercial divers are really professional, well trained and do a lot of stuff that we amateurs don’t do even if we had the necessary expensive equipment. I’ve .done many post grad classes in mixed gas, deep diving, rescue diving, no overhead surface access, wreck diving, , and like you mentioned, through ice diving.
Ice diving does let you experience better visibility than in summer, but takes a lot of effort, a real team approach, special training, and a cadre of experienced safety divers on the ice, everyone learning safety protocols and tug on the safety harness type signals. I’ve only done it a couple times years ago on Sak. You need a dry suit, wet suit not enough, backup equipment, safety lines, and paths trampled radially the snow lit from the hole. You can see these paths from under the ice, and if all else failed and your safety line broke or knot broke, you can follow them back to the hole.
After doing it,all I can say is it’s .Ike a lot of things in life you should do just to experience it before you fertilize grass from the underside! Skydiving, lots of stuff. In two fairly long dives each, the bunch of us only saw one dormant crayfish and a couple tiny smallmouths that looked like they were hibernating. Not exciting at all! There’s companies of pro divers around that do this stuff routinely to haul out vehicles broke through the ice, SAR for bodies and things like that and I envy them! At my old age, give me nice warm Carribean water with 100 foot visibility! Water here (Az) surface is around 80 all summer but vis 15-20 feet or so. Seems more algae every year as surface twmps heat up. Vis in Sak varies a lot. After wind or rain runoff it can be better than 20 feet or so. Shooting carp and buffaloes is fun. If you want to eat walleyes, though, grab your rod and reel. Yep, you get some, but takes a lot of effort. Can’t shoot bass in ND- they are too easy!
Getting to know you a bit better, I suspect you’d probably like to try Scuba. See a diving Doc (couldn’t be me as you found out I’m a non Doc— kidding! ) and sit inon one of our volunteer lectures (no cost) and some old guy just might show up disguised as a doc and teach you how to avoid not just ear popping but other types of barotrauma, especially the minds that can kill you!
Or try things like SNUBA - I’ve never done it but it’s very safe and will give you an idea what ira like! Basically an air compressor floating on the surface with an air hose no longer than 30 feet so you can screw with Pascals law and get the bends. You can still ver air embolism which could kill you even faster, it with a minimum of instruction you’d be OK.
Best yet head to the Carribean and take a short 4 hour resort. Purse sitting on a nice beach! At the end of the abbreviated class you’ll be paired with a diving instructor who will show you lots of great stuff on your first dive, usually only down to 50 feet or so!
These two th8ngs are a bit like sniffing the wine cor and sipping a bit to see if you’d like to invest in the whole bottle!
Take care. BTW, I apologies for the headline of this thread. Tried to change it after I hit send or whatever, to say something like “Every ody will agree on this mask” and be funny.
Sorry about that. I’ll try not start a dis Susi on on anything else, it most of my friends have their heads full of a wealth of info on all kinds of outdoor topics many would love to see, rather than same old, same old. Sure not trying to tell poor Vollmer how to run a web site. I’ve always wondered why they last a few years, then disappear, etc. no new faces or topics …….

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Most indicated they are getting a kick out of this! One suggested this be moved to ha ha volume.
Anyway I’m out of any posts except for any having to do with you. I’m stupid - what’s a coof?
"Most"?..."Mr. Stevenson" was outed pretty quick as this one dumbass. Writing style is difficult to conceal when you get on a "roll" and forget to shade it. Ask Ted Kazinski.

You're the same dude we've known for 20+years😐. I welcome you to stay instead of calling us racists and leaving when you no longer have a suitable counterpoint to disagreeable posts.

Also, to get your point across don't write a big black character square. It won't get read like the vids I post don't mostly don't get watched. Do bullet statements. See?!--y'all read every bit of this shit like finishing off a bag of chips.

A tune for Rust:

Last edited:

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
"Most"? Mr. Stevenson was outed pretty quick as this one dumbass. Writing style is difficult to conceal when you get on a "roll" and forget to shade it. Ask Ted Kazinski.

You're the same dude we've known for 20+years😐. I welcome you to stay instead of calling us racists and leaving when you no longer have a suitable counterpoint to disagreeable posts.

Also, to get your point across don't write a big black character square. It won't get read like the vids I post don't mostly don't get watched. Do bullet statements. See?!--y'all read every bit of this shit like finishing off a bag of chips.

A tune for Rust:
Hey, if a new handle means a new leaf, let 'er ride!

And for the record, I watch 38% of your videos.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 67