Camping. Directv?

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
Not a huge fan of tv while camping, but sometimes it's just nice to have. So I am wondering, if I have Directv at home, can I put Directv on the camper? My idea is to find a standard definition satellite dish (the old reguler round ones) and put it on the camper. These are a 100x easier to get a signal with. The HD ones are a pain, and might lose signal often if the camper moves at all. Then use a card out of 1 of my boxes at home. Can anyone confirm if this works? Any other ideas for tv in the camper for cheap? Currently we just stream things to the tv via our wifi on the phone. Burns up the data quick.

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wouldn't mount it on the camper IMO. Then you have to worry about it getting ripped off in the wind when traveling and filling screw holes when selling. Just make a ground stand for it. Dish has the tailgater which is sweet. An extra receiver is only 7 bucks a month. I wouldn't doubt direct tv has something similar.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I like the idea of a ground stand. Mount a standard def dish in there if i can find one. I think their travel dishes are spendy.

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
Vollmer i've got a ground stand for a dish if u want it. you will just need the arm and the dish.... I had my Directv dish set up at the lake on my camper and it was nothing to do. i just set it up exactly the same as it is at home and bought a second power inserter off of ebay and left it in the camper. i have 3 recievers and mainly only use 2 so the 3rd one just stayed in the camper..... the only problem with adding a second reciever is that it reniews your contract so your stuck with them for 1 or 2 years whether u like it or not.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
Vollmer i've got a ground stand for a dish if u want it. you will just need the arm and the dish.... I had my Directv dish set up at the lake on my camper and it was nothing to do. i just set it up exactly the same as it is at home and bought a second power inserter off of ebay and left it in the camper. i have 3 recievers and mainly only use 2 so the 3rd one just stayed in the camper..... the only problem with adding a second reciever is that it reniews your contract so your stuck with them for 1 or 2 years whether u like it or not.

Thanks for the info. I have an extra receiver. Once I find an old SD dish I'll start playing around with it. Setup seems easy, just wanted to make sure I could just pull one of the cards and it would work.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 111
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 69