Cancun fishing

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll be in Cancun in 2 weeks. Anybody ever been offshore fishing? Recommendations on charters?

Ive fished in other places in Mexico but it's my first time to Cancun.

gr8outdoors

Founding Member
Founding Member
Was down there 2 weeks ago n some buddies went out n did fairly well. Not sure which charter they used, but said they caught over 40 fish including grouper, a small shark, and a sailfish.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sounds like fun! Last time to mex I stayed on cozemel,low budget deal as all the charter trips were buckoo bucks,went out with our bell man,his name was grouper,figured he earned the name,so told the old lady were fishing in the morning,$100 bucks for two,grouper showed up in a 18' alum tiller fishing boat,old 25hp merc w/o the hood,no rods just handlines and spark plugs for weight,had a blast catching rock fish,fun times.

Fishnboyz

We took our family down to Hotel Marina El Cid in Puerto Morelos, just south of Cancun. They have a 120 slip Marina with fishing guides. The fishing was awesome. We took out a half day charter-the Captain was awesome. We caught, Mahi Mahi, Baracuda and Tuna. The boys had a blast. The five of us went out for 4 hours for $550.00 US dollars. Just google Ed Cid resorts sportfishing. They have the boats, capitains and prices for you. Very fun and clean operation.

b2down

Founding Member
Founding Member
We took a charter out of Puerto Morelos two years ago. I can't remember the charter company. Most of the boats think everyone is there to catch sailfish and most of the boats, this time of year, haven't caught a sailfish for two weeks or more. Don' t be afraid to ask them if you can do some bottom fishing. We caught two barracudas trolling for sailfish in the first two hours. We asked if we could jig/bottom fish and caught 21 more fish in the last two hours. Tuna, grouper, mahi mahi. 6 boats left and returned the same time we did and not one other boat had more than 3 fish.

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
We took a charter out of Puerto Morelos two years ago. I can't remember the charter company. Most of the boats think everyone is there to catch sailfish and most of the boats, this time of year, haven't caught a sailfish for two weeks or more. Don' t be afraid to ask them if you can do some bottom fishing. We caught two barracudas trolling for sailfish in the first two hours. We asked if we could jig/bottom fish and caught 21 more fish in the last two hours. Tuna, grouper, mahi mahi. 6 boats left and returned the same time we did and not one other boat had more than 3 fish.

its primetime for sail fish right now. the charter I've been looking at posts pics of sailfish everyday.

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
will be in Puerto Vallarta next week have fishing on the agenda….hopefully sailfish as well…but yes I would second the Puerto Morelos nice small little fishing village about 20minutes south of Cancun we stayed there a few years back …I would also recommend a day trip to Xel-Ha for snorkeling well worth it especially if you’ve never done it before…

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
will be in Puerto Vallarta next week have fishing on the agenda….hopefully sailfish as well…but yes I would second the Puerto Morelos nice small little fishing village about 20minutes south of Cancun we stayed there a few years back …I would also recommend a day trip to Xel-Ha for snorkeling well worth it especially if you’ve never done it before…

Ive fished out of Puerto Vallarta. I can't give you any pointers cause the fishing was dog shit when I went. Or at least with who I went.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ive fished out of Puerto Vallarta. I can't give you any pointers cause the fishing was dog shit when I went. Or at least with who I went.

I went on an expensive boat ride in Puerto Vallarta as well.

- - - Updated - - -

If I ever went out from Puerto Vallarta again, I would bottom fish for whatever.

b2down

Founding Member
Founding Member
We were told the best sailfishing is in April and May. That's when they have the tournaments and the boats from up north move down.

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
so this xel ha looks awesome
It’s an all-inclusive cove… drinks and food are included once you are there along with snorkeling or tubing down a river into the bay(you can go as many times as you like) , there are cliffs to jump off of and zip lines into the water along the way…it’s well worth the trip from Cancun…you should be able to line up the excursion from your resort

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
It’s an all-inclusive cove… drinks and food are included once you are there along with snorkeling or tubing down a river into the bay(you can go as many times as you like) , there are cliffs to jump off of and zip lines into the water along the way…it’s well worth the trip from Cancun…you should be able to line up the excursion from your resort

awesome. thanks for the tip. We are going to do that for sure.

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
I went on an expensive boat ride in Puerto Vallarta as well.

- - - Updated - - -

If I ever went out from Puerto Vallarta again, I would bottom fish for whatever.

There is a group of us going not really anticipating catching to much just a better option then shopping with the wives….

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
There is a group of us going not really anticipating catching to much just a better option then shopping with the wives….

you will have a good time. Drink beer. The first mate made us some ceviche from one of the fish we caught that day. It was delicious. Pulled in the Spanish makarel and filleted it right there. He cut it up in chunks and had limes, lemons, tomatoes and avocado and mixed it all up and ate it with chips right on the boat. Sadly that was the highlight of the fishing. ha

roosterfish

★★★ Legendary Member
Not sure about Cancun but went out in puerta vallarta about ten years ago. Coldest fishing day in my life complete down pour and 3 Bonita for the day. can't remember charter but it wasn't Master Baiters. (True story one charter name) Have been to Cabo 4 yaers in a row now and you can not beat Pisces. We slayed 43 tuna one year 27 mahi mahi another. Caught a thresher shark last year on a 26ft panga that took over 3 hours to land. I have lots of contacts there if anyone interested.

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not sure about Cancun but went out in puerta vallarta about ten years ago. Coldest fishing day in my life complete down pour and 3 Bonita for the day. can't remember charter but it wasn't Master Baiters. (True story one charter name) Have been to Cabo 4 yaers in a row now and you can not beat Pisces. We slayed 43 tuna one year 27 mahi mahi another. Caught a thresher shark last year on a 26ft panga that took over 3 hours to land. I have lots of contacts there if anyone interested.

I ♥️ Cabo!!!

snowcat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Check with the charters about you getting to keep the fish, a lot out there belong to the boat. The best part about Cabo is having the local restaurants cook the fish for you.

roosterfish

★★★ Legendary Member
Pisces in Cabo will even freeze it for you if you want. Last year we even got a restaurant to buy our supper in exchange for a couple Dorado and a couple tuna. In mexico it's all about the bartering.LOL

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 77
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 52
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 32
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 31