Conceal Carry

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
d oes anybody know of someone that got in trouble for a fillet knife or a gun under a jacket in their vehicle

I don't know of anyone who got in trouble for a filet knife, but I do know someone who got a concealed weapons charge for a small baseball (little league version) bat that was in the back seat/floor boards of a Honda Civic and covered. It turned out bad for him. I got my concealed weapons permit as a result of this after I thought about how I store hunting tools in my pickup.

Last edited:

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't know of anyone who got in trouble for a filet knife, but I do know someone who got a concealed weapons charge for a small baseball (little league version) bat that was in the back seat/floor boards of a Honda Civic and covered. It turned out bad for him. I got my concealed weapons permit as a result of this after I thought about how I store hunting tools in my pickup.

Agreed. It might almost never ever happen, but why take the chance? I think about all the truck drivers who have tire-whacker bats, and even though it's ridiculous, they could get the book thrown at them. I feel like it's not worth the chance, to happen across a LEO who's having a bad day. You might win your case, but it might be hell to do so. And in this day and age, there's always the chance that you could end up across from a crap jury, who finds you guilty of some BS charge.

Not worth it.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Honest question- I have never considered anything but a pistol a concealed weapon, at least in terms of having a permit for one. In reading the SD concealed carry website, everything is in regards to firearms. Does my concealed carry permit really cover other types of items beyond a pistol?

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member

This seems absolutely ridiculous. Using this definition they could get absolutely everyone for having a concealed tire iron in the vehicle (except the people that have had to use them because once you take them out you know there is no way to put them back the way they were!!). Gotta be more to it than that...

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
TITLE 62.1WEAPONSCHAPTER 62.1-01DEFINITIONS - GENERAL PROVISIONS

62.1-01-01. General definitions.As used in this title, unless the context otherwise requires:1. "Dangerous weapon" includes any switchblade or gravity knife, machete, scimitar,stiletto, sword, dagger, or knife with a blade of five inches [12.7 centimeters] or more;any throwing star, nunchaku, or other martial arts weapon; any billy, blackjack, sap,bludgeon, cudgel, metal knuckles, or sand club; any slungshot; any bow and arrow,crossbow, or spear; any weapon that will expel, or is readily capable of expelling, aprojectile by the action of a spring, compressed air, or compressed gas, including anysuch weapon, loaded or unloaded, commonly referred to as a BB gun, air rifle, or CO2gun; and any projector of a bomb or any object containing or capable of producing andemitting any noxious liquid, gas, or substance. "Dangerous weapon" does not includea spray or aerosol containing CS, also known as ortho-chlorobenzamalonitrile; CN,also known as alpha-chloroacetophenone; or other irritating agent intended for use inthe defense of an individual, nor does the term include a device that uses voltage forthe defense of an individual, unless the device uses a projectile and voltage or thedevice uses a projectile and may be used to apply multiple applications of voltageduring a single incident, then the term includes the device for an individual who isprohibited from possessing a firearm under this title.

CHAPTER 62.1-04CONCEALED WEAPONS62.1-04-01.

Definition of concealed.A firearm or dangerous weapon is concealed if it is carried in such a manner as to not bediscernible by the ordinary observation of a passerby. There is no requirement that there beabsolute invisibility of the firearm or dangerous weapon, merely that it not be ordinarilydiscernible. A firearm or dangerous weapon is considered concealed if it is not secured, and isworn under clothing or carried in a bundle that is held or carried by the individual, or transportedin a vehicle under the individual's control or direction and available to the individual, includingbeneath the seat or in a glove compartment. A firearm or dangerous weapon is not considered concealed if it is:
1. Carried in a belt holster which is wholly or substantially visible or carried in a casedesigned for carrying a firearm or dangerous weapon and which is wholly orsubstantially visible;
2. Locked in a closed trunk or luggage compartment of a motor vehicle;
3. Carried in the field while lawfully engaged in hunting, trapping, or target shooting,whether visible or not;
4. Carried by any person permitted by law to possess a handgun unloaded and in asecure wrapper from the place of purchase to that person's home or place of business,or to a place of repair, or back from those locations; or
5. A bow and arrow, rifle, shotgun, unloaded handgun, or a weapon that will expel, or isreadily capable of expelling, a projectile by the action of a spring, compressed air, orcompressed gas including any such weapon commonly referred to as a BB gun, airrifle, or CO2 gun, while carried in a motor vehicle.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
d oes anybody know of someone that got in trouble for a fillet knife or a gun under a jacket in their vehicle

oh pick me! pick me! yes. i do. like allen, its the exact reason i also got my permit. charged by sheriff's department in conjunction with a DUI. eventually dismissed by the reasonable state's attorney. but, charged nonetheless and required spending of well earned funds to accomplish said dismissal.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
TITLE 62.1WEAPONSCHAPTER 62.1-01DEFINITIONS - GENERAL PROVISIONS

