Crankbaitin-Boat Control

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I see quite often that when a crankbait fish is hooked that people just keep on keeping on while basically skiing in the fish. To me skiing in a 3 lb plus fish is not all that fun. Im new to cranking, so im curious, does a guy leave the boat in gear, slow down, or stop altogether. Reel other lines? I'm curious what everyone does when they hook a crankbait fish?

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Big fish NUETRAL
Small fish Skiing :)

Like this,

Last edited:

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you're in strong current you don't have much choice, you have to ski them in. If you can't keep going, like when my boy snagged a buffalo carp in the side, you have to get all lines in, and chase it down. I think you'll lose less fish if you just slow down a little. In the lake we'll put boat in neutral, for a bit to slow down, but keep it moving forward, and try to keep it straight.

RangerNation81

Founding Member
Founding Member
For me it all depends on the situation!! If it's a tournament I'll try and keep the boat moving unless it's a really nice fish! More than likely if you can keep the boat moving or even slow down a touch it might trigger another bite! If it's a windy nasty day then for sure keep the boat moving to avoid a cluster ****!

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
041.jpg
Water Ski the ones you can, if they are over 20-22" I slow down. In and out of gear, make sure you don't turn the boat.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
if you have four to six lines out sometimes skiing is alot easier than pulling lines. most of the time big fish won't do that anyway.

RangerNation81

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMG_20150625_190055164.jpg
Water Ski the ones you can, if they are over 20-22" I slow down. In and out of gear, make sure you don't turn the boat.
I'm going to agree to disagree!! If one of my outside rods get a nice fish I try to keep the fish on the outside of the boat!! Less peices and parts that could cut or snag my line!! And to do this I will keep my forward motion and slowly then towards the side that the fish is being fought of of! Works perfectly fine as long as the person fighting the fish keeps good tension on the hook!

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah it all situational. There's been good input above. IMO, cranking isn't for fighting fish fun. It's way more for searching, catching lots of fish and many times larger fish on average.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just slow down a little bit unless it is a bigger fish then I will throw it in neutral.

Plain Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I never slow down. Unless it is a fish so big that I can't move him. The only thing you are going to do by slowing down or hitting neutral is give that fish a chance to get slack line. Then he is gone. If you can't get a 26" or less fish to the boat without slowing down you need better equipment. Try that pulling lead and let me know how it works out. Just my $0.02.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 104
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 47
  • This month: 46