Deep Cycle vs Marine Starting vs Dual Purpose

drayweb

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Which one should I get? Need it to start my outboard. Also use it for one depth finder and bilge and livewell pump. I sometimes swap it out for my pop-up camper too.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a link with some info.

https://marinebatteryguy.com/deep-cycle-battery/

Ruddy Duck

Honored Member
I have been using a group 31 Crown dual purpose in my boat the last year and it has been good. It is my starting battery and also powers hds 12, hds 9 and helix 7 and all other 12v accessories in the boat.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I put the biggest cold cranking amp CAT battery I could get in mine last summer. Fucker starts in under a second. Runs 2 locators, radio, live wells, and has never wavered. Not sure if you need the deep cycle part or not, but this one has been a beauty.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I gotta check my crank battery tray when I get the boat out of storage. Currently have a 24 series Interstate crank battery, but thinking maybe a larger dual purpose would be a good idea. On long trolling days I start the big motor every hour...run it for 10 mins to make sure start battery good. Prolly don't need to do that...don't think my Lowrance on the dash pulls that much...

Monks

I run a 36v series interstate deep cycle for the trolling motor 110lb Ulterra on a 2185 Recon I can run the trolling motor all day long no problem , thing with interstate is if your not ruining a deep cycle in your boat they warrant the battery , I know that from experience unfortunately...Have a interstate deep cycle cranking battery Never have had an issue with starting and a cheap walmart deep cycle for my accessories, 3 Helix 10s and a 12 Gen 3s , personally I believe in having your graphs on a separate circuit due to possible power surges and interference that motors and what not can cause .

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought an exide megacycle type 31 a couple years ago, thing weighs 78 lbs but it's never let me down. Starts the boat, runs 4 big graphs livewells and stereos all day and still cranks right up.
exide-marine-batteries-mc-31ds-64_1000.jpg

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My type 24 interstate is still in my boat. Was there when I bought the boat new in 2008 and was still going strong last year. Posting this is the "kiss of death" I bet. I will not cry if I have to replace but don't know if I have room to up size.

Monks

My type 24 interstate is still in my boat. Was there when I bought the boat new in 2008 and was still going strong last year. Posting this is the "kiss of death" I bet. I will not cry if I have to replace but don't know if I have room to up size.

So yeah i did the same thing ...talked up my battery set up ..went to the boat today to find my cranking battery dropped a cell which than killed my accessory battery , they’re tied together for charging purposes...So yeah good Luck !

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 76
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 52
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 32
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 31