Converting Camper into Ice House

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
A friend bought a snowbear last season, said he would take me out in it this winter, anxious to see what it's all about, so I know what I am missing when I go back to my neat little tent fish house.

I think you will be fine with this set up. And as said, vented heater only if you are sleeping in this thing.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't skimp on insulation , I have an old camper like that I was going to make a fish house out of many years ago. The inside was nice so I left it just the way it was and made sleeves to go down to the ice. Never froze so much in a fish house in all my life.

CWS

Founding Member
Founding Member
How did you get a future pic of DAPL???

I would really try to do a vented heater as well. It really cuts down on the moisture in the house and makes things WAY more comfortable.

Just don't turn into Sanford and Son like my buddies house, HAHAHA!

2aecdac6878148c35b50333f05874f18.jpg

Farmer

Founding Member
Founding Member
If your not going to get a vented heater, you might as well run a hose from the exhaust pipe on your pickup to heat it. Spend the extra money for a vented heater, you will be glad you did.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
If your not going to get a vented heater, you might as well run a hose from the exhaust pipe on your pickup to heat it. Spend the extra money for a vented heater, you will be glad you did.

Found a vented heater for $250. But I think I can get the one in it to work. Looks good.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Use the vented heater that's there if you can. Get a good deep cycle battery to run the fan and a higher amp battery charger to attach to the battery. Run generator to charge battery. Might as well toss in another grand for a Honda 2000.

My brother-in-law had the same idea. His is gutted, but has done nothing besides that. I personally would put about 30lbs of tannerite in it and light it up like the Griswalds house on Christmas and then use my money to buy a good used, already functional unit. But hey, to each their own.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
Use the vented heater that's there if you can. Get a good deep cycle battery to run the fan and a higher amp battery charger to attach to the battery. Run generator to charge battery. Might as well toss in another grand for a Honda 2000.

My brother-in-law had the same idea. His is gutted, but has done nothing besides that. I personally would put about 30lbs of tannerite in it and light it up like the Griswalds house on Christmas and then use my money to buy a good used, already functional unit. But hey, to each their own.

Doing the project is part of the fun for me. Plus I know it will be built strong. Good heads up on the gennie

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member

If I ever get a permanent or semi-permanent house, this is what I'll be doing. I'll pay the extra shekels for the lessons these guys learned over years of building fish houses that I won't have to learn the hard way if I tried to build one myself.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Found a vented heater for $250. But I think I can get the one in it to work. Looks good.

Every outfit is set up different but FWIW on mine on a windy day the draft would blow/suck/snuf the pilot light out so I was constantly lighting it with a rolled up piece of paper. This was the days before the long extended lighters. Guessing there was a simple remedy but I didn't put a lot of thought into it at the time. I agree with you that sometimes it's just fun to build something.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
Drop axles in, and work like a charm.

IMG_0623.jpg

IMG_0624.jpg

IMG_0624.jpg

Next is the wheel wells, green treat floor, hole covers, little wiring, then foam insulation.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
Drop axles in, and work like a charm.

V372642.jpg

Romee-Strijd--VS-Lingerie-2015--10-300x420.jpg

Romee-Strijd--VS-Lingerie-2015--10-300x420.jpg

Next is the wheel wells, green treat floor, hole covers, little wiring, then foam insulation.

when you get to the foam leave a half inch gap in between every sheet. Them come back with expanding spray foam and fill the gaps it will cut down on air drafts. I would do this between the floor and foam also.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
when you get to the foam leave a half inch gap in between every sheet. Them come back with expanding spray foam and fill the gaps it will cut down on air drafts. I would do this between the floor and foam also.

Spray foaming the whole thing. No air gaps at all. Plus it makes everything extra rigid, and tough.

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looking forward to the finished result V !!

Where did you find the drop axles ??

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
IMG_0639.jpg

IMG_0640.jpg

IMG_0641.jpg

IMG_0642.jpg

Almost ready. Foam is in. Have just 2 hole covers left to install. Install lights (wiring is already run under the foam). Then gonna get 'er on ice.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 104
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 47
  • This month: 46