62.1-01-01. General definitions.As used in this title, unless the context otherwise requires:1. "Dangerous weapon" includes any switchblade or gravity knife, machete, scimitar,stiletto, sword, dagger, or knife with a blade of five inches [12.7 centimeters] or more;any throwing star, nunchaku, or other martial arts weapon; any billy, blackjack, sap,bludgeon, cudgel, metal knuckles, or sand club; any slungshot; any bow and arrow,crossbow, or spear; any weapon that will expel, or is readily capable of expelling, aprojectile by the action of a spring, compressed air, or compressed gas, including anysuch weapon, loaded or unloaded, commonly referred to as a BB gun, air rifle, or CO2gun; and any projector of a bomb or any object containing or capable of producing andemitting any noxious liquid, gas, or substance. "Dangerous weapon" does not includea spray or aerosol containing CS, also known as ortho-chlorobenzamalonitrile; CN,also known as alpha-chloroacetophenone; or other irritating agent intended for use inthe defense of an individual, nor does the term include a device that uses voltage forthe defense of an individual, unless the device uses a projectile and voltage or thedevice uses a projectile and may be used to apply multiple applications of voltageduring a single incident, then the term includes the device for an individual who isprohibited from possessing a firearm under this title.

CHAPTER 62.1-04CONCEALED WEAPONS62.1-04-01.

Definition of concealed.A firearm or dangerous weapon is concealed if it is carried in such a manner as to not bediscernible by the ordinary observation of a passerby. There is no requirement that there beabsolute invisibility of the firearm or dangerous weapon, merely that it not be ordinarilydiscernible. A firearm or dangerous weapon is considered concealed if it is not secured, and isworn under clothing or carried in a bundle that is held or carried by the individual, or transportedin a vehicle under the individual's control or direction and available to the individual, includingbeneath the seat or in a glove compartment. A firearm or dangerous weapon is not considered concealed if it is:
1. Carried in a belt holster which is wholly or substantially visible or carried in a casedesigned for carrying a firearm or dangerous weapon and which is wholly orsubstantially visible;
2. Locked in a closed trunk or luggage compartment of a motor vehicle;
3. Carried in the field while lawfully engaged in hunting, trapping, or target shooting,whether visible or not;
4. Carried by any person permitted by law to possess a handgun unloaded and in asecure wrapper from the place of purchase to that person's home or place of business,or to a place of repair, or back from those locations; or
5. A bow and arrow, rifle, shotgun, unloaded handgun, or a weapon that will expel, or isreadily capable of expelling, a projectile by the action of a spring, compressed air, orcompressed gas including any such weapon commonly referred to as a BB gun, airrifle, or CO2 gun, while carried in a motor vehicle.

Thank you Obi-Wan. I knew it was pretty broad and pretty vague. You can blame these types of laws on people who consistently push the boundaries of common sense.

We all know that a machete can be a dangerous weapon. But thanks to some @sshole who constantly says "well, it ain't exactly illegal", we have to have broad and sweeping laws. We all know that you shouldn't have explosives in your trunk, but thanks to some guy out there, who has no common sense, they have to make an actual law, rather than rely on people's judgement.

Platinum

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just renewed my Class 1 last Saturday. It was a couple hours and then to the range for the shooting and done. Well worth it for the 5 year period it covers. I drive into Minnesota from time to time and it's "peace of mind" knowing I am legal, especially in that State. Plus as said above, it is nice when purchasing a new firearm, whether that be a pistol or long gun. The process is so much faster.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
This seems absolutely ridiculous. Using this definition they could get absolutely everyone for having a concealed tire iron in the vehicle (except the people that have had to use them because once you take them out you know there is no way to put them back the way they were!!). Gotta be more to it than that...

That's nice compared to what I thought of it.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 98
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 47
  • This month: 46