CWD wanted to share this

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why hasn’t liberal Canada banned baiting? Trophy whitetail hunts over bait bring in huge revenue.

Tillerman2095

Founding Member
Founding Member
[h=2]Nine more deer found suspect for CWD: 3 south of Billings, 6 on the Hi-Line[/h]
Test results from CWD surveillance samples taken during the last week of Montana’s general hunting season showed nine more deer to be suspect of chronic wasting disease.
South of Billings in Carbon County, two mule deer — a buck and a doe — and a white-tailed buck from CWD-positive areas showed suspect for the disease.
Along the Hi-Line, three mule deer from CWD-positive areas in Blaine County and two mule deer bucks from the CWD-positive area in Valley County all returned as suspect for the disease. A mule deer buck from Phillips County, outside a CWD positive area, was also discovered to be suspect for the disease.
This brings the total suspect of positive animals found in this year’s surveillance efforts to 22 deer – five from the CWD positive area south of Billings and 17 from along the Hi-Line.
In the coming weeks, FWP officials will look back at this year’s surveillance effort along the northern part of the state and determine the next steps forward in addressing CWD, including any management actions. CWD surveillance efforts will continue next year to include portions of the southeast corner of the state.
For more information on CWD in Montana, go online to fwp.mt.gov/CWD.
Hunters should properly dispose of carcasses. Once an animal with CWD dies, any part of the carcass can transmit the disease for at least two years. Safely disposing of all animal parts in solid waste landfills will help prevent the transmission of CWD.

I have been getting a lot of these advisories this year. Montana has a problem with CWD & its not getting any better.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nasty stuff, glad it's not known to transfer to humans. Wrote a paper on it in college.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is "suspect" a positive or a negative for CWD in Montana??

Also, I'll paraphrase the video clip. First they talk about a "scary" disease called CWD. Then they talk about human cannibalism in new guinea and how a similar human disease was transmitted through eating human corpses. Then they talk about mad cow disease and explain how feeding cattle remains back to cattle was a bad idea and caused mad cow disease. Then they talk about the prion or causal protein and how normal cellular proteins can be converted into disease proteins, but don't say how this happens. Then they talk about scapie disease in sheep and how that's bad which then leads to discussing Norway and how that govt. killed off an entire herd of reindeer because they got scared about CWD. What does this video have to do with CWD in deer again????

Last edited:

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
The experts nowadays don't seem to be very convinced on that particular fact anymore.

I see they are questioning the idea now. I wrote the paper 16 years ago. They have always been leery about consuming spinal area meat.

- - - Updated - - -

Capt. Ahab. You are the expert!

Not claiming to be. Just remember a few things from the 10 pager I did back in the day. It is an interesting subject

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
“one in a million chance I’ll get CWD from eating an infected deer? Screw it, I’m not eating that, not worth the risk.” says average Joe.

Average Joe then eats his last slice of deluxe pizza, finishes his 5th beer for the evening, lights up a smoke, and heads for home, hoping he doesn’t get pulled over tonight.

- - - Updated - - -

Joe needs to get home and hit the rack you see... because Joe is excited to fish early ice in the morning with his buddies. Yep, Joe Ditka is all about minimizing risk, even remote risks like CWD!

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
so this may have been asked in one of the many threads that has touched on CWD but is there "prrof" or real scientific facts or data collected that CWD has actually spread or are "we" ( biologists, G&F department etc) just much more efficeint and accurate in testing positive results so what "appears" to be spreading has actrually in fact been around since time, no spreading had occured it were justing testing better??? honest question

- - - Updated - - -

and wouldnt a slightly aggressive managemnt plan be appropriate in CWD units to decrease carry capacity thus limitng the "spread" of this particular herd of deer known to have it?
again no armchair biology degree whatso ever but shouldnt those things be looked at as well as opposed baiting is the devil and sole cause of this disease attitude

Meelosh

★★★★★ Legendary Member
It's hard to say man. No smoking guns. Take a look at this: https://www.sciencemag.org/news/201...deer-herd-stop-fatal-infectious-brain-disease

How did it show up an ocean away? I don't think there is a lot of live animals being shipped from here to Europe but I could be wrong. For me personally, I think its a bigger issue for elk than deer because they can live so much longer. Most deer are dead before they'll ever show symptoms. Take what I say with a grain of salt though. I'm not nearly as read-up about the issue as some other folks. Right now, I'm just treating it as a "life will go on" type thing and I'm going to keep eating venison.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
“one in a million chance I’ll get CWD from eating an infected deer? Screw it, I’m not eating that, not worth the risk.” says average Joe.

Average Joe then eats his last slice of deluxe pizza, finishes his 5th beer for the evening, lights up a smoke, and heads for home, hoping he doesn’t get pulled over tonight.

- - - Updated - - -

Joe needs to get home and hit the rack you see... because Joe is excited to fish early ice in the morning with his buddies. Yep, Joe Ditka is all about minimizing risk, even remote risks like CWD!

Is Joe willing to eat the mercury contaminated walleye

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
hell yeah bro... (deaf frat guy)

the selenium that’s along for the ride cock blocks that pussy metal mercury

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is "suspect" a positive or a negative for CWD in Montana??

?

I believe "suspect" are animals that outwardly exhibited clinical signs of the disease but the test results have not yet been completed.

I also believe that the person who develops a near immediate testing procedure will find him/her self nearly immediately wealthy.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
so this may have been asked in one of the many threads that has touched on CWD but is there "prrof" or real scientific facts or data collected that CWD has actually spread or are "we" ( biologists, G&F department etc) just much more efficeint and accurate in testing positive results so what "appears" to be spreading has actrually in fact been around since time, no spreading had occured it were justing testing better??? honest question

- - - Updated - - -

and wouldnt a slightly aggressive managemnt plan be appropriate in CWD units to decrease carry capacity thus limitng the "spread" of this particular herd of deer known to have it?
again no armchair biology degree whatso ever but shouldnt those things be looked at as well as opposed baiting is the devil and sole cause of this disease attitude
Yeah don't suggest to them being more aggressive other states have tried this and it fails epicly every time! If you want a case study in this look no further than Wisconsin's reaction or more so ridiculous over reaction in which they tried to kill every single deer in a given area and failed epically. For the past few years biologists loved to point at Wyoming showing the negative effects of CWD decimating the heard there unfortunately for their point Wyoming got a couple good Winters in a row and now the area that was running low has record numbers of deer shooting they're whole premise to hell and back!

- - - Updated - - -

Does the process of cooking to adequate temp destroy the cwd?
Prions are not a living thing therefore they cannot be killed with heat alcohol or even radiation. Even medical autoclave cannot destroy them. Brains that have been infected with them and kept in formaldehyde jars for decades still have the ability to pass them on and infect new areas. This is why once they get in the soil there's pretty much no getting rid of them.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
dean

so were gonna base this as factual from 1 case study?? as im sure you very well know case studies are one of the lowest forms of research a person can do...1 step above joe blows opinion.....

like me doing a case report on 1 persons response to knee injury and taking those results and basing it to an entire population...

screw it it didnt work on "suzie" its not gonna work on my next 756 patient.........

- - - Updated - - -

i guess until we know more about this and have definitive yes/no anwers it could all be consideres speculative and eveyrthing could be consiodered knee jerk reaction.

another big thing in regards to research is look who "paying" for the study ive review my fair share of medical journals and you would be surpised how many journals are getting paid from big pharma companies......i.e bias...

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 112
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 61
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 51
  • This month: 50
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 38