COW is delicious

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMG_2941.JPG

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a half dozen books on wild edible plants and medicinal plants. Publications back to 1896.

My wife has been trying to find a book that has all the ND plants. No luck so far.

- - - Updated - - -

f08df7467a194e4dba8f739691028630.jpg

Anyone know what this one is called? Found a bunch the other day out spraying weeds.

That would look good in a nice big cocktail!

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
f08df7467a194e4dba8f739691028630.jpg

Anyone know what this one is called? Found a bunch the other day out spraying weeds.

pretty sure it's shaggy parasol again - just more mature (they go from round sphere to flying saucer as they mature)

- - - Updated - - -

or false parasol - i.e. "the vomiter" - ha ha ha

- - - Updated - - -

but the "snakeskin" says shaggy parasol

spore print to ID for sure (which is easy)

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
My wife has been trying to find a book that has all the ND plants. No luck so far.
I knew the old guy (O. A. Stevens) who wrote Handbook of North Dakota Plants. Stevens Hall at NDSU is named after him and that is the book we used for all of our Botany classes. That may have changed now.

I don't know how true it is, but a Botany prof said Stevens would have his wife drive 40mph while he had a typewriter on the open glove box lid and identified and typed pant communities as fast as she was driving. They would drive North Dakota roads often that way. - - - Updated - - -

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
I knew the old guy (O. A. Stevens) who wrote Handbook of North Dakota Plants. Stevens Hall at NDSU is named after him and that is the book we used for all of our Botany classes. That may have changed now.

I don't know how true it is, but a Botany prof said Stevens would have his wife drive 40mph while he had a typewriter on the open glove box lid and identified and typed pant communities as fast as she was driving. They would drive North Dakota roads often that way. - - - Updated - - -

Found it on Amazon, sounds stupid but is it a picture book? Basically looking for something to quickly identify plants while hiking. Had one in AZ that had all the plants, bugs and wild life.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't eat mushrooms that have "deadly look-alikes" - I stick to the "safe" ones like morels, shaggy manes, chickens, hens, lobsters, etc.

with those and others the worst thing that'll happen is a wicked pukefest - like a wedding reception gone bad

Recovery from that is easy other than some burst blood vessels in your eyes that make you look satanic for a week

- - - Updated - - -

as opposed to "hey, you screwed up, your liver is dying, and so will you" type mushrooms - that is not cool

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm sure these are delicious, but I'm both too lazy, and (over the past few years) too in love with my liver (which is out of training), to eat wilderness products I can't identify.

It's worth mentioning however, with cooler weather on the horizon, that it's nearly salmon chowder time (to be sung to the tune of "Howdy Doody Time").

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Had a nut job move in next to us when we lived in town. They were from Montana and knew everything. Worked for local turkey farm and found big mushrooms growing around turkey barns, said they were going to great for supper. Told him he better double check and he told me he knew one mushroom from the other. About midnight his wife took him to ER. Next on his bucket list was jackrabbit and I think he had to have shots to get rid of the bugs in his blood. Some know it all. Some learn the hard way. I think Will Rogers said it best " Some people listen and some have to pee on the electric fence themselves".

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
jackrabbit? hmmm.. did he mention how he prepared it?

- - - Updated - - -

I bet those mushrooms were "the vomiter" - ha ha ha

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93