Broken Flashers

savage270

Founding Member
Founding Member
I now have 3 inoperative ice fishing flashers sitting in my storage room collecting dust (2 vexilars and a marcum). They all turn on, run and light up like a Christmas tree but they don't function at all with the transducer. Just a bunch of random lights on the screen. They range from 5-20 years old and I have always taken good care of my equipment, so that shouldn't be the issue. So my questions are:

Do these things just have a useful life of 5-7 years and need to be replaced? Is there a way to clean/tune up them? Is there a place in Bismarck that services them? Can you send them back to the manufacturer to get refurbished? Or do I just need to bite the bullet and buy a new one?

Thanks for any input.

jdfisherman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Most of the time with Vex it's dirty/worn brushes in the display unit. A good cleaning usually takes care of it. I'm sure there's Youtube videos if you want to tackle it yourself, otherwise send it in as stated above

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Couple thoughts. First, try a new transducer with the Vexs. If it works, then you know its a ducer issue. If it does not, then its the unit itself. You can either use a buddies ducer or take your unit to scheels and try one of theirs. The unit should give you a bottom reading even when out of water and holding the ducer a few feet off the cement floor. If its the unit, send it in. I sent 1 in once but I do not remember what it cost. I do remember that I was happy with the work, the cost and the turnaround time.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Must have close to 20 years on one of them, still working as it did when new

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I bought a FL-18 the second year they came out and still use it. Five years ago I hit it with the truck tire, sent it in to the company and had it back in a week. Less than $100 and it works like new. They have terrific customer service.

savage270

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for the responses and I will be sending them all in. Vexilar will call me with the price to fix them prior to doing the work. Marcum is a flat $95 you pay up front and includes the shipping back to me. It looks like I should end up with 3 working units for less than the cost of a new one.

Fenced In

I now have 3 inoperative ice fishing flashers sitting in my storage room collecting dust (2 vexilars and a marcum). They all turn on, run and light up like a Christmas tree but they don't function at all with the transducer. Just a bunch of random lights on the screen. They range from 5-20 years old and I have always taken good care of my equipment, so that shouldn't be the issue. So my questions are:

Do these things just have a useful life of 5-7 years and need to be replaced? Is there a way to clean/tune up them? Is there a place in Bismarck that services them? Can you send them back to the manufacturer to get refurbished? Or do I just need to bite the bullet and buy a new one?

Thanks for any input.
Vex will fix them if you send them in for a little coin there really reasonable.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
yep marcum and vex have fast and cheap service for what ive seen and heard.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Vexilar's customer service is top notch. I've mailed in to Vex on a Monday and had it back Friday. I've had 3 different times I've mailed a vex in and it's been the same every time. I get a phone call Wednesday, give them a credit number over the phone and bingo.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 160
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 80