Canted Scope Reticle?

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
FWIW, for scope mounting, my first step is sticking a sheet of paper on the wall about 15yds away and using a level to draw a vertical line.

Unless you've an EFR riflescope that allows parallax adjustment down to 50', a straight line @ 15yds doesn't really allow one to level a scope due to parallax. It'll get you close, close enough for most hunting situations, but, not close enough based upon the OP's initial question.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
th

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
Unless you've an EFR riflescope that allows parallax adjustment down to 50', a straight line @ 15yds doesn't really allow one to level a scope due to parallax. It'll get you close, close enough for most hunting situations, but, not close enough based upon the OP's initial question.

When i was shooting your 250 the other weekend the crosshairs were WAY canted for me. Were those crosshairs properly leveled and its just me holding the gun gangster sideways?

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I tend to tilt rifles a little inboard so, those who don't, find some of my scopes canted a bit clockwise.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep - mine are tilted to account for how I hold them just a touch - not perfectly in line with the gun itself. I could imagine a lot of variation in how folks hold their guns.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dumb novice question, but does it matter if the reticle is canted? I mean, the center and your POI shouldn't change because it's tilted a bit one way or another, right?

I guess I've never even looked that hard down my scope before. Then again, I'm rarely poking at deer beyond 100 yards. So it probably doesn't matter in my case.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dumb novice question, but does it matter if the reticle is canted? I mean, the center and your POI shouldn't change because it's tilted a bit one way or another, right?

I guess I've never even looked that hard down my scope before. Then again, I'm rarely poking at deer beyond 100 yards. So it probably doesn't matter in my case.

Yes because it does not move straight up and down vertically when you making adjustments. For the minute of pie plate shooter who sites in a few weeks before deer season no it probably doesn't.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes because it does not move straight up and down vertically when you making adjustments. For the minute of pie plate shooter who sites in a few weeks before deer season no it probably doesn't.

Ah. So for the tinkerer or the guys who don't like to rely on Kentucky Windage. I can respect that.

I don't think my Leopold hasn't moved since I set it 15 years ago.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ah. So for the tinkerer or the guys who don't like to rely on Kentucky Windage. I can respect that.

I don't think my Leopold hasn't moved since I set it 15 years ago.

Yep more for people who prefer precision over close enough. Even if using a hold over if it is canted you will be off if shooting g at any distance. Unless you have the .270 the guy at the range had the other day. He holds on deers back at 500 and kills them on the run. I avoid the range like the plague for the next 3 weeks.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep more for people who prefer precision over close enough. Even if using a hold over if it is canted you will be off if shooting g at any distance. Unless you have the .270 the guy at the range had the other day. He holds on deers back at 500 and kills them on the run. I avoid the range like the plague for the next 3 weeks.

Can you explain that part? Do you mean you'd be off because you're less accurate judging holdover with skewed crosshairs?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
On my reticle if I am canted and holding for say 587 yards it is 13.25 moa so then add in wind hold and stuff starts compounding it self. Here is pick of reticle.

ret_vhs-lr_f_6-24x50_xlr_moa-t.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I am on the phone hard to get pics to post how I want.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can you explain that part? Do you mean you'd be off because you're less accurate judging holdover with skewed crosshairs?

If your scope is canted, up doesn't mean up. Up means up, and over by the amount you're canted. Doesn't matter if you're holding over, or dialing. For POI to shift only within the vertical plane, then the vertical stadia of the reticle must be perfect. Same can be said for the horizontal and windage.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
On my reticle if I am canted and holding for say 587 yards it is 13.25 moa so then add in wind hold and stuff starts compounding it self. Here is pick of reticle.

a650433de5d14fb869439b1408aa1565.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I am on the phone hard to get pics to post how I want.

Kurt I ordered a new Vortex Viper PST first focal plane 6X24 with that C2 MOA reticle. Something like yours. I ordered the PST because it has the minutes numbered. Us old geezers have a hard time counting when we are excited about antlers.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can say I love that reticle. It is second nature now I have used it so much

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Glad to hear that Kurt. Some people think the reticle is to "busy". I looked through them in Scheels and to me it looks nearly invisible when my eye is on the target.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Glad to hear that Kurt. Some people think the reticle is to "busy". I looked through them in Scheels and to me it looks nearly invisible when my eye is on the target.

Citizens Arrest! Citizens Arrest!! I'm in a dilema about remounting a scope because of this. I interpreted from Hors the reticle is supposed to appear painted on the target.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9efgLHgsBmM

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
point it in the air at the sky. adjust till retical is clear with diopter (sp). Any fuzziness when on target should be dialed out with paralax adjustment but cross hairs should still be sharp and crisp.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is the deal differentiating a shotgunner and a rifleman/handgunner. There comes an age when the eye chooses a discipline.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is the deal differentiating a shotgunner and a rifleman/handgunner. There comes an age when the eye chooses a discipline.

I have to screw the ocular way out to clear up the reticle for this old man. Then everything is a go. Only problem is I have had UV damage to the right eye and may have to start shooting left handed one of these days.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 188
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 111
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 64
  • This month: 64
  • This month: 62
  • This month: 61
  • This month: 55