Crankbait trolling help

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
A long time ago, the early eighties for sure I heard that THEY were catching walleyes on raps. So I bought a couple of them. My buddy and I tried them in the river south of Bismarck and sure enough they caught fish. I still have one of those lures. I retired it for the memories.

Every once in a while I show that lure to my buddy. We laugh and blame that lure for us having to spend a small fortune on hundreds of raps.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Saw this on a t-shirt in Montana, regarding fly fishing. But it applies to casting cranks too.

"If it were easy, they'd call it trolling".

Norske

Founding Member
Founding Member
What you replied about trolling a bottom bouncer is similar to me fishing with my BIL. One of us drags a bottom bouncer, the other is trolling a crankbait (often a Rapala floating minnow). The driver adjusts the speed so the spinner turns and the crankbait works correctly. The fish usually show us what they want rather quickly.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
my scientific approach is called the Wing It Method. Clip on a crank, make sure it is running correctly and toss it out adjust line length a few times, keep repeating till fish catching results happens.

Apres

Founding Member
Founding Member
I honestly think I caught more fish when I would just toss a flickertail out the back of the boat give the spool a couple of rips and go. the second number on any package refers to how deep it will go when trolled I choose the right size for my depth and caught fish trolling mostly on devils. On short runs on the river in Bismarck I don't bother with the line counters it takes to long to get them to depth just toss troll and catch on any old rod.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I need to try more of that fast trolling 2 -3.5 MPH I have watched boats doing it but the couple times I tried I didn't catch anything. I tried when the water temps were at their peak but one guy mentioned he had a hay day doing this in the early spring back in the bays.

Last edited:

Norske

Founding Member
Founding Member
Back in his PWT days, my BIL learned on Lake Erie that active walleye will hit a fast-moving crankbait any time they are post spawn. We often trolled with his main OB, leaving a bit of a wake behind the boat. It's whatever the fish want, experiment until you learn it.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Thanks to RustyTackelBox for the link on how to tune a crank bait. This old dog learned something new this morning. I owe you one.

ndfishin15

Founding Member
Founding Member
The precision trolling data app is a great tool and you don't have to spend the $100 to get the data. The app is free and you have a choice of buying all the lure data for around $100, buying version 1 which is a package deal, version 2 which is a larger package to include version 1, or buying each lure data separate for about $2. I enjoy trolling but I like to fish many different ways so I do not spend too much when it comes to my lure options. I have a couple lure types for shallow running such as shad raps and flicker shads and I have a few for deep running such as deep tail dancers and reef runners. Since I only troll with maybe 10 different lures I just buy the data by lure. Cranking is fun and is a challenging art form. For those who think cranks are for people who like to lean back and drink beer aren't doing it right. My fishing partner and I are usually always doing something trying to figure out what the fish like. Changing depth, speed, lure profile, lure size, vibration, color, etc. Once you have it figured out then you should be busy reeling in fish, checking to make sure the crank is still tuned, and setting the rods back up at the proper depth. As far as the speed I go my 115 on my Ranger idles from 2-3 and that is the range I have always cranked before I bought my boat. I use drift socks or play the wind to fine tune my speed. For slower speeds I use my trolling motor and use bottom bouncers, snap weights, or 3-way set ups to get the lures to depth. Some cranks need to get up to speed to work and some dive just as well at slower speeds. An example is deep tail dancers don't seem to reach their potential unless going 2+ while reef runners reach their target depth easily going slower. Just remember the app is a good tool to get close but keep fine tuning from there. I great starter tip is set each rod with a different lure at different depth keeping the more erratic actions on the outside and the tight actions on the inside.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 10
  • This month: 6
  • This month: 5
  • This month: 5
  • This month: 4