Carp Fishin

John Michael Barry

Does anybody know where, in the western part of the state, you can fish carp? I know i know, it might as well be blaspheme that i even ask about such a foul creature. I know they gotta be in some slack waters of the missouri, but that doesn't narrow it down... at all. Id like to take a day or two off from Walleye this year, and battle some. Preferably near the williston area, but id go an hour or two. Thanks guys

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Any backwater off the Missouri, Sakakawea is full of them and I saw many large carp canoeing the Little Missouri river but that was a loooonnggg time ago.

You should have no problem finding a large population of these hard fighting heavyweights within two hours from Willytown...

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
When are you planning on going? This spring when the water comes up a bit and starts to flood small areas, just be ready. You don't have to go far, within a couple hundred yards of the Lewis and Clark bridge would be fine. Last spring I saw hundreds of them (and gar) that would flock to these areas the moment they became flooded.

John Michael Barry

No plans on when, yet, But anytime really. But sounds like here in the next month or two, since the river should start rising soon. I didn't know they were so plentiful, i did a lot of fishing along the river last year, and never saw a one. I guess i focused more on the main channel as opposed to flooded areas near it.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Shit just go buy a bag of corn toss it in the little muddy (say your feeding ducks) and rig up a carp rig and have at it. Don't put the corn on the hook carp are insanely smart and if they feel the hook they will spit it out. What we do is we leave a two inch piece of line in a loop off the eye. Needs to be a loop so you can take a needle with part of its eye opened up so it can latch onto the loop so you can thread the corn onto the extra line. The carp will pick the corn up and mouth it for a second or two before truly taking it so give them a bit of time before setting the hook. It's supper fun to do this in clear water when you can watch them do it.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Missouri river backwaters are full of carp and not a small one in the bunch. A gob of nightcrawler on a hook should catch you a couple.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've never worried much about the hook point as they feed on crayfish. IMHE, the key is making sure they feel no resistance on the pick-up. In the tailrace, I've found it's a different story; they don't care. Bank fishing with a no-roll sinker-to swivel-to air injected crawler; produced just about every species in the river: Carp and buffalo included. Slap bam zing. I surmise the heavy current causes a different "attitude".

- - - Updated - - -

Will also agree with Dean on the intelligence factor.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 31
  • This month: 21
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 14
  • This month: 12
  • This month: 12
  • This month: 11
  • This month: 11
  • This month: 10