Deck advice for guy

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
First of all the city of Fargo is going to tell you what your required to do. First thing they’re going to tell you is it has to have a 4’ foundation at each post. Most cities are pretty strict on what’s required on decks now. There should be good info on the permit application

NodakBob

Honored Member
the 4' foundation will only be required if you attach the deck to the house. My vote would be a concrete or paver patio...then you never have maintenance issues, or crap underneath a low deck such as hornet nests, stinky dead cats, cats in heat, skunks etc...

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Boat deck is way better than a back of the house deck:;:cheers#$%^&> LB

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
First of all the city of Fargo is going to tell you what your required to do. First thing they’re going to tell you is it has to have a 4’ foundation at each post. Most cities are pretty strict on what’s required on decks now. There should be good info on the permit application
I don’t live in Fargo. I live in an incorporated city of ~50 people

- - - Updated - - -

I like how a deck drains rain evenly and spreads the moisture across a large area - including my foundation. I prefer the adjacent soil to keep expanding/contracting in unison with the rest.

I’m leaning heavily toward building my own floating deck - approximately 20” high.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
an older house I owned had a concrete patio, the weight appeared to push the foundation inward. But not as bad as the concrete steps on the front of the house.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
It’s also in a corner where there’s movement (sheetwall moves around in that corner) - I think tying it to house would expose the deck to more movement/torque than floating.

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
You will save money, and will also like the floating deck idea. Not that hard to build. Your handy enough (from other pictures i have seen ) to make it come out strong and just the way YOU like and want it.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I was in Ga, the base built a nice dock using all plastic "lumber" on Grassy Pond. In the six years I was there the appearance didn't change appreciably. It could've been "restored" with rattle cans. I have no other input except I don't see barracks for whores. You can't just leave them chained outside: It's a morale deal.

- - - Updated - - -

This is my current side add. Oh Dawn Dawn Dawn...

5a14a6b425584b869c8d0e18c511aca6_image_ad_300x250.png

Ruttin

Founding Member
Founding Member
If the basement has shown signs of movement I would definitely not place frost footings. Attached to the house may be ok imo.

For snow removal one of those little two stroke snowblowers is handy.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Then I won’t tell you how many decks I’ve had to fix due to them being “floaters” lol. Some people just need to learn these things for themselves

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Then I won’t tell you how many decks I’ve had to fix due to them being “floaters” lol. Some people just need to learn these things for themselves

Please do tell me about the cons of floaters.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Pro's of a floater is your normal DIY can build and fix a floater. I have worked on building stuff in that heavy river bottom soil and that shit move"s a lot. Wet, Dry, or Frosty Froze its going to move. LB

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have had zero issues with floaters , and all in very bad frost heaves/ ground moving areas. I believe they are 13,10 and 4 years old. But then again, I certainly do not know it all. MAYBE I can learn something?

Last edited:

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Please do tell me about the cons of floaters.
Cons-they move around. Which leads to the following
-eventually tearing your fasteners loose for the ledger board hangers
-if they don’t have ledger boards I’ve seen many rise up to a height higher than the patio door threshold so you trip
-impossible to keep your railing in decent shape. They constantly loosen up due to the movement
-steps get all kinds of wacked out and due to the movement eventually part says with its connection to the deck
-deck itself can get so unlevel you struggle to even walk across it
-posts eventually loosen up to where the decks structural integrity is in question.

can you build a floating deck and it last? Absolutely. They don’t all do this. It’s 100% depending on the weather,soil conditions and amount of moisture. Basically you just have to decide if it’s worth the risk and will I have the money or desire to repair it. In honesty it’s no more work to do it right in a way that will no doubt last.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
There's a happy medium - right?

A freestanding deck is also an option. Piers down to 60" - deck stands on the piers but is not attached to the house.

- - - Updated - - -

I plan to build deck so there's one step up into the house - so deck can rise/fall - doors still open for snow/ice.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
There's a happy medium - right?

A freestanding deck is also an option. Piers down to 60" - deck stands on the piers but is not attached to the house.

- - - Updated - - -

I plan to build deck so there's one step up into the house - so deck can rise/fall - doors still open for snow/ice.
this works fine. Requires a little more diagonal bracing to get sturdy but not a big deal

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tying ALL your posts together right, will basically take out any major movements throughout the deck. IF it moves, it all moves in the same direction.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've built(with good help) a couple floaters and they do move around. That said, you can always redo a fastener, flip a board, add or remove dirt/fill and make it right again. Each new season presents a guy with a few tasks, but it isn't ever major or expensive. Worst case scenario, you get pissed and hook a chain to it and pull it to a location you can burn it.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 19
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 13
  • This month: 9
  • This month: 8
  • This month: 8
  • This month: 7
  • This month: 6
  • This month: 5